Chase Amtrak Mastercard

Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by amamba
Well it happened to me. This was back with maybe the 16K point offer, and I received it to my email address, but I have a bunch of cards in my name so my H clicked on the link and filled it out, etc. He even called Chase before hand and they promised that he would be eligible for the promo.

On our first statement it clearly stated that we got the 8K points from them. But only 6K total (3K from chase, 3K from AGR) showed up in his agr account. They stated that since he wasn't elible for the promo he could only get the total of 6K points. I have so many AGR points that it wasn't worth fighting over.

EDIT: I should add that with the AGR mastercard, the points show at the bottom of your Chase statement and then flow over to AGR. So it is AGR who is maintaining your point balance at all times, not chase.
They are certainly going to hear it from me if they try to pull that S#*T with me. As far as I'm
concerned that is a "Bait & Switch" move and I will report them to the appropriate authorities.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by atanac
They are certainly going to hear it from me if they try to pull that S#*T with me. As far as I'm
concerned that is a "Bait & Switch" move and I will report them to the appropriate authorities.
That is why the emails say for member XXXXXX, etc. It was quite the argument. The only way that they said they would give him the points is if he could fax or forward them a copy of an email that was addressed to HIM specifically with the offer. Since we didn't have it, we gave up. Now I have already redeemed over 100K points worth of awards since I've had the card and still have a ton of points, so again, it wasn't worth the hassle to me.

But please, go for it. I hope you get the points!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 3:56 pm

Well I just got approved after reconsideration. I was targeted for the 32k one, so I have no worries. But I convinced my sister to apply and she hadn't been targeted. She didn't even have an AGR account although she rides Amtrak semi-regularly (one of those people who don't bother with rewards programs). I hope she gets some miles if not all of them.

It's stupid AGR doesn't honor it when it's a public link. Of course many people (particularly on FT) might be knowingly trying to get in on a targeted offer that they were themselves not targeted for. But there are lots of people who get the link via someone recommending it to them, and they have no idea it was a targeted offer. What Chase should do is not even show you the app or offer until you've plugged in your invitation code. That way no one gets confused.

Well I hope my sis gets at least some of the points (12k?) even if not amount for the targeted offer.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by beltway
The Chase AMTRAK offer link for 30K points has a card code listed on the ad as D8MZ. Nowhere in any
of the fine print do they mention this was a targeted offer. When I called to apply they asked for
the code, confirmed the bonus offer and all the details as listed and I received instant approval.

Has anyone not received the full amount of 32K for this offer or been told that it was targeted?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: Amtrak Select
It's possible that since the 30K mile promo has a code it is available for the public and you won't run into the issues I had with the offer last year. Also there are several folks that have successfully argued for the points. YMMV, but I encourage everyone to give it a shot because maybe you will better luck than me. I am just relaying my personal experience.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:28 am

Edited to remove incorrect info.

Last edited by lkar; Sep 17, 2011 at 8:33 am
Old Sep 18, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Amtrak Select, SPG Gold
For what it's worth, I applied for the 32k offer in early August without (to my knowledge) being targeted and received the bonus points without issue. I'm an amtrak select member, so I'm not sure if that effected things. I had not been signed up for amtrak emails until after applying to the card, so I don't think they even could have targeted me.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:52 am

I am interested in applying this Amtrak MC and convert the reward points into Continental miles. Here is my question, I saw this line in the 30,000 point promotion link under its terms and conditions, #6:

'After you spend $200 or more in a calendar year on Amtrak purchases using your Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard, you will then be eligible to redeem for airline miles, hotel points, Audience Rewards and experiential rewards.'

Does this mean I won't be able to move points to miles until I spend $200 with Amtrak? TIA
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by jc66
'After you spend $200 or more in a calendar year on Amtrak purchases using your Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard, you will then be eligible to redeem for airline miles, hotel points, Audience Rewards and experiential rewards.'

Does this mean I won't be able to move points to miles until I spend $200 with Amtrak? TIA
That is correct. Unless you pay for Amtrak travel with the credit card you will not be allowed to transfer any points out.

You should also know that even if you do take an trip that you'll only be able to transfer 25,000 points out this year. You'd have to take another trip next year to get the other 5,000 points out. There is a limit of 25,000 points outgoing, unless one has Select or Select Plus status with AGR.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by AlanB
That is correct. Unless you pay for Amtrak travel with the credit card you will not be allowed to transfer any points out.

You should also know that even if you do take an trip that you'll only be able to transfer 25,000 points out this year. You'd have to take another trip next year to get the other 5,000 points out. There is a limit of 25,000 points outgoing, unless one has Select or Select Plus status with AGR.
Do you know if the $200 spend has to be paid travel? Or can you simply buy $200 worth of AGR points with the credit card?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoDamage
Do you know if the $200 spend has to be paid travel? Or can you simply buy $200 worth of AGR points with the credit card?
The T&C's say "Amtrak travel spend". That sounds different from spending $200 with AGR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.