Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

International Airline Program (IAP) 2 for 1 for Platinum/Centurion Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Airline Program (IAP) 2 for 1 for Platinum/Centurion Members

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:07 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
If you are lucky.....
Well I have booked but not yet ticketed two seats in J on AC for next year $18k MEL-SYD-YVR on their new 777's.

If I booked through AC directly would have been close to $23k, so $5,000 off is better than nothing!

Shame they dropped NZ
Old Dec 28, 2007, 7:30 pm

I'm considering getting an Amex Platinum card as a secondary cardholder on someone else's account. Will such a card be eligible for IAP tickets issued in my name (with some other person receiving the "free" ticket)?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA, skymiles, AAdvantage, continental one pass, ANA, Hilton, SPG
this is a tough one to figure out. me and my wife are going to take a trip in may to spain/italy. i really want a flat bed for the trip. call me nuts... a snob.. but i feel like the trip is as much fun as touring the country (also affects the trip when you can arrive rested). i have the money but would also like to be smart and not wasteful. i know i have to book soon. so i did.

i used spg points for the hotel in italy and got a great rate on hotel in spain. with flights... i did amex plat 2for1 in f on swiss. its 14k. i know i know... its a lot. but i did check around. with swiss directly it would be just over 20k for the two of us (i'm talking U.S. dollars here). so it saves over 6k.

i've checked with a couple consolidators. the ones who use points say (IF SPACE IS AVAILABLE) they can get it for about 10K for the two of us but no milage points since they use milage to purchase the tickets. So is the 4k difference worth it to me is the big one (and IF space is available). We get 300% points with m&m (i think only for the one paying the full fare).

another consolidator who just uses bulk had very similar prices to me paying with am ex 2for1. They did say that BA offers 2for1 with their credit card (which takes up to 6 weeks to get). They were the only other ones i considered since they have the new lie flat in business. But i've heard mixed things about it. But if i did that... maybe 5 or 6K?

So what's this all mean? i guess its your financial comfort level and what's your value system. I'm sort of tempted to try to cancel my 2for1 and talk to the ticket consolidator who uses points for the swiss f. probably worth it to save the $$$???? And then hope my personal earnings continues solidly. The 2for1 ain't a steal. Its an option. (p.s. right now don't have the milage points to just get a rewards myself)
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:10 am
emu

Programs: DL Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by bedelman
I'm considering getting an Amex Platinum card as a secondary cardholder on someone else's account. Will such a card be eligible for IAP tickets issued in my name (with some other person receiving the "free" ticket)?
Yes, you should be able to. All secondary cardholders are eligible for the same benefits.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 8:25 pm

Who are these "consolidators"? Are you able to share them? I'm planning our honeymoon to Malaysia and trying to figure out the best way to get there in biz class. Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:00 pm

i'll post tuesday. not near MY computer and don't have info with me. away.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA1K, BA GLD
Originally Posted by shadabing
another consolidator who just uses bulk had very similar prices to me paying with am ex 2for1. They did say that BA offers 2for1 with their credit card (which takes up to 6 weeks to get). They were the only other ones i considered since they have the new lie flat in business. But i've heard mixed things about it. But if i did that... maybe 5 or 6K?
BA 2-4-1 with their credit card is a bad option. They increased full fares last year to the level of absurdity. But they indeed have flat beds in business class and a discounted business class ticket from US to Europe is about $2500 if purchased well in advance (on any airline, not only BA). This is much less than what you can get with any 2-4-1 offer.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by mabff
BA 2-4-1 with their credit card is a bad option. They increased full fares last year to the level of absurdity. But they indeed have flat beds in business class and a discounted business class ticket from US to Europe is about $2500 if purchased well in advance (on any airline, not only BA). This is much less than what you can get with any 2-4-1 offer.
i get that but what about f class? the 2for1 IS cheaper with f. i agree about biz class. yeah... way more options for cheaper. not the same with f.

for whoever wanted to know who the consolidator is... here is the one who uses milage to buy tickets (theirs... not yours) and is a cheaper option IF THEY FIND SEATS:

http://www.executivetravelservice.com

luck!

Last edited by shadabing; Jan 6, 2008 at 11:07 am
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:05 pm

Amex free companion ticket for International

I tried to purchase the Amex free companion business class international ticket yestterday-- having never done it before.

The ticket quoted was higher that published rate on the airline website. I was told that to get the free ticket, I must purchase the "full fare" Business class which may be higher than the published rate. It is higher than 2x coach that I normally get.

The ticket however does not need to be lock/purchase till 30 days pior to the travel date.

I am a little confuse- Do "full fare" First class ticket ever goes up in prices?
Should I pay now to lock my price or wait 6 month to pay ??
(the seats have already been reserved)

Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I just had my travel agent check for a free companion flight to the U.K. Result: Discounted FC was $3000 x 2 tickets = $6000. The best they could offer was $8000 and the 2nd ticket free. Why even offer this as a benefit if it leaves the customer feeling cheated?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 2:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by safigan
Why even offer this as a benefit if it leaves the customer feeling cheated?
This question has been discussed many many times. The program is offered because it provides value:

A. If purchasing tickets too late to qualify for discounted fares, which typically require advance purchase.

B. If plans are subject to change. The American Express tickets will be refundable and changeable, while most dicounted business class fares are not.

C. If travelling to destination that are not heavily discounted.

D. If travelling on expense account and the firm will pay full fare (see reasons A&B), this provides an inxpensive way to bring a spouse or other companion.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, United MP Premier, Alaska Air, BA, Qantas, ANZ
Originally Posted by mia
This question has been discussed many many times. The program is offered because it provides value:

A. If purchasing tickets too late to qualify for discounted fares, which typically require advance purchase.

B. If plans are subject to change. The American Express tickets will be refundable and changeable, while most dicounted business class fares are not.

C. If travelling to destination that are not heavily discounted.

D. If travelling on expense account and the firm will pay full fare (see reasons A&B), this provides an inxpensive way to bring a spouse or other companion.
Thanks for the explanation.

Those don't incentivize enough for me, and reduce the credibility of their promos. I do have a Plat card but cannot envision ever using that "perk."
Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To answer the OP's main question, Yes, fares can go up. It may be a fuel surcharge or just an increase in the fare, but there is always a chance that the fare can change prior to departure, and paying for the ticket is the only way to ensure that you get the current fare.

And yes, the fares are generally not that great a deal for leisure travel, though there are some destinations in the Carribean and Latin America that are a very good deal on CO.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Companion Ticket Miles?

I could find the answer to this question in my search, so if has been covered - sorry.

If I purchase a Business First ticket (with the free companion tkt) with my Plat Amex, will either ticket receive the elite qual. miles? (This is on Continental - FYI)
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by camafguy
I could find the answer to this question in my search, so if has been covered - sorry.

If I purchase a Business First ticket (with the free companion tkt) with my Plat Amex, will either ticket receive the elite qual. miles? (This is on Continental - FYI)
The purchased ticket does earn miles the normal way (including elite qualifying, class of service bonus, and elite bonus) - the companion ticket does not earn any miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.