Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 31, 06, 9:44 am   #16
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 20,297
These offers are for two different products.

$ 29.95 = Skyguide http://www.eskyguide.com/

$199.00 = Skyguide Club http://www.skyguideclub.com/index.asp



Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgg
The offer I saw says 6 months free and then $29.95, not $199.00

"If I enjoy my six free months and want to continue receiving the valuable benefits, Iíll do nothing and my membership will be renewed for twelve more months at the then current rate (currently $29.95) billed to my American Express Card."
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 06, 8:30 am   #17
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia
These offers are for two different products.

$ 29.95 = Skyguide http://www.eskyguide.com/

$199.00 = Skyguide Club http://www.skyguideclub.com/index.asp
Actually, they're the same thing. Click through the links and they link to each other. They're also both for the Executive Privilege Club.

I have a healthy bit of skepticism for the companion ticket, but the lounge benefit sounds awesome. Will see if this works.
pl804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 06, 6:27 pm   #18
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 20,297
They are not the "same thing". The Club includes a Skyguide subscription, along with other benefits. This explains why there are offers at substantially prices for the subscription alone or bundled as part of the club membership.

Last edited by mia; Sep 2, 06 at 8:36 am..
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 06, 3:29 pm   #19
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by s25843
...Purchase a guest pass at any airport club and we will reimburse you up to $50.* !* It's a special, limited-time offer** just for SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club members like you. Utilize your airport club guest pass up to three times a month, now through January 2007! Just remember to mail us your receipt within 30 days of use...
Am I misreading this or do they only reimburse guest passes through January 2007? Do you remember where you found this clause, because I don't see the club benefit listed anywhere else as a limited-time offer? Thanks.
rrgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 06, 6:02 pm   #20
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: delta, continental, american airlines, jetblue, hyatt, marriott, hilton
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgg
The offer I saw says 6 months free and then $29.95, not $199.00

"If I enjoy my six free months and want to continue receiving the valuable benefits, Iíll do nothing and my membership will be renewed for twelve more months at the then current rate (currently $29.95) billed to my American Express Card."

the 29.95 sounds like the price of the magazine for the year. not the credit card fee.
otto8itall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 06, 12:24 pm   #21
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BOS & FLL
Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgg
Am I misreading this or do they only reimburse guest passes through January 2007? Do you remember where you found this clause, because I don't see the club benefit listed anywhere else as a limited-time offer? Thanks.

Just an update, I received my $50 check from "American Express Publishing" today. So, they DO reimburse the full amount for day passes.
__________________
DL Silver Medallion,, Starwood Gold, National Executive, Hertz 5*, NEXUS & Global Entry, 392k DL Million Miler miles at the age of 28!
s25843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 06, 4:52 pm   #22
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Fairfax,VA, USA
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by s25843
Just an update, I received my $50 check from "American Express Publishing" today. So, they DO reimburse the full amount for day passes.
So did you sign up for the $2.99 for six month offer. I am thinking of doing this for the lounge benefits. But in reading this thread and the details of the offer I got from AMEX I am still not completely sure what I am getting.

Does sound tempting since its only $2.99.
thomas3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 06, 7:59 am   #23
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Orlando, FL, USA
Posts: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by s25843
Just an update, I received my $50 check from "American Express Publishing" today. So, they DO reimburse the full amount for day passes.

I just joined and it says it will be 4-6 weeks before I receive my membership kit. Is it possible to use the $50 airline club benefit between now and when I receive the kit or do I have to wait for specific forms that are in the kit? The sign-up confirmation says I can start using benefits right away by going through the web site but I can't find anything specific to the airline club benefits in terms of forms and procedures.

I've called the 888 info number but after going through myriad "if this, then please press this" automated connections, I got a final "We're sorry. All our agents are currently busy. Please call back again during our business hours of .... Good-bye." Not a good indicator of top-notch service, to say the least.
upgrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 06, 8:08 am   #24
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BOS & FLL
Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader
I just joined and it says it will be 4-6 weeks before I receive my membership kit. Is it possible to use the $50 airline club benefit between now and when I receive the kit or do I have to wait for specific forms that are in the kit? The sign-up confirmation says I can start using benefits right away by going through the web site but I can't find anything specific to the airline club benefits in terms of forms and procedures.

I've called the 888 info number but after going through myriad "if this, then please press this" automated connections, I got a final "We're sorry. All our agents are currently busy. Please call back again during our business hours of .... Good-bye." Not a good indicator of top-notch service, to say the least.

