Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Card Declined--new 5* restaurant (SleEk) goofs Amex cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Card Declined--new 5* restaurant (SleEk) goofs Amex cards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CelticFlyer
Many merchants think that they can make their own rules these days.

I noticed recently that Office Depot branches now ask for ID on electronics transactions over a certain dollar value. I genuinely don't bother to carry ID all the time so had to explain to a branch manager that they didn't have discretion as to whether they took the card or not. He reckoned I was wrong but phoned AMEX who gave him a mouthful! However - the problem is that the ID request comes from the POS register and the staff are following what the register asks for.
I don't have a problem with a merchant asking for ID, if they do it consistently. I'm not sure why you don't carry ID, but it can be crucial if there was some type of medical emergency. Hopefully, you do carry a cell phone with an ICE number or two in it.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 7:45 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
This is happening A LOT with AX lately. If you get close to your normal monthly spending limit they just decline. I remember my days in the front line sales world when the machine would say call. For some reason these days it just says decline and YES it is uncomfortable.

This has happened to me SEVERAL times, especially of late. It is sad to say this and should not be the requirement, but, if you are going to be in a situation where this may make you uncomfortable, as with a friend or client, call first.

I have never been a day late ever and typically spend 5k plus per month, and I will get this for a $40 gas purchase. INSANITY.

I charge everything that has a warrenty because AX doubles it.

There is no rhyme or reason to their rejections either. One can purchase a $500 item in one store, walk into the next 5 minutes later and get a $25 purchase declined.

Discover is the same way. I had a zero balance and was making a $500 wine purchase and the cashier said, "declined." There was a line, I was mad, humiliated, and just wanted out so I used my debit card. In the parking lot I called Discover and they said the purchase was not typical for me, but would have authorized it had the merchant called. I pledge to swallow my humiliation next time, stand my ground, ask for a manager, and make them call for authorization next time an establishment gets a "declined" on me.

Moral of my long winded story. All CC companies are changing "their habits" in this economy. So be proactive and call before travel, make large purchases, or go to dinner with friends.

If this happens to those of us that have NEVER paid even one day late, then it is a sign of things to come.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jadedinsider
I charge everything that has a warrenty because AX doubles it.
This is certainly not unique to American Express. This is a standard feature of VISA Signature and Mastercard World level cards, including Diners Club Mastercard.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pgary
Having had a stolen card used by the thief, I now write "Request I.D." in the signature panel, along with my signature.
Of course, by not signing your card and thus using it in violation of the terms and conditions, you're waiving your rights and protections in the event that your card is ever stolen again

Originally Posted by PTravel
Speaking as a former waiter, the wait staff is at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to influencing management. As far as management is concerned, as long as the bill is paid, it doesn't care whether the wait staff is tipped or not.
This may or may not be true, but like the other member said, if the waiter is lying, even if at the direction of management, they're participating in the scam. And it's particularly bad if their lying is embarassing the customer in front of others. That's unacceptable.

Originally Posted by anaugle
I wrote letters to Amex and the airline. I got a crummy corporate apology letter from Amex ("...we're sorry that happened to you...but it's not our fault..."). The airline gave me a f/c ticket home the next day, $500 in flight credit, and 100,000 ff miles. I guess a platinum frequent flier is worth more to a bankrupt airline, than a $100K/year Amex cardmember is to American Express.
If AmEx had no record of the transaction, like you said, then it couldn't have been an AmEx problem, so why would you expect compensation from AmEx?
Old Apr 18, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
Originally Posted by pgary
I love those gasoline stations which request my zip code to use the card. This is what foiled the thief of my card, and a Walgreens. I wonder why more gasoline stations and everyone else doesn't do this. Probably costs more.
I hate these gas stations when I'm travelling in the US since they won't work with credit cards from outside the US. Instead you have to leave your credit card with the attendant while you fuel your vehicle. It was shortly after one of these incidents that I noticed unauthorized charges appearing on my card and that was the only time the card had been out of my sight.

Interestingly enough, the Metropass stations in NYC have this feature, but accept a 00000 zip code for foreign cards.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Doppy
Of course, by not signing your card and thus using it in violation of the terms and conditions, you're waiving your rights and protections in the event that your card is ever stolen again
Actually he said that he does sign it, but just adds a "Check ID" to his card.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 11:42 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Red face

Originally Posted by Great White North
I hate these gas stations when I'm travelling in the US since they won't work with credit cards from outside the US. Instead you have to leave your credit card with the attendant while you fuel your vehicle. It was shortly after one of these incidents that I noticed unauthorized charges appearing on my card and that was the only time the card had been out of my sight.

Interestingly enough, the Metropass stations in NYC have this feature, but accept a 00000 zip code for foreign cards.
I have used my AMEX Costco Platinum card in AZ when filling up my rental Camry and nary a problem there - this was last year in Buckeye, AZ to be exact.

Sanosuke!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.