Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum charge Card Travel Insurance advice needed!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,

Hi there,

I am an Amex Plat Charge Credit card holder. This comes with a comprehensive travel insurance policy.

To cut a long story short, my wife (supplementary card holder) and I were travelling from BHX - Dubai via Amsterdam with KLM.

My wife was sick on the initial flight to Amsterdam and was sick throughout the 2 hour wait at Schiphol airport and we saw a doctor at the airport who advised not to travel the same day.

We have since had to spend hours haggling with one rather rude team leader of KLM services at the aiprot who has advised as our itcket is a discounted rate ticket booked through Expedia and as we have missed our connection we will have to purchase a new ticket.

We have had to purchase a new one way ticket each due to this to cover the gap in our intinerary and also stop over in a hotel in Amsterdam overnight. This has almost 4 times as much than the oriignal flights.

I havent made a claim on my travel insurance so need advice, but basically what will Amex Plat Charge Insurance cover? For example medical fees are minimal, but as doctor advised rest we have had to pay for a new flight each, as well as hotel accomodation, meals, phones calls etc.

On top of that our baggage has been sent through to Dubai so we have no clothes until we get there.

I was advised that this was a very good travel insurance policy, will they cover all the costs and what exactly can I claim.

I have medical evidence that advises my wife not to make the connection but to rest overnight and to take the next flight out.

All help will be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:08 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
I don't know how it works really, but as far as I think you should have called AMEX immediately and told them your situation so they could credit your card with the needed budget.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I called during the time i needed advice but only the emergency medical services were open.

a case has been logged and I will sort this out on my return as most of the out of poclet expenses have now occurred.

The guy I spoke with on the phone the next day actually scared me a little as he said i will only get the 150 per person for the travel inconvenience and thats it, even though it cost me 700 euros each to purchase a new one way ticket, i would think that is a very big mistake which often travel insurers customer service give you incorrect advice.

Even the cheapest insurance policies would refund this and other out of pocket expenses due to illness

I will sort once I get back but I wasnt too happy with KLM for cancelling all my remaining flight sectors and making me panic and buy a new flight totally even though my wife was ill.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 5:54 am

Programs: Yes please
Where are you?

Originally Posted by navatwal
Hi there,

I am an Amex Plat Charge Credit card holder.
That makes no sense. It can be a Platinum charge card or a Platinum credit card but not both. They are very different animals.

The OP does not state where the Amex card he holds was issued. He states that the flight originated in BHX which is in the UK but that is quite a different matter to where the card is issued; I have a flight next week from Vancouver (CXH not YVR) that is insured against a UK-issued Centurion card; nothing to do with Amex in Canada.

Each country's (or sometimes region's) Amex operation has its own insurance coverage issued by insurers in that country or region. Without knowing where the OP's card was issued it is impossible to answer the question in any meaningful way.

The unfortunate events described should be covered in full by the insurance that comes with a UK-domiciled Platinum charge card and the details of the insurance policy are available on the Amex web site at https://www.iplatinum.americanexpres...ryBenefits.pdf.

As to the appalling KLM customer service; well, that does not surprise me one bit.

Last edited by SouthOxon; Aug 7, 2009 at 6:24 am Reason: link added
Old Aug 7, 2009, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SouthOxon
Each country's (or sometimes region's) Amex operation has its own insurance coverage issued by insurers in that country or region. Without knowing where the OP's card was issued it is impossible to answer the question in any meaningful way.
Based on the BHX origination and the fact that included travel insurance is mentioned I'm assuming that it is a UK-domiciled card.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Based on the BHX origination and the fact that included travel insurance is mentioned I'm assuming that it is a UK-domiciled card.
It is a UK based Plat Charge Card.

Somewhere in the t and c 's i read that expenses have to be pre authorised but this was not possible s there was nobody available at Amex when I called them.

So I had to incur the additional expenses for new tickets and accomodation without approval, in any case this would have had to be done with or without pre authorisation as it was neccessary as I was stuck in Amsterdam!
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:35 am
zaf

It is a UK based Plat Charge Card.

Somewhere in the t and c 's i read that expenses have to be pre authorised but this was not possible s there was nobody available at Amex when I called them.

So I had to incur the additional expenses for new tickets and accomodation without approval, in any case this would have had to be done with or without pre authorisation as it was neccessary as I was stuck in Amsterdam!
Please keep us updated with your case as I am sure it is important to all of us to see how well Amex insurance works.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Do realize you have to have purchased the airline ticket with your PLAT to invoke the insurance...I realize this is of no help now, just sayin' for future reference.

