Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Koh Samui

Well normally when we travel, it is built around a particular activity like trekking, 4WD-ing, cycling etc....however for Koh Samui, Thailand, it was built around laziness!

It was a mini trip of one night in Singapore and 10 nights in Koh Samui of hedonistic indulgence where we just chilled out, enjoyed the beaches, the pools, the massages, the fantastic Thai food, the cold beers and the simple pleasure of getting lost in a good book!

Though we did go a long morning walk most days.

We went in april when the weather is very good, but there are not crowds of tourists.

To vary the stay we booked in three quite different small hotels, all directly located on beaches.

Coming in to land on Koh Samui

The SilkAir flight only had 8 business class seats, and on landing they had a dedicated transfer from the jet to the open air terminal for the business class passengers.

We started at Lipa Noi Beach. We chose this beach as it would quiet and is an excellent swimming beach. Here is my wife pictured battling the crowds for a spot on the beach. There were more locals than travellers on our 4 days here.

Having local fisherman was part of the charm, including inspecting their overnight catch in the morning.

And perfect start for our first day was a fresh prawn papaya salad on the beach...with a cold beer of course!

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Apr 26, 2017 at 12:17 am
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:11 am
Original Poster

What's not to like with a view from your beach bungalow like this including use of one's own private plunge pool.

On a morning walk

Chatting with a local on a walk....

Fireworks over dinner......and not of the marital kind!

Then off to Mae Nam Beach....and hotel with infinity edge pool.

Getting lost in a good book.

Wandering through a night market meant for locals rather than tourists. Watching the locals play bingo was entertaining.

Just working out how to best obey this sign...

The days were hot, but not for this Cool Cat!

And we had our last two nights at the colonial themed Scent Hotel with a suite overlooking the beach with its own terrace, and yes bathtub with a view...

Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Next:

June 2017: A two week sailing barboat charter in The Whitsundays, Australia. So just a domestic flight for us this time of 1239 miles/1982 kms. I have managed to pin down my three now adult daughters to have our first family holiday together for some years ona 35 foot/10.7 m catamaran.

Domestically it rarely makes sense to redeem for flights as one can buy cheap tickets on sale. I keep my points for long haul redemptions in the pointy end.

April-July 2018: We have just decided on our next major international trip will be 11 weeks travelling through the England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland. So now the fun, but tricky, part of researching an itinerary. On the one hand one's mind is full of images of places seen in movies, documentaries and in history classes but then you need to turn that into a trip. And I am sure with research new places too will also be identified to explore including some walks and cycling trips.

Points: Is all a bit up in the air at present. Krisflyer my favourite FF program has up the cost in points required for most redemptions. But have banished their fuel surcharge which was on the hefty side! Earning wise to doca upcoming charge in interchange rules most banks have been slashing the amount of points earnt. Amex Cards issued by Amex though have effectively increased due to a new card and combining that with an existing card that I already had with Amex so that most spend will earn me 2 or 3 Krisflyer Points per $. This has meant that currently most of my CC spend is now through Amex earning MR Points.

So hopefully Amex MR can remain at those earn rates. Credit Card sign on bonuses remain lucrative, but unfortunately many are tied to the Qantas FF program which still has high fuel surcharges, plus requires substantually more points that Krisflyer topped off with poor availability.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Apr 26, 2017 at 12:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.