Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Isn't it illegal to post AMEX Centurion/Platinum cards on ebay for bidding??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Location: Australia Cathay Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Platinum VIP, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold, PC Platinum, AMEX Centurion

I came across a few ebayers posting their used AMEX Centurion/Platinum card on ebay for bidding. Is it illegal? I though the card itself belongs to AMEX and is not transferrable. Would it be illegal to put on ebay then?

Any comment?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not sure why anyone would bother enforcing it even if it is technically illegal..
Old Aug 9, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is it illegal? Whenever I am done with a credit card I just cut it up. Why would anybody want a credit card that you cant charge anything on anyways. Wallet jewelry is the only thing I can think of. It gives them the ability to show people they have a Centurion card but when it comes to actually buying something, it is the cash that those idiots will be using!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:06 am

Doubt it is illegal but eBaY rules require that for a card to be listed, it has to have expired ten years ago. Like all eBay listings, the rules tend to be enforced only when there is a complaint.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by cardiology
Would it be illegal to put on ebay then?
Illegal? No. Breach of contract? Yes.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Howie721
Why would anybody want a credit card that you cant charge anything
Why do people collect anything: postage stamps, coins, currency?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by mia
Why do people collect anything: postage stamps, coins, currency?
They collect things and hopefully down the road, sell them for some kind of a profit. Personally, I collect sports memorabilia but I use it as more of a display and I am not really looking for someone to buy it.

I do see where you are coming from though. I can see if the old card was one of their own with their own name on it. Why would someone want a card with someone else's name on it?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
I do see where you are coming from though. I can see if the old card was one of their own with their own name on it. Why would someone want a card with someone else's name on it?
Status booster
There are many people out there who are impressed by the sight of a black card.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by brosnan6
Status booster
There are many people out there who are impressed by the sight of a black card.
Wallet jewelry is the only thing I can think of. It gives them the ability to show people they have a Centurion card
Yeah, I figured that.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:50 am

Wallet jewelry is the only thing I can think of.
I don't understand these people. Any positive value I could possibly get from wallet jewelry would be massively outweighed by the increased probability of violent crime against my person.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:06 pm
jsq

Programs: ual, aa, co, delta, centurion
collectors of credit cards (black centurion card)

actually, i read some nice articles in the late 1980's (so it goes at least that far back) of collectors of credit cards.

this was long before the centurion even existed. they collected old gas company, old railroad cards, and of course department store charge plates. the aforementioned items dated from the 1920's and earlier and diners club and amex started in the 1950's.

it was a way to own a bit of americana which was quite uncommon, though not rare, before the credit card society became normal in the 1980's.

the collectors were involved before any of todays high tech issues became obvious.

the other post comparing it to stamp or baseball card collecting is most similiar in nature.

ever since reading the article, and i saw some other articles on the subject over the years, i kept my eyes open at flea markets etc out of curiosity, and the old department store cards and a few others are sometime out on the tables, usually quite affordable, only a few dollars for an old card.

i do not collect, but it is just like any other hobby, i guess.

to each his own.

from what i recall, besides the centurion card of today due to its very low issuance, the other really collectible card is the first 1950's amex card, which was made of cardboard, i think.

regards,
jeff
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Why would someone want a card with someone else's name on it?
To complete the set.

http://www.creditcollectibles.com/pu...ategories.html
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Mia, you never cease to amaze me, haha. Ever since I joined FT I feel like your posts pop up everywhere. Full of knowledge. I strive to gain the knowledge you possess about flying and credit cards. I will achieve it one day!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:45 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Some people really need to get a life...

http://www.creditcollectibles.com/public/valuation.html

Valuation

Credit card values depend upon eight major factors:

Condition: Many collectors prefer mint unused and unsigned cards, which were frequently originally acquired by a collector when issued for collection purposes. Any card that has been heavily used is usually severely degraded in value unless it is quite rare.

Rarity: Some types of cards are quite common and have little value, such as green Amercian Express cards or some of the ordinary Citibank cards. Because they were issued in such high numbers for so many years without change, many have been preserved. On the other hand, many of the thousands of types of affinity cards were issued in small numbers and may be extremely unusual, which increases their value.

Brand: Certain brands tend to carry premium prices, such as older purple American Express cards or relatively obscure gas & oil brands. For example, an initial AmEx paper card from 1959 recently sold for $1200, one of the highest prices ever recorded. Black AmEx cards also trade for a high premium.

Attractiveness: Many collectors prefer cards with interesting designs or pictures. Affinity or theme cards with a full color picture usually carry a premium over one with just a corporate design, a logo, or a reduced image.

Celebrity: Cards featuring celebrities may demand a premium, such as the Elvis Presley, Rolling Stones or KISS cards. Cards that actually belonged to a celebrity, with documentation, may carry very high premiums such as the recent sale of 8 department store cards that belonged to actress Katherine Hepburn.

Landmark: The relatively few cards that established industry landmarks are worth more. An example is the very first Visa card issued.

Extras: In a few cases, other items are available along with a card, such as original mailing envelope, card carrier, and so forth. This always increases the value of the card.

It is impossible to give a valuation range for specific types of cards. The best advice for those wishing to value a card is to review the ACCCS album entitled "Selected Sales Transactions." It contains over a thousand recent examples of sales with image, date, and price of transaction. Most are from ebay auctions. Since there is no dealer of credit cards and no fixed price list anywhere, all trades of collectible cards have negotiable prices, either via auction or through one-on-one transactions.

The club has several quite knowledgable collectors who may be able to advise other members about the value of particular cards. Since most collectors specialize in some sub-set, members seeking advice should contact the club president to get a recommendation.

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
Comments are property of their posters, all the rest Copyright © 2003-2007 American Credit Card Collectors Society.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:17 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
I have first-hand knowledge of a collector that sold an expired (and canceled) Amex Cent card to a collector for just north of $600. I remember him saying that the collector wanted everything that came with it, like the envelope it came in, etc.

I thought it was a little kooky, but they guy sent picture some of his "prized" cards out of his collection, like an Amex card from one of the first years they were issues, an early diners card (?), etc. All of them included the original postmarked envelope that it was mailed it, which was kind of neat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.