Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Downgrading US AMEX Platinum personal card to keep MR points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I've had my Platinum AMEX card for almost a year and after getting the bonus MR points, just wanted to see my options of downgrading the card to a free card and being able to keep the MR points instead of transferring them.

I've searched but could not find details for downgrading to a free card with MR points. I've had experienced with the Chase cards and keeping UR reward points easily after downgrading. Is it that straight forward and easy with AMEX? Upon searching, is the Everyday Amex card a card I can downgrade to (w/ no credit inquiry) and keep my MR points?

Thanks!
Old May 10, 2017, 12:36 pm

You'll have to choose whether downgrading or free is more important to you. You can only downgrade to another charge card and alll of them have fees. You can use the Everyday to keep your MR's but you can't downgrade to it from a charge card.

A single hard pull typically has little impact. If you see significant impact from 1 HP then there are bigger issues with your credit than the HP.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by takeshi74
You'll have to choose whether downgrading or free is more important to you. You can only downgrade to another charge card and alll of them have fees. You can use the Everyday to keep your MR's but you can't downgrade to it from a charge card.

A single hard pull typically has little impact. If you see significant impact from 1 HP then there are bigger issues with your credit than the HP.
Thanks. From what I have seen, the only free option is to get the Everyday to keep my MR points (which I can still transfer just like having the platinum card correct?). So I'm going to try to apply for the Everyday CC, which I am trying to find the 25k deal, but haven't been successful yet, then close my AMEX Platinum. In closing the card, how much will that effect my Credit?

Thanks! Don't use my AMEX cards enough to have a card from them with a fee.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
While you're at it you could apply for the Everyday and PRG if you have not had it and get 50K points, annual fee waived 1st year, will only be one hard pull.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:11 pm

I just did this last week. I got the 50000 bonus link for new PRG and 1st year waived..
Old May 11, 2017, 10:19 am
JCN

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
I just did this last week. I got the 50000 bonus link for new PRG and 1st year waived..
This seems like the best option. Keep racking up the points and you can kick the can on the annual fee one more year down the road.
Old May 13, 2017, 1:37 pm

I keep my membership rewards points via the optima platinum, but the redemption options are less impressive.
Old May 13, 2017, 2:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
...optima platinum, ...
Cards which participate in Membership Rewards Express do preserve the balance, but lose the ability to transfer of airline or hotel partners -and- they may have a reduced Pay with Points value. The only current Express cards are Blue from American Express and Blue for Business, but this is a good reminder that many people still have older products including Zync, Optima and some no-fee business cards.

Unless you are up against the 4/5 credit card limit the simplest solution for most of us is to hold a free Everyday card which preserves the balance -and- the ability to transfer.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver
Do you guys think it would be worth it to open a business platinum to replace my personal where the annual fee is about to hit?

i have about 150,000 MR points in the account. I figure if I open a business account, the value of those points doubles if used to book flights. Current spend bonus is 50,000 points for $10,000, which is steep, but should be able to meet by pre-paying my rent for a few months and earning 1.5x points.
Old May 14, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by umich07
Do you guys think it would be worth it to open a business platinum to replace my personal where the annual fee is about to hit?

i have about 150,000 MR points in the account. I figure if I open a business account, the value of those points doubles if used to book flights. Current spend bonus is 50,000 points for $10,000, which is steep, but should be able to meet by pre-paying my rent for a few months and earning 1.5x points.
As of June 1, the "Pay With Points" benefit will be reduced from a 50% refund to a 35% refund, which may play into your decision. It isn't a bad move to consider though, because you would get two $200 airline credits before the next AF rolls over (2017 & 2018), in addition to the 50k signup bonus.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Gig103
As of June 1, the "Pay With Points" benefit will be reduced from a 50% refund to a 35% refund, which may play into your decision. It isn't a bad move to consider though, because you would get two $200 airline credits before the next AF rolls over (2017 & 2018), in addition to the 50k signup bonus.
Right, want to make sure I get it done before 6/1.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what is process for downgrading from plat to gold/green? can it be done online?
Old May 18, 2017, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

Just applied for the AMX PRG and got approved.

Once that comes in, just make sure it links to my MR account then close the platinum card?
Old May 18, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
If you apply for the Everyday card today it will be under the same hard credit pull.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Ended up receiving the GPR card with the 50k bonus.

Called AMX to cancel the platinum card since I was about to be charged the $450 annual fee, but was offered $300 credit to keep it. Made sense to keep it for another year. Paying $150 and I still get the perks as well $200 airline credit in Jan.

There was no point in getting the GPR but oh well, 50k points will be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.