FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Delta 20% Transfer Bonus until Sept 30, 2009 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/982201-delta-20-transfer-bonus-until-sept-30-2009-a.html)

thepointsguy Aug 5, 2009 7:54 am

Delta 20% Transfer Bonus until Sept 30, 2009

https://www.delta.com/marketing/read...0809/index.jsp

Register now and turn Membership Rewards points from American Express into 20% more miles. Transfer points into miles now through September 30, 2009, and enjoy an additional 20% mileage bonus every time.
See how far points (and our offer) can take you. With the extra 20% mileage bonus, you may be eligible for Award Travel, just in time for an upcoming vacation. Once you've registered, you can begin transferring points into miles.
You've earned your rewards—and now you can decide how you'd like to enjoy them.

jrjcopp Aug 5, 2009 9:01 am

Ugh! I'm a sucker for these things. The mention of a bonus gets me started. Then when it's time to redeem the points, I curse the options available.

sbm12 Aug 5, 2009 10:35 am

Originally Posted by jrjcopp (Post 12178624)
Ugh! I'm a sucker for these things. The mention of a bonus gets me started. Then when it's time to redeem the points, I curse the options available.

There's one born every minute. ;)

Don't be lured by the false hope of bonus points unless you know you're going to be able to redeem. The increased costs for many DL rewards these days more than makes up for the 20% bonus they are giving you.

thepointsguy Aug 5, 2009 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 12179207)
There's one born every minute. ;)

Don't be lured by the false hope of bonus points unless you know you're going to be able to redeem. The increased costs for many DL rewards these days more than makes up for the 20% bonus they are giving you.

Totally agree.. however diamonds can be found in the rough, especially using nwa.com.
Just booked 2 multicity Asia J awards, EWR-PVG on CO, PVG-NRT KE, NRT-HNL NW and HNL-JFK on DL for 120k and $60 each, which I thought was a spectacular value since they are basically giving DL miles away these days...

chewy3 Aug 6, 2009 4:12 am

It seems like 20% bonus is the standard offer at Delta these days.

S.Bling Aug 6, 2009 11:50 am

Originally Posted by chewy3 (Post 12183282)
It seems like 20% bonus is the standard offer at Delta these days.

It can be closer to 38% if you take advantage of Delta's new offer announced today: August 6-31 book any award ticket and get 15% of the points as a bonus, back to your skymiles account.

So:

You transfer 50,000 MR points and get 60,000 DL Miles. Then redeem for a US-EU trip for 60,000 and get 9,000 miles back.

In otherwords - 50k MR = 60k miles plus 9k miles for next time. = 38% more than the 50k MR you converted.

thepointsguy Aug 6, 2009 11:53 am

Originally Posted by S.Bling (Post 12185137)
It can be closer to 38% if you take advantage of Delta's new offer announced today: August 6-31 book any award ticket and get 15% of the points as a bonus, back to your skymiles account.

So:

You transfer 50,000 MR points and get 60,000 DL Miles. Then redeem for a US-EU trip for 60,000 and get 9,000 miles back.

In otherwords - 50k MR = 60k miles plus 9k miles for next time. = 38% more than the 50k MR you converted.

FYI This is a targeted offer..the rebate options are 10%,15% or 20%.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...10-rebate.html

S.Bling Aug 6, 2009 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by pitbrian (Post 12185159)
FYI This is a targeted offer..the rebate options are 10%,15% or 20%.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...10-rebate.html

Read the thread you quoted: It is being used (and has been used) successfully by anyone - just enter the website with the correct link.

Some people even used the 20% bonus link - making the MR conversion rate actually 44%, not 38%...

I used the 15% link myself (before I knew there was a 20% one) and it worked fine. Confirmed with DL themselves that I was correctly registered.

thepointsguy Aug 6, 2009 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by S.Bling (Post 12185289)
Read the thread you quoted: It is being used (and has been used) successfully by anyone - just enter the website with the correct link.

Some people even used the 20% bonus link - making the MR conversion rate actually 44%, not 38%...

I used the 15% link myself (before I knew there was a 20% one) and it worked fine. Confirmed with DL themselves that I was correctly registered.

I wouldn't take a small number of posters as a guarantee this is an open offer. In the T&Cs it says it is only for the person receiving the offer. Delta is very experienced in targeted promotions.

S.Bling Aug 6, 2009 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by pitbrian (Post 12185439)
I wouldn't take a small number of posters as a guarantee this is an open offer. In the T&Cs it says it is only for the person receiving the offer. Delta is very experienced in targeted promotions.

Whatever the case may be - you would end up getting either:
20% (if you don't add the DL rebate)
32% (with the 10% rebate)
38% (with the 15% rebate)
44% (with the 20% rebate)

So, assuming you can find a Skyteam redemption flight in August or September, it is a relatively attractive offer currently.

goetzphi Aug 6, 2009 1:46 pm

any suggestions

I signed up and transferred miles during the last 30% bonus period. Delta never credited the bonus miles. When i called them (multiple times), they insist I never signed up for the bonus. Any recommendations on how to handle this?

stinkycop Aug 6, 2009 2:43 pm

Still Waiting For the Amex Continental Transfer

Does anyone know if Amex will ever again offer this bonus for CO? They have in the past, but have not seen it for a long time.

S.Bling Aug 6, 2009 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by stinkycop (Post 12186051)
Does anyone know if Amex will ever again offer this bonus for CO? They have in the past, but have not seen it for a long time.

my hunch says wait for CO to join *A, then they will promote all kinds of things...

bobbybrown Aug 19, 2009 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by goetzphi (Post 12185768)
I signed up and transferred miles during the last 30% bonus period. Delta never credited the bonus miles. When i called them (multiple times), they insist I never signed up for the bonus. Any recommendations on how to handle this?

Any update yet? One year ago, I lost 6000 miles for the same reason. I transferred 30k with 20% bonus, but no bonus was posted and even not yet. I called super many times with no results, and I decided to forget about it. It seems we need to scan the monitor for each process when registering bonus stuff. Sadly I didn't do that.

sbm12 Aug 19, 2009 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by S.Bling (Post 12186070)
my hunch says wait for CO to join *A, then they will promote all kinds of things...

I highly doubt that they will run an AmEx transfer promo again. They've sortof implied that over the past few years in their actions and a few statements made on the topic. And the move to *A won't really necessitate them making such a move. Why would you think that it should?