FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty when paid via Paypal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/862621-purchase-protection-extended-warranty-when-paid-via-paypal.html)

SusanDK Sep 4, 2008 5:37 am

Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty when paid via Paypal

My husband is looking at making a purchase on eBay via Paypal. It is for a new item, factory sealed with warranty (a microphone).

If we pay via Paypal charged to our AmEx Centurion, will the normal purchase protection and extended warranty still apply? The statement will show Paypal as opposed to a retailer, but it will be an item with manufacturer's original warranty.

Susan

Gekko Sep 4, 2008 7:14 am

i've had no problems with making a claim for loss when i have paid with paypal.

SusanDK Sep 4, 2008 10:38 am

Thanks for your reply!

Susan

TAHKUCT Sep 4, 2008 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by SusanDK (Post 10310333)
My husband is looking at making a purchase on eBay via Paypal. It is for a new item, factory sealed with warranty (a microphone).

If we pay via Paypal charged to our AmEx Centurion, will the normal purchase protection and extended warranty still apply? The statement will show Paypal as opposed to a retailer, but it will be an item with manufacturer's original warranty.

Susan

All of the benefits apply as long as you pay for the item in full. I had no proble filing a claim for the item purchased with my Ame on ebay via paypal. Be assure that you are coverd.

SusanDK Sep 5, 2008 5:02 am

Thanks for the reassurance!

Susan

sammyh Sep 7, 2008 9:12 am

In fact i had a dispute thru an ebay-paypal purchase and AMEX backed me all the way!

brightaxis Aug 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Thinking of purchasing a product using my AMEX but pay via Paypal - bumping this up to see if this rule still applies? The entire amount will indeed be put on the AMEX.

hiima Aug 13, 2015 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by brightaxis (Post 25267983)
Thinking of purchasing a product using my AMEX but pay via Paypal - bumping this up to see if this rule still applies? The entire amount will indeed be put on the AMEX.

Yes afaik. On the charge it should say PayPal "merchant you bought from".

luoxiao Aug 14, 2015 11:46 am

I called Amex CSR to ask same question, but what I got from amex is it doesn't cover the purchase made though Paypal. Same question to JP morgen and JP morgen will cover it ,but must show that item is new(CSR suggested me to take screen shot to prove I am buying new item).
I am only taking about Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty, dispute is totally different in my view. You can dispute any transaction as long as you pay with your card, regardless how you make the purchase.

mia Aug 14, 2015 11:50 am

I think there may be confusion between paying with funds from a PayPal account, and paying with a credit card when the merchant happens to use PayPal as their credit card processor.

beep88 Aug 14, 2015 2:26 pm

>> I called Amex CSR to ask same question, but what I got from amex is it doesn't cover the purchase made though Paypal.

You should be calling the insurance company that provides the coverage for extended warranty/purchase protection, not AMEX CSR - some (many?) are clueless.

frudd38 Oct 20, 2021 1:27 am

Any recent DP's on this?