I mailed in the recepit with a note indicating my membership number and address, and thats it. In fact, the day I got the membership kit, I cancelled, so you don't need the forms.
__________________
DL Silver Medallion,, Starwood Gold, National Executive, Hertz 5*, NEXUS & Global Entry, 392k DL Million Miler miles at the age of 28!
s25843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 06, 10:02 am   #25
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Orlando, FL, USA
Posts: 2,389
Thanks, S25843. Just what I was hoping.
upgrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 08, 8:52 am   #26
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Angry skyguide companion ticket SCAM

The one or two free companion tickets worth up to $1100 for a $59 subscription sound too good to be true? It is. This is a scam. It shows that corporate greed does not stop at the door of name brand companies such as American Express. The scam is that you must buy your regular ticket through their agency. These tickets are priced hundreds of dollars more than buying the ticket online or through your own travel agent. In the end you might save a little money on two tickets, but with the limited cities serviced (only 100)you may have to drive or pick up the tab for the connecting flight. In the end, it's just not a straight up deal, but something that sounds way better than it actually is. If you need SkyGuide when you travel, go ahead and buy it. I think you can usually find the same info on your smartphone for nothing.
steveandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 08, 6:25 pm   #27
nrr
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA
Posts: 5,553
Amex promo for "skyguide executive privilege club"

Since I have an amex plat card, i get lounge access through it. I received a mailing, from amex, for the SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club: (1) for $2.99 (processing fee) you get two months membership and if you remain after two months, there is an additional $29.95 for the full (first) year, (2) $59.95 for each additional year; what is "big" feature: you get 3 times a month lounge access (for all airlines)--you pay the $50 fee to the airline club upfront (a day pass), and send the receipt (to the Priv. Club) for reimbursement. [There is also a companion "free" ticket promo also included...]
This really isn't specific to aa, but since i fly aa, i'm posting it here.
If, the club lives up to its ad, this should be a super deal--i was about to throw it away, but decided to read the whole ad.
nrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 08, 7:39 pm   #28
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: VA, USA
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
Since I have an amex plat card, i get lounge access through it. I received a mailing, from amex, for the SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club: (1) for $2.99 (processing fee) you get two months membership and if you remain after two months, there is an additional $29.95 for the full (first) year, (2) $59.95 for each additional year; what is "big" feature: you get 3 times a month lounge access (for all airlines)--you pay the $50 fee to the airline club upfront (a day pass), and send the receipt (to the Priv. Club) for reimbursement. [There is also a companion "free" ticket promo also included...]
This really isn't specific to aa, but since i fly aa, i'm posting it here.
If, the club lives up to its ad, this should be a super deal--i was about to throw it away, but decided to read the whole ad.
Is this only available to a Platinum card holder? Because, at first blush -- you are paying $400 for the benefit of access at any participating lounge... plus now this new fee structure.

I guess the benefit is going to a club for an airline you are not travelling on that day -- which seems (to me) to be a marginal benefit for the cost. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers,

-Andrew
astanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 08, 7:50 pm   #29
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SNA/LAX, LAS
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Gold, DL/UA/CO/AS Elite
Posts: 15,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by astanley View Post
Is this only available to a Platinum card holder? Because, at first blush -- you are paying $400 for the benefit of access at any participating lounge... plus now this new fee structure.

I guess the benefit is going to a club for an airline you are not travelling on that day -- which seems (to me) to be a marginal benefit for the cost. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers,

-Andrew
The website doesn't say anything about having an AMEX card at all, as far as I have seen. The signup page lets you use other cards to pay, and there is nothing on the signup page asking for your AMEX number

http://www.skyguideclub.com/

Ah, but one pages says
"*Please use your American Express Card when paying for these guest passes."
http://www.skyguideclub.com/shopping/partner.aspx?id=48

BUT http://www.skyguideclub.com/info/faqs.aspx#10

10 . Which credit cards can I use to make purchases?

American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover are all accepted for any purchase you make as a SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club member.

(I have requested an response on this)
"We prefer you use your AMEX card but you can use any card and we will reimburse you. Thanks."

Last edited by mvoight; Jul 25, 08 at 1:03 pm.. Reason: Response received
mvoight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 08, 7:56 pm   #30
nrr
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA
Posts: 5,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by astanley View Post
Is this only available to a Platinum card holder? Because, at first blush -- you are paying $400 for the benefit of access at any participating lounge... plus now this new fee structure.

I guess the benefit is going to a club for an airline you are not travelling on that day -- which seems (to me) to be a marginal benefit for the cost. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers,

-Andrew
I only mentioned my amex plat card. I am certain this was a general mailing to me (from a different cc i have with them), not in anyway connected with my amex plat card. [My amex plat card is a business card, and the mailing for the "club" did not have the company name in the address.]
nrr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:35 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.