Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bonus points to enroll in Extended Payment Option [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus points to enroll in Extended Payment Option [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
Originally Posted by mia
I would say they are trying to bundle a very profitable revolving line of credit with your charge card, in order to encourage you to use the charge card for major purchases which you might otherwise put on a MasterCard or VISA.
Agree with you, mia. But you'd think they would start offering this as a standard part of the card, rather than giving 5k/10k each time to entice someone. I find their approach a bit puzzling...
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Well this is odd. I just logged back into the account and cannot find the offer that was displayed very boldly before. Looked at the all the offers he had and did not find it there either. Anyway to get this?
bump.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:34 am

Well this is odd. I just logged back into the account and cannot find the offer that was displayed very boldly before. Looked at the all the offers he had and did not find it there either. Anyway to get this?
I've never been targeted online or by email for this offer. A couple weeks ago I called in to renew SPG Gold through the plat and without prompting the agent noticed I had the 10k extended pay promotion available to me. Took it and points posted within a week.

So, maybe try calling in?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
"Extended Payment Option" bonus

My DW just received an offer from Amex to switch her existing BRG card from its original "pay balance when statement arrives" to their "Extended Payment Option" (more like a traditional credit card, where you can run a balance and pay high interest). I'm familiar with this tweak, and have done it in the past on at least one of my own Amex cards.

The offer is for 5K MR points (no cost) to do the switch.

My questions...

1. Is the 5K bonus offer about as high as this ever goes - or is there any reason to expect that a better one might come along later?
2. The fine print does say it's "upon approval" (I'm sure she would be approved). Do they do a hard pull for this (I suspect not, but just wanted to check, since I'm not sure 5K MR is worth an unnecessary HP).

Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
My questions...
I have appended your post to the long running thread on this topic. I do not specifically recall a bonus greater than 5,000 points, but it may have happened.

Last edited by mia; Jun 26, 2014 at 2:51 pm
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
They don't do a pull. However, I will state that my charge card showed up as "other" on my credit report. After I asked for this perk, it showed up as a regular credit card.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Update: got this by calling.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by mia
I have appended your post to the long running thread on this topic. I do not specifically recall a bonus greater than 5,000 points, but it may have happened.
Thanks.

A quick scan just a handful of posts down suggests that 10K offers for the same thing are not uncommon. Hmmm….
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
I believe that I got 10k (99% sure but can't check right now). I called in about something else and was offered this promo. Took it but points never posted. I had to call several times before I got someone who "opened a case" then had to wait for the points for a while. I would hold out for the 10k since it's a one time thing.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
10,000 point bonus for converting to pay over time

About 6 weeks ago I called AMEX with a question regarding my platinum business card. At the end of the conversation the CSR offered me 10,000 points to convert my account to pay over time. I said no at first but the lure of those points was more than I could resist. I asked how long I would need to keep my account at that status. I came away with the impression that I could go back to charge card status after a billing period had passed and the points had posted. Both of those things have occurred.

If I call and cancel the pay over time feature will they take the points back?

Please help me, I feel dirty.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by m.photog
About 6 weeks ago I called AMEX with a question regarding my platinum business card. At the end of the conversation the CSR offered me 10,000 points to convert my account to pay over time. I said no at first but the lure of those points was more than I could resist. I asked how long I would need to keep my account at that status. I came away with the impression that I could go back to charge card status after a billing period had passed and the points had posted. Both of those things have occurred.

I don't understand why you need to cancel the pay over time feature??? It's free and you don't have to use it. Just pay in full each month. The only impact I can think of is that this changes how the card is used when calculating the credit score.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Originally Posted by m.photog

I don't understand why you need to cancel the pay over time feature??? It's free and you don't have to use it. Just pay in full each month. The only impact I can think of is that this changes how the card is used when calculating the credit score.
The nominal monthly due date is also pushed back a few days, ie, you get a few more days to make your payment.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:36 am

I was offered 10,000 when I activated each of my Amex cards. After several months, the bonus never posted. I called in recently to inquire, it was passed to an "investigations team." A couple days later, one 10,000 point bonus posted for my PRG–but not for the Platinum.

Does anyone know if the offer stipulated one time per member, or is it per card?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:10 am

Just got the 10,000 offer on my Business Gold card (which I will be cancelling soon). Will sign up immediately.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Robl
Just got the 10,000 offer on my Business Gold card (which I will be cancelling soon). Will sign up immediately.
Just got the 5,000 email offer on the personal Platinum.... I accepted and now reading this thread I wish I could have asked for 10,000

But all in all this is a no brainer....im not changing my payment habits...will still continue to pay in full every month...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.