Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
As of June 2014 Membership Rewards (USA) has implemented software which prevents linking of airline and hotel accounts for anyone who is not a cardholder on the American Express account. Please click HERE to read the new thread.

----------------------------------------

So far transfers from Membership Rewards USA to another's FFP have only been refused for:

Emirates

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21742291-post18.html

Transfer rules for American Express accounts issued in other countries are more restrictive.
Print Wikipost

Transfer MR into someone else's FF account?

Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:34 am
formerly known as daveland
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Transfer MR into someone else's FF account?

Surprised I couldn't find the answer in a a search. I'm of the impression one can do a transfer of MR points into any FF account they choose and that names of the account's needn't match. True or false?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:03 am

I was able to do that a number of years ago but tried about 6 months ago and wasn't able to. I don't think you can do it now.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:25 am
nsr

You can do it

You can do it. There is no need for name match nor address nor anything of that sort. I have done it myself to two different accounts in the last month, in most cases the transfer is instant.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:40 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I seems to be important to do this online. Do not speak to anyone at American Express or the receiving program.

Go to: http://membershiprewards.com

LOGIN

Link the recipient's airline or hotel account.
If there is going to be a problem it should be evident at this stage. Do not be concerned if it takes a few days for the link to be confirmed.

Transfer points
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
I did this recently and you can do it. You have to call though and make sure you have the recipient's MR account # to do this. The transfer is instant.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:09 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by daveland
Surprised I couldn't find the answer in a a search. I'm of the impression one can do a transfer of MR points into any FF account they choose and that names of the account's needn't match. True or false?
The Membership Rewards rules indicate that you can only transfer points to an account of someone who is the card holder or an additional cardholder. Based on anecdotal evidence as of late here on Flyertalk there seems to be limited enforcement of this rule at best.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
I just did it today. Seems like the online transferring is working without glitches now, though I've also done it on the phone several times. Never been questioned. Makes MRs worth a lot for me.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I've been doing this for quite some time, but only with a handful of FF programs.

Are there any programs where this doesn't work? That is, where you link an account but a transfer gets rejected?

And is there a list anywhere of which partners are 'live' with Amex (points transfer instantly) versus which ones still take a few days?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 1:47 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
Originally Posted by gleff
I've been doing this for quite some time, but only with a handful of FF programs.

Are there any programs where this doesn't work? That is, where you link an account but a transfer gets rejected?

And is there a list anywhere of which partners are 'live' with Amex (points transfer instantly) versus which ones still take a few days?
CO, DL and VS are immediate, even from another's MR account to my airline account. NH take about 2 days. These are my own experiences, that I have seen confirmed elsewhere.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:54 am

On a related note; is it possible ot transfer MR points from person to another? Or SPG points from one person to another?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by lessthanzero
On a related note; is it possible ot transfer MR points from person to another? Or SPG points from one person to another?
Folks with additional cards on the same account can share access to a MR account. There isn't AFAIK a transfer mechanism from one unrelated MR account to another.

SPG points can be transferred, though -- between any two accounts that display the same residential mailing address, it just takes a phone call (and knowledge of the trasferring account's password).
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWA747SNN
CO, DL and VS are immediate, even from another's MR account to my airline account. NH take about 2 days. These are my own experiences, that I have seen confirmed elsewhere.
SQ also takes ~ 2 days, from one person's MR account to another's SQ account.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:42 am

Just tried this with the wife and son's accounts.
Waiting on the linking right now...and then will try to top them off using the 25K MR points from the Amex Gold deal.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:07 pm

Thanks gleff.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:42 pm

do you need to change the address also? like spg?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.