FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amtrak | Guest Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards-399/)
-   -   Chase Amtrak Mastercard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1250149-chase-amtrak-mastercard.html)

atanac Aug 21, 2011 5:54 pm

Chase Amtrak Mastercard

Currently Chase is offering a measly 12000 bonus points when you sign up for a new Mastercard.
How or where is the best way/website to find out when a better offer comes along? I do read
many of the blogs that update people on airline and hotel deals but can't recall any of those
mentioning an Amtrak CC offer. If anyone has some insights to share with me on how best to be
alerted to a new deal I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance.

diogenes2011 Aug 21, 2011 6:26 pm

Check out the sticky in the MilesBuzz forum:

"The special credit card offers master thread"

Two offers, one for 30,000 and the other for 32,000 points.

beltway Aug 21, 2011 7:39 pm

That would be http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...er-thread.html

drbobguy Aug 21, 2011 7:48 pm

My understanding is that Chase and AGR split the first-use bonus points. So if the bonus is 12,000 points, each of them puts in 6,000 points. This matters because apparently for the better offers AGR will only deposit the points if you're targeted.

I'm not 100% certain about this, but the 32,000 offer is targeted, so if you apply you may only get the 16,000 miles from Chase while AGR refuses to deposit their 16,000 into your account. Still that's better than 12,000, so it's worth a shot.

I just applied for the 32,000 because I have a bunch of Amtrak travel coming up in the next 4-5 monthts (10 trips or more). I was declined but am hoping I can get through for reconsideration. I've done so many other CC signups in the past 6 months it doesn't surprise me, but those were all for airline miles that I only need for vacation, whereas the Amtrak travel I have to do one way or the other, and I'd prefer to save the money if possible.

atanac Aug 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Outstanding follow up by you three. I will call Chase tomorrow and inquire about the card code mentioned
on the 30K offer. If they say it is still valid I will go with that one since the other for 32K doesn't
indicate the promotion code.

Really appreciate all your very valuable comments!:)

ywlke Aug 22, 2011 5:44 am

Originally Posted by atanac (Post 16967570)
Outstanding follow up by you three. I will call Chase tomorrow and inquire about the card code mentioned
on the 30K offer. If they say it is still valid I will go with that one since the other for 32K doesn't
indicate the promotion code.

Really appreciate all your very valuable comments!:)

Remember that while Chase may say it's valid, it's the points from Amtrak that you may not get.

drbobguy Aug 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by ywlke (Post 16969212)
Remember that while Chase may say it's valid, it's the points from Amtrak that you may not get.

Yep. Would be interested in hearing your experience with this, as it there are very few recent reports (and I've looked on other forums as well).

The AGR card is actually a great card to have, even without any bonus points. If you regularly ride Amtrak the points are generally more lucrative than airline points (since redemptions cost way less in terms of points), so there's great value in that. Add in the fact that there's no annual fee and it's a great credit card to have. The bonus points are just the icing on the cake.

beltway Aug 22, 2011 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by drbobguy (Post 16974635)
Yep. Would be interested in hearing your experience with this, as it there are very few recent reports (and I've looked on other forums as well).

The AGR card is actually a great card to have, even without any bonus points. If you regularly ride Amtrak the points are generally more lucrative than airline points (since redemptions cost way less in terms of points), so there's great value in that. Add in the fact that there's no annual fee and it's a great credit card to have. The bonus points are just the icing on the cake.

Plus, AGR is giving 5% rebates to cardholders on redemptions for Amtrak travel (so a 1-zone o/w costs 2850 points).

AlanB Aug 22, 2011 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by ywlke (Post 16969212)

Actually I've seen a few people report that AGR even adjusted the Chase points back to the correct level because people didn't qualify for the promo.

And let me also point out that this forum is regularly visited and read by AGR personnel.

ywlke Aug 23, 2011 7:22 am

Originally Posted by drbobguy (Post 16974635)

I don't have personal experience with this one. I've just read reports that you need to well-document any targeted promotions as sometimes Amtrak will even forget that they targeted you and give you fewer points than they should have.

atanac Aug 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by AlanB (Post 16975506)
Actually I've seen a few people report that AGR even adjusted the Chase points back to the correct level because people didn't qualify for the promo.

That is hard to believe as Chase purchases points from Amtrak and then they use the points
anyway they wish. Don't see how Amtrak could influence Chase to renege on their own
promotional ad.

kspeed55 Aug 24, 2011 6:15 pm

I looked at this offer and it says: "This exclusive offer is limited to the member and member number to whom this offer was communicated."

soundslikepuget Aug 25, 2011 12:59 am

Does anybody know what credit score you ought to have to even bother applying for the card? I travel Amtrak frequently, so I'd like to get it, but graduate school bills put my credit rating lower than I'd like it to be.

Anybody know what the cutoff seems to be?

Much obliged.

nerd Aug 25, 2011 8:12 am

Originally Posted by soundslikepuget (Post 16990492)
Does anybody know what credit score you ought to have to even bother applying for the card? I travel Amtrak frequently, so I'd like to get it, but graduate school bills put my credit rating lower than I'd like it to be.

Anybody know what the cutoff seems to be?

Much obliged.

This was discussed once before, without much consensus:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...astercard.html

amamba Aug 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by atanac (Post 16986711)
That is hard to believe as Chase purchases points from Amtrak and then they use the points
anyway they wish. Don't see how Amtrak could influence Chase to renege on their own
promotional ad.

Well it happened to me. This was back with maybe the 16K point offer, and I received it to my email address, but I have a bunch of cards in my name so my H clicked on the link and filled it out, etc. He even called Chase before hand and they promised that he would be eligible for the promo.

On our first statement it clearly stated that we got the 8K points from them. But only 6K total (3K from chase, 3K from AGR) showed up in his agr account. They stated that since he wasn't elible for the promo he could only get the total of 6K points. I have so many AGR points that it wasn't worth fighting over.

EDIT: I should add that with the AGR mastercard, the points show at the bottom of your Chase statement and then flow over to AGR. So it is AGR who is maintaining your point balance at all times, not chase.