I'm not sure you get help with having to replace airline tickets. It's more for covering your hotel should you become stranded in the airport - in the U.S. you get $250 to cover your hotel bill if you can't get out by 9 PM.

Also, U.S. based protection means you WILL get $500 to replace your personal items if your bags are more than 3 hours late and up to $2K if they're gone for good.

I've used this program a few times with zero hassle whatsoever, but I do also ordinarily buy a Travelguard policy to cover airline "gotchas," particularly on the legacies. Of course, the picture may be totally different for the non-U.S.-based protection.

Good luck, sincerely.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: Yes please
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Do realize you have to have purchased the airline ticket with your PLAT to invoke the insurance...I realize this is of no help now, just sayin' for future reference.

[snip]

Of course, the picture may be totally different for the non-U.S.-based protection.

Good luck, sincerely.
It is. For UK-denominated cards the only element of the insurance that requires the purchase to be charged to Amex is the 'Purchase Protection' element. No such restriction applies to the travel insurance components.

The actual eligibility criteria are for UK-denominated Platinum charge cards are;
The benefits summarised in Platinum Card Travel Insurance Benefits (Section 1) in this document are dependent upon an American Express Platinum Card being issued, the Platinum Card account being valid and the account balance having been paid in accordance with the Card agreement at the time of any incident giving rise to a claim and upon the use of the American Express Card in Platinum Card Retail Insurance Benefits (Section 2). American Express Services Europe Limited will give you notice if there are any material changes to the policy or if it is cancelled or expires without renewal on equivalent terms.
No mention at all about the need to have paid with an Amex card, except specifically for 'Purchase Protection' claims
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:27 pm
zaf

I am not sure about any other Platinum Cards, but IDC Platinum Card serviced in UK does not require purchasing the ticket with the card to be covered.

I think only car rental insurance requires the rental to be charged to the card.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Well im back in the UK after my holiday, the claim forms were waiting for me at home.

I have filled them all out today and sent them off with all the receipts, I will keep you posted with the results and the time it takes to get any feedback.

I was under the impression that this was an excellent travel insurance policy, lets hope it proves to be!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:28 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Well im back in the UK after my holiday, the claim forms were waiting for me at home.

I have filled them all out today and sent them off with all the receipts, I will keep you posted with the results and the time it takes to get any feedback.

I was under the impression that this was an excellent travel insurance policy, lets hope it proves to be!
Did it prove to be?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:10 pm

I have a friend who has the $900 Australian amex plat charge card

she called and they said she was covered for insurance even if she does not use the amex card to purchase the air ticket( she is also not using for any other prepaid hotels etc)

i told her she is wrong- she is not covered for any insurance on the amex card if she does not purchase on the amex card
she wanted to purchase on her brothers centurion/ she is not a supplaimentry card holder

she called them they said she was covered

i called them they said she was covered
so i challenged them and said i thought she was not

he checked and said she was not
any proven opinions here??
i would like to know for future reference
seems even amex doesnt know their own policies.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SouthOxon
For UK-denominated cards the only element of the insurance that requires the purchase to be charged to Amex is the 'Purchase Protection' element. No such restriction applies to the travel insurance components.

No mention ...(in T&C) ...at all about the need to have paid with an Amex card, except specifically for 'Purchase Protection' claims

The UK call-centre is closed, and I've been poring over my terms and conditions document to see if I need to have bought my travel via my UK-based Platinum charge-card to be able to claim flight-related benefits, and benefits in general.

The only insurance-related mention I can see which specifically requires card use is for purchase protection. So it looks as though I've got a perfectly straightforward travel policy requiring only that I maintain an active Platinum charge card account.

So far, so good: this chimes with SouthOxon's interpretation.

However, a more recent, online, version of the T&C has card purchase as an eligibility requirement for flight-related benefits AND for belongings and cash. https://secure.cmax.americanexpress....0UK%20Plat.pdf

Rather begs the question of how much, which parts, of the trip needs to funded by use of the card.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jun 4, 2012 at 9:43 am Reason: clarification!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
...I've been poring over my terms and conditions document to see if I need to have bought my travel via my UK-based Platinum charge-card to be able to claim flight-related benefits, and benefits in general.
Please see this more recent thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...uary-25th.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.