Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread discusses American Express PREMIUM Car Rental Protection. This is an extra cost service that is offered only to cardholders residing in the USA. This is not the same as the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) that is a standard benefit of many American Express cards.

Premium Car Rental Protection website: https://feeservices.americanexpress....erage/home.do A chart comparing Premium to the standard CDW benefit is at the bottom of that page.

Premium Car Rental Protection offers Primary coverage. Primary means only that the insurer pays first when there is a covered claim. It does not imply that the coverage is superior. The standard CDW provided with USA issued American Express cards provides Secondary coverage if the cardholder has other collectible automobile insurance. If you do not have an automobile insurance policy, or if your policy does not cover rental cars in the area where you are traveling, the standard CDW Waiver becomes Primary.

Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) Premium Car Rental Protection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:17 pm

Have a look at http://www.insurance4carhire.com - they mostly do excess policies but they do have an annual CDW/SLI policy for use in the USA.

I think the reason Amex EU does not have the policy option is that almost all EU rentals have the CDW etc built into the rate.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:50 am

Thanks nutternet, but that policy only applies to EU rentals. And I was looking for coverage in the US.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by sdspieg
Thanks nutternet, but that policy only applies to EU rentals. And I was looking for coverage in the US.
Are you living in Europe but wanting to rent a car in the U.S.? If so, try to do a rental booking from your local Avis website. I would almost bet that you will be quoted a competitive rate that is inclusive of LDW & ALI.

I live in Denmark and book our U.S. car rentals via Avis.dk, and almost without fail, the rate for the rental including all insurance, taxes, fees, etc. is about the same or less than if I try to do a booking on Avis.com with no insurance.

I'm not sure if Hertz or others do the same.

Susan
Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nutternet
...but they do have an annual CDW/SLI policy for use in the USA.
...I was looking for coverage in the US.
Did you look at this page?

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/usa...=100&pageID=41
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:07 am

Mia,

Thanks. I did not. And it does look interesting. Do you (or anybody else) happen to know whether this claim on their site is trustworthy?

"Q.: If I purchase this Policy, am I fully covered for car rental insurance in the USA and Canada?
A: Yes, this Policy covers you for all your car rental insurance requirements in the USA and Canada. You do not need to purchase any additional car rental insurance."

I was told when I rented the car that I HAD to take out liability insurance in California, and that the only way to do so was through the car rental agency (Thrifty). I still have to extend my current rental agreement, so if this CDW/SLI policy works, I might still get that.

Thanks for your advice!

-Stephan

Originally Posted by mia
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:41 pm

I was told when I rented the car that I HAD to take out liability insurance in California, and that the only way to do so was through the car rental agency (Thrifty).
Hi Stephan,

As far as I am aware, in California (and other states) there's a legal minimum that the car rental company has to cover for liability. This is without you paying extra, and is included in the main rental rate. Any SLI (Supplemental Liability) is optional and you should be able to decline it. Once declined, your other insurance policy applies.

Are you based in the US? Sometimes when you have a different country of residence, the rate structure is different and some coverages are included by default when you book. This should be clear on your rental agreement.

I have rented many cars in CA and have never paid any rental company for their insurance. They do try to pressure sometimes, just stand your ground!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by nutternet

I was told when I rented the car that I HAD to take out liability insurance in California, and that the only way to do so was through the car rental agency (Thrifty).
Hi Stephan,

As far as I am aware, in California (and other states) there's a legal minimum that the car rental company has to cover for liability. This is without you paying extra, and is included in the main rental rate. Any SLI (Supplemental Liability) is optional and you should be able to decline it. Once declined, your other insurance policy applies.

Are you based in the US? Sometimes when you have a different country of residence, the rate structure is different and some coverages are included by default when you book. This should be clear on your rental agreement.

I have rented many cars in CA and have never paid any rental company for their insurance. They do try to pressure sometimes, just stand your ground!
CA is different than other states. CA does not require car rental companies to provide any liability insurance to renters, and CA law requires renters to have liability insurance. Renting with certain organization discount codes (like AARP) will provide some liability coverage (25/50/10) at affiliated rental companies.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:03 am

Thanks. And hmmmm... It so hard to figure all of this out. I would have thought that my liability insurance at home (The Netherlands) would cover overall liability issues. And that that insurance4carhire would cover any 'holes' that might still exist. But to be honest - I'm still not sure now whether that would cover me in case there were some liability issue.

Seems to me this suggests a hole in the market - a big international comparative insurance 'benchmarking' site. Just a long list of what type of coverage is included where, where the holes are AND how one can fill them. Maybe an idea for somebody on this forum . And given the enormous complexity of the issue AND the arbitrage potential I bet you'd find insurance brokers who would advertise on the site - sufficiently to actually make some money off of this.

But that won't help me this time...

-Stephan
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:51 am
mia

... thought that my liability insurance at home (The Netherlands) would cover overall liability issues....
I would discuss this with the agent who sold and services the policy, if that's how it's done in The Netherlands. The agent's explanation will not matter to the rental car company, but it will give you a better understanding of what you have purchased and how you may need to supplement it.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
CA is different than other states. CA does not require car rental companies to provide any liability insurance to renters, and CA law requires renters to have liability insurance.
Ah.. I knew there was a difference!

Stephan - I am also based in the Netherlands. The insurance4carhire will cover all CDW and SLI that you need to rent in the US. In their policy wording it states:

In the event that the law of a US state deems this policy to provide primary liability coverage, we will indemnify the insured person in the terms of this Policy for that primary liability coverage up to a maximum of $1,000,000.
Does that reassure you?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 3:23 am

AMEX Premium Car Rental Protection for current US residents only?

I used to live in the US for 10 years till 2010 on a H1B visa . While i was there, I picked up an AmEx Platinum card. I moved to my home country in early 2010 .

I am visiting the US this April and will be renting a car there for a week . I thought of using the AMEX Premium Car Rental Protection for $24.95 for this .

Someone told me that I need to be a current resident of the US to avail this? Is that true? I have kept my card and still use it for online purchases, so it is still active.

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:58 am
mia

Welcome to Flyertalk.

Start here:

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...verage/home.do

Scroll down

Click: View Summary of Terms and Conditions

Read: Enrollment is available to Consumer and Small Business Cardmembers residing in the 50 United States of America or the District of Columbia. This product may not be available in certain states.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Worth noting that Amex cards from other countries have their own car rental protection programs that apply, even if you are renting a car in the USA.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Angry No Premium Car Rental Protection for GA residents?

I got a notice in the mail yesterday stating that AmEx can no longer issue Premium Car Rental Protection for Geogia residents, and that they were cancelling my enrollment in the program. Anyone else get a similar notice? The rep on the phone stated the change was due to recent state legislation.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:29 pm

Call your Senator I Guess?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.