Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Concierge- what have they done for you? [2007 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Concierge- what have they done for you? [2007 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Is the SMS program new?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-via-sms.html
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JAGMAP
They are very persuasive with merchants and go above and beyond. I believe a special team was selected for SMS because they're all extremely competent and even remember past conversations. It's discreet, fast and your request is resolved in minutes.

I've had the service for 1.5 years now and it hasn't been rolled out but I consider it a huge huge success.
As someone who uses SMS to connect with them all the time, I'd agree. Their SMS team is leaps and bounds above their phone team, and it adds a majorly personal touch.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: Up there, Route 36 LaPaz Diamond
Same day reservation Joel Robuchon LAS Christmas Eve '13.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
OK, so I have now tried to use the UK Plat concierge twice now. The first time was some months ago and I cannot remember quite why I called them but they couldn't help. It was a minor thing so wasn't a big deal at the time, but I recall being ever so slightly disappointed.

Anyway, today I called them for a big thing of huge importance. AC/DC are touring - I mean this for me is the same emotional equivalent as,say, for a Brazilian when the Pope announces a visit Tickets go on sale Weds AM and its gonna be massively oversubscribed, and I will be travelling that day so unable to get to the phone lines/internet in time.

So I call Amex and ask if they would be able to help. They basically said forget it on the first day of sale as they would have to call me to confirm if I was happy with whatever tickets ticket master offered before they could finalize any purchase, which is clearly impractical. All they can do is try on the 2nd day (it will be sold out within 30 mins I guess) or go through their secondary agents (expensive).

I had read somewhere that concierge services do try and get clients tickets on the day of sale for major events, but it seems that this is not the case for Amex
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:04 pm

Banoffee pie!

A simple request politely, professionally and successfully completed in entirety by the AMEX UK Concierge team.

I was at home in the UK - I called up last week and the concierge found Banoffee pie for my girlfriend in Boston, MA when she was having a really bad day. It took them a little while as banoffee pie really isn't something that is done over in Boston as far as we can tell. They could only find banoffee pie in one restaraunt which was brilliant as we had been hunting for a while with zero luck - she fell in love with banoffee when visiting me in London in November.

They also suggested similar alternatives that were available should we like to try something slightly different, and offered to book a table for us (which we declined).
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by nimeta
OK, so I have now tried to use the UK Plat concierge twice now. The first time was some months ago and I cannot remember quite why I called them but they couldn't help. It was a minor thing so wasn't a big deal at the time, but I recall being ever so slightly disappointed.

Anyway, today I called them for a big thing of huge importance. AC/DC are touring - I mean this for me is the same emotional equivalent as,say, for a Brazilian when the Pope announces a visit Tickets go on sale Weds AM and its gonna be massively oversubscribed, and I will be travelling that day so unable to get to the phone lines/internet in time.

So I call Amex and ask if they would be able to help. They basically said forget it on the first day of sale as they would have to call me to confirm if I was happy with whatever tickets ticket master offered before they could finalize any purchase, which is clearly impractical. All they can do is try on the 2nd day (it will be sold out within 30 mins I guess) or go through their secondary agents (expensive).

I had read somewhere that concierge services do try and get clients tickets on the day of sale for major events, but it seems that this is not the case for Amex
Thats strange, I once used them for something similar when I didn't have time and gave them a ceiling on the price and what was not acceptable on seats. They handled it fine and were below the ceiling.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by CarolinaCoopers
Same day reservation Joel Robuchon LAS Christmas Eve '13.
not bad !! was it for the l'atelier or the main restaurant ?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
No luck in Bangkok. Tried to get into Nahm, they just called the regular reservation line and gave up.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
not bad !! was it for the l'atelier or the main restaurant ?
My friend did this as well. It was the main restaurant.

I think that this is one of the restaurants that Amex holds tables at as part of their "platinum dining" program or whatever it's called. So, it's likely to work on any day (unless another amex plat or cent has gotten there first)

I suspect that the same would be true for most 2- and 3- Michelin star restaurants.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
No luck in Bangkok. Tried to get into Nahm, they just called the regular reservation line and gave up.
I was at Nahm two weeks ago and made the reservation through the Amex concierge two weeks prior. It was already heavily booked and I only got a table at 9.30 PM (which was perfectly fine for me). I guess that their recent nomination as Asia's best restaurant makes it a very popular choice these days.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Been through quite a few pages but could not ascertain if anyone had any experience obtaining gifts/items with concierge that are not available due to:

- differing issuing country of the Amex card and/or
- merchants that do not necessarily accept a charge card

Example:
1) I wish to use concierge to purchase a gift item located overseas in the UK for a relative that resides there (Merchant's online store only accepts UK issued cards), provide concierge the details of the item and then have the total amount billed.

2) Or use concierge to settle with a local car dealership who will not process a transaction using a charge card. Not necessarily a 2nd hand vehicle but purchase price is at in 6 figures, or to stretch the request - settling payment for a home property for that matter? (and avoiding bank drafts/checks)

Not interested in rewards/points as a result of the transaction. I just want things 'done' with the minimum fuss that does not involve another intermediary other than concierge.

Last edited by dadig; Dec 20, 2014 at 10:31 pm
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver, Amex Platinum, Gold Preferred Guest
Called today. I wanted to do some traditional stuff while staying in Abu Dhabi like desert camping and camel riding.

They couldn't find anything... pretty ad considering the fact that I could thing a ton of thing with a simple google search
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:50 pm

You will find many threads on buying a car with Amex or Credit card. You are trying to buy something that is a Titled Asset. The car dealer is open to fraud via chargeback. Both of these can be overcome via paperwork or trust. If you do not understand any of the previous important issues than I suggest you avoid trying to use an Amex card. Example: A gold watch that is $60,000K has no title and if a chargeback occurred the the seller would be have legal right to take back what was sold or mitigate the damages or loss while the matter is settled in court of with police

Originally Posted by dadig
2) Or use concierge to settle with a local car dealership who will not process a transaction using a charge card.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Thanks for the info Centurion - any comment about assisted purchases from my first query?

Last edited by dadig; Dec 24, 2014 at 3:06 am
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
A gold watch that is $60,000K has no title and if a chargeback occurred the the seller would be have legal right to take back what was sold or mitigate the damages or loss while the matter is settled in court of with police
$60 million watch! On a card nonetheless, think of the MR points!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.