Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

50% Bonus on MR (USA) to British Airways Transfers Until May 31, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other

Amex just announced a 50% transfer bonus to Avios until May 31, 2012. This can be an amazing deal for certain redemptions (short haul, within the Americas, mid-haul, etc).

I did a write up on my blog (link below) with screenshots of some of my favorite redemptions.

I like how long this promo runs- no need to rush and transfer. Hopefully this forces Chase to step it up and start offering some bonuses!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:16 am

EXACTLY why i like MR points. 3x on flights + 50% bonuses = me very happy
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
already sitting on a million

...i already had my million point ba ballance devalued which made me very bitter towards BA, but a 50% bonus almost makes the devaluation forgivable if I transferred in another million
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
+1

Originally Posted by drsaith
EXACTLY why i like MR points. 3x on flights + 50% bonuses = me very happy
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by thepointsguy
Amex just announced a 50% transfer bonus to Avios until May 31, 2012. This can be an amazing deal for certain redemptions (short haul, within the Americas, mid-haul, etc).

I did a write up on my blog (link below) with screenshots of some of my favorite redemptions.

I like how long this promo runs- no need to rush and transfer. Hopefully this forces Chase to step it up and start offering some bonuses!
Good deal. I have almost exactly 53k MR points, almost enough for 4 BOS-DFW roundtrips. Now, the question is: should I transfer now and get the remaining 500 Avios some other way, or wait until I have 54k MR points? How hard is it to earn 500 Avios without flying or having the BA visa?

Last edited by aarif1; Mar 15, 2012 at 1:16 pm Reason: Autocorrect!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by aarif1
Good deal. I have almost exactly 53k MR points, almost enough for 4 BOS-DFW roundtrips. Now, the question is: should I transfer now and get the remaining 500 Avios some other way, or wait until I have 54k MR points? How hard is it to earn 500 Avios without flying or having the BA visa?
The promo runs until May 31 so you can stand to wait a little. If you need 500 more Avios, that's only 333 MR. That doesn't sound like a problem
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:44 pm

Is this the biggest promo they've ever run? whats the biggest bonus theyve ever given on Delta?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
Originally Posted by TheAJ
Is this the biggest promo they've ever run? whats the biggest bonus theyve ever given on Delta?
i think this is a good offer for ba points...i think the best mr transfer bonus for delta was last sept transfer 50k mr to delta and get 50k skymiles + 20k MR rebate
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:24 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I had originally been thinking of a trip to China on Delta J but this promo makes CX F a much better deal! ^
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
I'm thinking I will finally transfer to BA before I have to cancel my prg card. Woohoo to 17k Mr points lax to hnl
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: No preference
Wait on a Delta transfer bonus to top up accounts for a pair of premium awards?

or

Transfer now to BA and continue to use for short haul-high cost side trips?

Opinions?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
Wait on a Delta transfer bonus to top up accounts for a pair of premium awards?

or

Transfer now to BA and continue to use for short haul-high cost side trips?

Opinions?
If you want to go to Europe in business or coach, go Delta who has lots of partners (available at the low level and much lower fees).

If you want real first class on good carriers like Cathay or travel within the Americas I'd say go for BA 50%.

This Delta transfer bonus dry spell is the longest we've had in a while. Hope it ends soon!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: No preference
If you want to go to Europe in business or coach, go Delta who has lots of partners (available at the low level and much lower fees).

If you want real first class on good carriers like Cathay or travel within the Americas I'd say go for BA 50%.

This Delta transfer bonus dry spell is the longest we've had in a while. Hope it ends soon!
It wouldn't even be a question for me to hold out for Delta cause I want to use them for Africa with a stopover in Europe. But I redeemed Avios for the super high value LIM-CUZ-JUL-LIM for 27,000 miles ($1700 cash) and it has me brain-washed on the high value of Avios. And I would like to use them for some local jaunts for my family. Decisions!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:18 pm

Too many options!

My wife and I earned 150k MR points last year with targeted sign-up for the Amex Open Business Gold Cards. I plan to cancel the cards before 6/2012 to avoid the annual fee.

First, the question: if I open a Premier Rewards Gold with the 25,000 MR sign-up bonus, does this prevent me from losing the 150k MR points when I cancel the Amex Business Gold Card?

Second, which of the options below do you recommend in my situation given that I live in LAX area and currently has 400k BA points and 120k US Airway points and 200k Chase UR points (I also have two boys and family trip would need to include 4 tickets):

1. Transfer to BA with 50% bonus

2. Transfer to SPG, then to US Airways to diversify my points into US Airways (How useful is US Airway points to someone living in LAX?)

Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Ftusa
First, the question: if I open a Premier Rewards Gold with the 25,000 MR sign-up bonus, does this prevent me from losing the 150k MR points when I cancel the Amex Business Gold Card?
as long as you have a card open that earns MR, then you do not lose your points earned from the cards you cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.