Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak AGR Upgrade Voucher Compendium

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak AGR Upgrade Voucher Compendium

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Thanks for the info!

Trip will be midweek, midday from BOS-NYP, so hopefully it's not a peak time. The fares are still pretty low so I'm hoping that bodes well. Will be a new experience getting to ride in the fancy car for a change.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by octr202
Thanks for the info!

Trip will be midweek, midday from BOS-NYP, so hopefully it's not a peak time. The fares are still pretty low so I'm hoping that bodes well. Will be a new experience getting to ride in the fancy car for a change.
Dunno about NEC trains, but if Acela, you should have no problem at all upgrading both of you to First. NEC business class is far from "fancy car", so hoping you mean Acela!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Yes, Acela. The NEC Regional business is hardly worth an upgrade, I agree!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by octr202
Yes, Acela. The NEC Regional business is hardly worth an upgrade, I agree!
Acela First is great. Decent food at your huge comfy seat, free cocktails, and (almost always) friendly attentive attendants. And although it's not officially a quiet car, people mostly tend to keep their voices down, even on the phone.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:55 am
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
I just bought two tickets on the Acela using a companion certificate. I have a pile of 48 hour upgrade certificates - can I use two to upgrade both of us from biz to first when the window opens? If paid tickets I assume yes but not sure how the companion certificate plays into it.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by bdohmen
I just bought two tickets on the Acela using a companion certificate. I have a pile of 48 hour upgrade certificates - can I use two to upgrade both of us from biz to first when the window opens? If paid tickets I assume yes but not sure how the companion certificate plays into it.
You won't be able to stack the coupons in that way. I'm not sure if you could use just one to upgrade just the paid ticket, but you definitely can't upgrade the companion couponed ticket with the business class coupon.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I'm a relative newbie to AGR but saw something today that I hadn't heard about here before. Was booked in Acela Business BOS-NYP, and about 3 hours prior to departure, I received a pop-up notification from the Amtrak mobile app to upgrade from Business to First for 51$. I was considering using an upgrade voucher anyway, but decided to bite at the 51$ offer only for my credit card to decline the charge and flag it as a fraud alert. As a result, I couldn't get the upgrade ticketed. Trying this again later with a new payment option did not bring up the offer again for me.

I eventually ended up using an upgrade voucher (now I had really made up my mind to go in First!) only to, sigh, end up in a 4-seat table. First Class on this train ended up being 100% full until STM. I know the vouchers are good starting 12-hours prior to departure (I got these vouchers from a 10k AGR points redemption), but how would the other regulars value a voucher versus a 51$ day-of upgrade offer?

Furthermore, there's no way to see seating availability in First before applying an upgrade voucher, is there?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by progapanda
Furthermore, there's no way to see seating availability in First before applying an upgrade voucher, is there?
I've never been given any option to ever see seating availability on Amtrak, regardless of the ticket class.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:12 am

Can I order upgrade vouchers and apply them to family members when I am not one of the travelers ?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
What do you all think the chances are of clearing a 12hr upgrade on a Friday 11am BOS-PHL Acela?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:49 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Pretty good. Late morning trains don't have as large of a business crowd.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
I don’t think I have ever failed to clear an upgrade on the Acela so long as I submitted the request right at the start of the window. YMMV, but I would say your odds are good.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 12:39 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Tried to find this on the site or T&Cs and came up blank.

If you qualify for select in fall 2023, do you get 2 upgrade coupons for 2023 and then another set for 2024? Or just the two for 2024?
Old Sep 3, 2023, 10:28 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Looks like you get coupons issued when you qualify for status that are good for one year from date of issue.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
12 hour upgrade issues

Has anyone been having issues using 12 hour upgrades since the new fare regime came into effect?

I checked the app exactly 12 hours before my last train (Acela) but there was absolutely no option to apply an upgrade coupon. Logging onto the website was no better.

There was definitely availability for first class as they were still selling it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.