Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can Plat or Cent Concierge Get Tix to the L.A. Magic Castle?

Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC

I went here many years ago when a friend of a friend acquired some passes. I remember decent food and a pleasant bar, but absolutely the most amazing up-close sleight of hand I can imagine ever seeing. Now that I'm back in L.A. I'd like to go again, but that old contact has withered up. Is it even worth checking with the AmEx concierge?
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I went here many years ago when a friend of a friend acquired some passes. I remember decent food and a pleasant bar, but absolutely the most amazing up-close sleight of hand I can imagine ever seeing. Now that I'm back in L.A. I'd like to go again, but that old contact has withered up. Is it even worth checking with the AmEx concierge?

Send one night at the Magic Castle Hotel and you've got your invite. Other wise I believe you have to join the club.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: Amex plat, Hyatt, Hertz, Concierge Association-Colorado
From their website:
The Magic Castle is a private club. You must be a member or have a guest card from a member.

Please read and follow our dress code and rules. You must have your guest card with you when you arrive at the Magic Castle!

Reservations for dinner are required, and we suggest that you call at least one week in advance. We take phone reservations Monday through Thursday from 9:00AM until 6:30PM, Friday and Saturday from 9:00AM until 10:00PM and Sunday from 9:00AM until 5:30PM.

Be sure that you have your guest card handy when you call for reservations; you will need the member's name and number. Dinner is served at the Magic Castle in an atmosphere of Victorian elegance. Dinner seatings are at 6:00PM, 8:00PM, and 9:30PM.

Robert
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: AA PLT, AE PLT
And you need to be a practicing magician to join as a regular member.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
re;Magic Castle

My son is a member he sometimes performs there and can get reservations for people. If anyone ever wants to go just let me know and I can have him call with his membership number to make reservations.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wow, thanks holocker ^
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Just found their application:

Membership Categories explained here: http://www.magiccastle.com/about/membership.cfm

http://www.magiccastle.com/about/membershipapp.cfm

Sanosuke!
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I could spend the thousand bucks to become a member but I really just want to go for one nice night out. Besides, isn't getting the best deal we can the Flyertalk way?!

Thanks, holocker, for your offer. I may just send you a PM one of these days to take you up on it. Thanks so much!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:42 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of all the shows, the close-up parlor was, to me, by far the most amazing. The closest audience members are literally only a foot or two from the magician.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:47 am
Original Poster

I totally agree, and I was blown away by the skill and talent of the close-up magicians. I consider myself a pretty attentive guy, and I can often figure out the "tricks" of TV and stage magicians. In this case, like you said just a foot or two away, it was as if the things they did were really magic--absolutely impressive!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:56 am

Programs: AA/UA
hi

I live directly across the street from the Magic Castle and yes you can not get in unless you know a magician, or pay the membership..

I haven't been and read/overheard it isn't all that.. the food is VERY $$ for what you get and same with drinks..

if you really want an experience try out Yamashiro's restaurtant next door over looking the entire Hollywood area.. or try out Roosevelt hotel for the night.. both will set you back about 1K total but it would be a very fun experince

as I said I live right across the street from Magic Castle and Yamashiros so Private Msg me if you need any guideance around Hollywood..
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

I do realize the food and drinks at the Magic Castle are overpriced, until one considers that you're paying for the experience. It's not a restaurant that happens to offer a magic show, it's an immersive magic-themed evening that happens to include dinner.

I highly recommend doing it if you never have. You may find it's not your cup of tea, and then all you've lost is one evening and maybe $100. But you may also find that it's enjoyable enough to create lasting memories, like it has for me which is why I'm craving going back.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 7:14 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Did the OP manage to get a reservation through Plat or Cent or Concierge?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 8:18 am
Original Poster

I actually didn't try! I figured I would go the FT route first then, if there's a specific night I want to go to the Magic Castle and no one here comes through then I'll try the concierge.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 1:34 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Well the best French Centurion lifestyle could apparently do was to call the magic castle and ask if it was possible to make a reservation for a non member. Obviously the answer was no! (I don't understand the reasoning of the French lifestyle service as most of the times, they only try and make a call for anything you ask. Usually the answer to their call is "no". If their service is only to make long distance calls, I certainly don't need them for that purpose)

I asked them if they could call US lifestyle or the concierge of the hotel I'll be staying at. They said they would... I'll post here what the outcome is...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.