Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30% Delta Transfer Bonus

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
30% Delta Transfer Bonus

Looks like 30% is back until July 31
https://www.delta.com/marketing/setyoursights/index.jsp
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:20 pm

good find, thank you
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
So, I've got ~350K MR points. I understand that there's places I can put these where I can end up in luxury TransPac/TransAsia FC travel, but a part of me is beginning to wonder if all I'll really ever do with these is free or upgraded domestic travel. (I've been sitting on ~165K UA miles for a decade, for instance.)

I guess my question is, what are the downsides of putting all/most of my MR points into DL right now? (Oh, I just made FO a week ago, but I think I'm done traveling for a while.)
Old Jun 8, 2009, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I'm FO with Delta and have a bunch of Amex too..however I always earn and burn my points.. no sense in sitting on them as they continue to get devalued!

The risk with DL is that their award structure is very expensive. You need to be pretty flexible in order to get 120k biz class Asia tickets. The downside of parking your miles at DL is that you lose the flexibility of Amex MR. For ex. if you want to hop to Europe for a weekend, you can't just put 80k in AC and book a biz award ticket.. you'd be stuck with Delta whose cheapest award to Europe is 100k and most often you can only find 200k tickets. It's very hit or miss, but DL miles are generally the most devalued in the industry. Then again, they are the easiest to earn (for ex. 30% amex bonus, 5k Skymiles for a 2 day Avis rental, etc etc).

I'd only move them to DL if you see tickets you want. They run 20%/30% promos a lot, so don't think this is a one-time only special offer.

Also- Amex MR are very valuable to trade on CC and often times you can get almost 2 DL miles for every Amex MR (100% bonus ).
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
I am not disagreeing with the above poster on the inadequacies of Delta Skymiles. But I will provide these positive comments.
  • Amex MR transferability - Easy way to add to your DL SM balance with a low tranfer cost. BTW, I just did an online transfer from AX MR to DL SM, and the transfer was instant!
  • Amex DL SM Card bonuses - The opening bonus points offers are very generous and the first year is free.
  • Non-Flyer Bonus Miles Offers - Lots of opportunities to obtain massive bonus miles at no or little cost.
  • Access to Skyteam Partners for award redemption
  • Availability of Low mileage (saver) economy award tickets - YES, I know all the problems getting low mile award tix, they are all true. BUT, for the past three years I have been regularly obtaining 60,000 mile economy tix to Southeast Asia (But do not get me started on their 60,000 mile southern South America price!). They are hard to find, but they are available, IF your schedule is somewhat flexible.

If you want all my complaints about DL SM, I can give them too!

Last edited by whynotgo; Jun 8, 2009 at 7:39 am
Old Jun 8, 2009, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Unless you have hard plans to ticket an award flight on DL, I'd leave them in MR for the reasons outlined above. A transfer from MR to DL takes seconds, so if you want to book the DL award, you can immediately. You may find the need in the future to use the points for Continental, Virgin, Hilton or another MR partner.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Please don't speculatively move them to DL. Even at 1.3, there's a statistically significant chance that it'd be a huge waste of MR.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Thanks, everyone. In my MR account they stay.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Please don't speculatively move them to DL. Even at 1.3, there's a statistically significant chance that it'd be a huge waste of MR.
Very good advice. I'm sitting on over 400,000 MR points that would good for a DL transfer. However, my opinion is that DL is operating a very corrupt program.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:03 am

The promotion terms states that the bonus will be posted within one week of the transfer. Has anyone received the bonus sooner than a week?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
This is an excellent opportunity for FTers who need a Pile On Miles partner credit. Oh well, the few of us who don't already have a chunk of SkyMiles from Amex !
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
The promotion terms states that the bonus will be posted within one week of the transfer. Has anyone received the bonus sooner than a week?
I am happy to answer my own question. The bonus posted two days after transfer.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:22 pm

How do promos like this work when transferring SPG points?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by precision80
How do promos like this work when transferring SPG points?
A bonus for transferring MR to SPG is rare. Sometimes you'll see a 2 MR to 1 Starpoint "special", but its been awhile since the last one.

Better to apply for an SPG Amex card, up to 25K in Starpoints for applying.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:35 am

I meant if i xfer SPG to Delta, but i answered my own question. Is is possible to go from SPG to MR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.