Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2010 Year End AGR Points Totals

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
2010 Year End AGR Points Totals

So because we here in the AGR forum are just as cool as those in the airline forums, I figured I would once again create this thread. I made (This One) last year and it seemed popular. Obviously I will start.

Rail Points: 3,578
Points Earned: 8,538
Total Points: 13,458
Segments: 4

Not bad I thought. Trips were BWI-PHL, SEA-CHI, LAX-CHI and CHI-MKA
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, PriorityClub Platinum
I pretty much gave up on flying between BOS and NYC this year.

Select Plus Member for 2011
You have 30,500 rail points

The Acela FC attendants know me by name now. But at least I'm not killing time on the runway at BOS or LGA anymore in bad weather.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Rail Points: 11,614

The new AGR site does not seem to be able to allow me to tabulate those other figures. But I can say that I enjoyed several excellent Amtrak travel redemptions this year, collectively worth thousands of dollars. ^
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
12,050 rail points for me. My goal next year is to hit 10,000 rail points, then take all of my northeast travel to the air, in order to requalify for United 1K.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:48 pm

Rail Points: 4,850
Total Points: 28658
Trips :WAS -NWK -WAS

150 short for S -2011

Had to cancel this weeks trip due to bad weather in NJ/NY...So looks like I will be narrowly missing the Select status for next year. What a luck!!

Does anyone have a suggestion on getting around this? only option I can think of is to buy a ticket and just print it out (will not be able to travel anyways this week )
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by northeast
Rail Points: 4,850
Total Points: 28658
Trips :WAS -NWK -WAS

150 short for S -2011

Had to cancel this weeks trip due to bad weather in NJ/NY...So looks like I will be narrowly missing the Select status for next year. What a luck!!

Does anyone have a suggestion on getting around this? only option I can think of is to buy a ticket and just print it out (will not be able to travel anyways this week )
All tickets earn 100 points minimum. Therefore, your best option is to look at the shortest, cheapest trips from WAS and make the time (yes, Select is worth a couple hours of your time). You could either do a WAS-NCR-WAS round-trip or a WAS-ALX-WAS round trip. If the timing doesn't work perfectly (i.e. too long of a layover), both stations are adjacent to Metro stations, so you can do WAS-NCR or WAS-ALX and then ride Metro home and then do another WAS-NCR or WAS-ALX (or NCR-WAS or ALX-WAS) trip to get the other 100 points. Both can be done for under $40 rt.

The other option would be to book a trip WAS-XXX that is at least $75. Board the train, give the ticket to the conductor, and then disembark at NCR (if going north) or ALX (if going south). Ride Metro home. As long as the conductor lifts the ticket, it doesn't matter where you get off.

Last option--which would probably be unsuccessful but could be worth a try--would be to book a ticket for at least $75 and then call AGR and claim the conductor never got around to taking your ticket. You could conceivably do this with two tickets of lesser value, but you might make AGR more suspicious (two tickets in a row that were not collected?!).
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:52 am

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
Originally Posted by jackal

Last option--which would probably be unsuccessful but could be worth a try--would be to book a ticket for at least $75 and then call AGR and claim the conductor never got around to taking your ticket. You could conceivably do this with two tickets of lesser value, but you might make AGR more suspicious (two tickets in a row that were not collected?!).
I don't think cheating the system is an appropriate discussion.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbart74
I don't think cheating the system is an appropriate discussion.
Note that I definitely DON'T advocate doing this. Besides the fact that it'd likely be unsuccessful (based on reports I've read on FT), it isn't following the spirit of the program.

However, it has been brought up before, and in the interests of presenting all of the options, I'm only repeating what is available for public reading by searching the forum.

And if it comes down to it--there are FAR worse ways you could cheat Amtrak. The OP would, in effect, be making a $75 donation to Amtrak without costing Amtrak anything (the fuel to haul his weight, the water he'd use in the restroom, the cleaning around his seat, etc.). He'd be getting a few points worth less than $10 (likely more like $3, based on the average valuation of 2 cents per point) in exchange for that $75 donation, meaning Amtrak's coming out at least $65 ahead. That's more than they would make if the OP bought WAS-ALX-WAS and actually traveled it.

So, it's not my recommended course of action, and I probably wouldn't do it, but it's not like actual theft of service.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now, back on topic for this thread:

My Status for 2011
You're 3,850 rail points away
from Select (5,000 pts required)
You have 1,150 rail points

Total points redeemed by me: 34,000
Total points redeemed by a friend who dragged me along with him: 40,000
(Above exclusive of the Chase AGR MasterCard rebates offered this year)

Total miles traveled on Amtrak: TBD

I still have lots more points to use and lots more to transfer in from my Amex (yes, I know that is ending next year).
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by jackal
All tickets earn 100 points minimum. Therefore, your best option is to look at the shortest, cheapest trips from WAS and make the time (yes, Select is worth a couple hours of your time). You could either do a WAS-NCR-WAS round-trip or a WAS-ALX-WAS round trip. If the timing doesn't work perfectly (i.e. too long of a layover), both stations are adjacent to Metro stations, so you can do WAS-NCR or WAS-ALX and then ride Metro home and then do another WAS-NCR or WAS-ALX (or NCR-WAS or ALX-WAS) trip to get the other 100 points. Both can be done for under $40 rt.
Thanks Jackal....I guess i will try the WAS-NCR-WAS option...All along I was assuming that buying and getting(printing) the ticket is good enough...thought Amtrak will consider this as if I travelled (unless I cancel the ticket later) ... As i will be using Amtrak next year....I can spend couple of hours for this short trip...glad I asked...thanks...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Rail Points: 11,542
Points Earned: 30,384
Segments: 20 (paid), 8 (reward)

Most of the above were between BOS and NYP; one was BOS<->PHL; a few BOS<->STM or BOS<->NWK.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Welcome to Flyertalk Northeast! I'm glad your first (and second) posts were in one of my threads. As you can tell, Jackal is a great source of information and a great representation of these boards. Hope to see you around lots
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:30 pm

Points earned 102877 (Mrs. Ispolkom earned another 58000)
Rail Points 2512
Points spent 140000 (60,000 as a gift to father-in-law)
Miles traveled on Amtrak 17253
Nights spent in sleeper 17

I was pleased that this year the nights I spent in a sleeping car were more than the nights I spent in motels or hotels.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:44 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Rail Points: 13,054
Points earned: 40,135 including bonuses
Total Points: 46,498
Points spent: 35,000
Segments: 38
Total miles traveled: 12,002
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:17 pm

Rail Points: 12,428
Point at end of Year: 108,382

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.