Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Tips for a Long Distance First Timer??

Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile

Hi There.... My husband and I are going to be taking the Starlight from Seattle to Napa.... we've booked a Bedroom from Seattle to Napa... very excited... a little nervous (21 HOURS!)

we love the Acela from Boston to NYC for personal... and i use it all the time for work....

so any tips?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Keep an open mind. If a private space to relax and watch the world pass by is your main reason for taking the train it will likely be enjoyable. I see you have 1MM on AA. Have you have flown the Flagship suite on the AA 777? If you have and enjoyed it, I think you will enjoy the train. If however you fixated on how much better your flight would have ben on an Asian carrier (as is a common pastime on the AA forum)… well… you might be in for a disappointment.

Only tip I can think of is to try and not get the bedroom that is at the end of the car as it is smaller (room “A” I think)
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
The coast starlight has a special first class car called the Pacific Parlour Car that will offer you a place to watch the world go by. In addition you may take your meals there.
Also the coast starlight is WIFI enabled.

from Amtrak website
"Sleeping car passengers can experience a full range of exclusive services and amenities on the Coast Starlight, including complimentary onboard internet access via AmtrakConnect and an exciting alternative meal service, both available in the Parlour Car. Each sleeping car passenger will receive complimentary meals (with the exception of alcohol) in the Dining Car or the Parlour Car, a special welcome gift and a personal amenities kit that includes shampoo, soaps and lotions. A daily tasting of local wines and artisan cheeses is available for a nominal fee in the refurbished Pacific Parlor Car. This "living room on rails" is the perfect place for sleeping car passengers to relax, celebrate or socialize. With a specialty coffee bar, onboard theater and alternative dining venue, the Pacific Parlour Car will make your Coast Starlight experience unforgettable."
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:34 pm

There's only one route for that pair, so I assume you're taking the overnight Coast Starlight to Martinez and then finishing the trip via bus for about an hour.

My first recommendation is to pack with the knowledge that you'll be on the bus! There's no checked baggage on the thru to Napa, so you'll be lugging it.

For the overnight portion of the trip I bring a small bag with at least:
- Night clothes
- Night slippers (really cheap $3 pair from IKEA)
- Needed medical items (CPAP)
- Tomorrow's change of sundries (briefs/socks) and a clean shirt.
- Small alarm clock/smart phone/computing tablet
- Toiletries to include toothbrush/paste and a hairbrush/comb

That bag gets chucked into the overhead bed the moment I hit the cabin and I forget about it 'til I need it. Most people don't realize that there is ample space in the top bunk for stowing things you won't need 'til later, but I've gotten so comfortable with at least the Roomette's that I've dropped the beds myself when I had a no-show attendant.

For the cabin during the day I pack a small backpack with
- a few pieces of fresh fruit (the one hard thing to obtain on the train)
- cocoa powder*
- some reading/writing material
- a card game or two**
- the camera for all that scenery you paid for
- personal portable music system (and the wall plug for said unit)
- the laptop (if you're that sort of person).

Amtrak does a good job of providing water, hot chocolate (see note below) and drip coffee to the sleepers. The snack car has boxed/canned foods similar to what the airlines sell now-a-days and the dining car will keep you fed at mealtimes. Since you're boarding after 9:30am, I don't think you get breakfast on day one, but lunch, dinner and the next morning's breakfast (if you are an early bird) will be included.

My wife and I love taking the train when we're not in a hurry. It gives us a chance to leave all of 'right now craziness' and just enjoy the day while the countryside passes us by.

Enjoy it!

* Amtrak usually provides packets of hot chocolate, but my experience is that whichever cabin has the kids in it usually ends up with all of the packets within minutes of departure, or at least within minutes of discovering them out by the hot water tap.

** We typically bring card games because they are compact and can be deployed onto the tiny tray tables in the sleepers. We'll often head to the observation/lounge car to play if we're not taking space away from others. We also tend to bring games others can join in on if they like, as we are always happy to teach a new game to fellow travellers.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"so any tips?"

Speaking of tips, don't forget to.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:51 pm

That's a good point.

Sleeper guests' meals are paid for, but you should still tip the server as though you paid for the meal.

Sleeper attendants are usually tipped for good service. I've had one long distance trip where I didn't tip the attendant at all... And that's because I didn't see them for more than four minutes when we first boarded. (That was the trip I was glad I knew how to convert the cabin on my own.)
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
thanks everyone... super helpful...

@byron... we actually are skipping the bus and are renting a car in Martinez... the bus was a little too adventurous for me.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:27 pm

I also recommend the use of the Pacific Parlor Car. It is a very relaxing atmosphere.
This may or may not relate to you, but as sleeping car passengers, you are allowed to bring on your own adult beverages to enjoy. However, you have to consume such only in your sleeping compartment.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
Not done that particular route but have 'done' the Empire Builder 3 times in numerous directions each of which was about a 47 hour long trip.
The Dining Car is a great place to talk to your fellow passengers and, in our case, learn more about the people & places that make up the USA.
We love rail travel & are more than happy to sit & read in our bedroom, wander around the train & relax in the viewing car.
Staff on our journeys have always been polite & friendly & i would agree with the other posts about tipping.
We tipped $5pppn to our bedroom attendant & about 15-20% in the dining car which I was told is about right.
Have a great trip!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Tanya934
Not done that particular route but have 'done' the Empire Builder 3 times in numerous directions each of which was about a 47 hour long trip.
The Dining Car is a great place to talk to your fellow passengers and, in our case, learn more about the people & places that make up the USA.
We love rail travel & are more than happy to sit & read in our bedroom, wander around the train & relax in the viewing car.
Staff on our journeys have always been polite & friendly & i would agree with the other posts about tipping.
We tipped $5pppn to our bedroom attendant & about 15-20% in the dining car which I was told is about right.
Have a great trip!
I rode the Empire Builder in the 1960's. Looking forward to riding it again. Expecting something a little different from back then. Me, for example, since I was in my teens.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: Amtrak Select
I am a very light sleeper, so the best two things I brought on my cross country trip earlier this year (PVD - NYP - CHI - LAX - SEA) were ear plugs and adult beverages. Plus my scanner of course!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Hi Everyone! Woke up a half hour ago... 19 1/2 hours and pulling up to Sacramento... things have been fantastic, and in no small part to all of your help.

once we deboard and get settled in Napa, i'll do an a full posting for future newbies...

Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:08 am

Looking forward to a trip report and your own insights, or which ones were helpful (or not).
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
I am going to be taking this route next April but starting in Portland and ending in Santa Barbara. I would
really like to know how punctual your train was. On time departure? On time arrival? Any long delays
at any of the stations? Appreciate hearing from you on this subject.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by schriste
Only tip I can think of is to try and not get the bedroom that is at the end of the car as it is smaller (room A I think)
This is really good information. Just wanted to ask again if you are sure of this. If so, do you know how many bedroom units there are on the Coast Starlight? Also, do you know if there is a train layout available that shows where each type of room is on a train car?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.