Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Fidelity AmEx Platinum (& Gold)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2007, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Exp, SPG Plat 100
I applied for the Fidelity American Express Platinum card today. Waiting on a response. I tried to check it on the AMEX site but it doesn't show up yet. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:33 pm

Keep us in the loop. I'm considering tossing some $$,$$$ at fidility for a money market fund. The discounted Amex might just tip me in their direction.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 8:45 pm

My application now shows on the American Express application status page as In Process. I haven't had an Inquiry from American Express yet.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:09 pm

I am considering using Ameriprise where there is no annual fee for the Platinum Card and also no annual fee for one for your spouse...

http://www.ameriprise.com/amp/indivi...um-service.asp

Why is the discounted Fidelity better than the free Ameriprise ?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Ritz Carlton Plat, Hyatt Diamond, DL Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by oldshoe
I am considering using Ameriprise where there is no annual fee for the Platinum Card and also no annual fee for one for your spouse...

http://www.ameriprise.com/amp/indivi...um-service.asp

Why is the discounted Fidelity better than the free Ameriprise ?
Ameriprise Platinum requires a minimum balance of $500K. $375 is a pretty minimal savings with accounts that large--amounts to 0.075% of the balance each year.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 7:43 am

My Fidelity American Express Platinum application was approved as of this morning. Pretty quick turn around.

I think the Fidelity card is a better deal than Ameriprise because Ameriprise charges alot of fees for things that Fidelity does not. With Fidelity you need a $5,000 minimum balance to apply for the card and that is the only requirement. I believe Ameriprise requires you to have $500,000 with them and on top of the fees it would probably cost more. Fidelity has no minimum balance fees or low balance fees and is very competitive if you have over $50,000 with them.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by emoney1978
Ameriprise Platinum requires a minimum balance of $500K. $375 is a pretty minimal savings with accounts that large--amounts to 0.075% of the balance each year.
Clarification- There is a minimum of $500K to have a Platinum Advantage Program, which intitles you to a free Platinium Card. But you can have a Personal Advantage Program Account ($500 minimum) and get a free Gold Card or a Platinum Card with a discount of $75 from the annual fee.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by SteveT
Clarification- There is a minimum of $500K to have a Platinum Advantage Program, which intitles you to a free Platinium Card. But you can have a Personal Advantage Program Account ($500 minimum) and get a free Gold Card or a Platinum Card with a discount of $75 from the annual fee.
What kind of yearly fees are charged on that account on top of the fee for the American Express Platinum card?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:36 pm
ES

Given the new excise tax on converting reward points into miles, I am trying to figure out whether I should redeem all miles or figure a way to economize on the many fees charged by AMEX. Does anyone know whether I can apply/receive a Fidelity Gold Card (at no fee), transfer my Membership Rewards points into the new Fidelity AMEX account, then cancel my existing Green AMEX card?
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:48 am

I think there is a $45 charge to add Membership Rewards to the Fidelity Amex Gold and Platinum cards. I'm not sure if you would be able to move your points over though I don't see that being a problem.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by ES
Does anyone know whether I can apply/receive a Fidelity Gold Card (at no fee), transfer my Membership Rewards points into the new Fidelity AMEX account, then cancel my existing Green AMEX card ?
Since the free Fidelity Gold doesnt include Membership Rewards, once you cancel the Green AMEX you would have to pay a $40 "linkage" fee to add Membership Rewards capability to the free Fidelity Gold.

Last edited by Alcibiades; Apr 5, 2007 at 8:00 pm
Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
There is no MR charge for the Fidelity Platinum card. There is a charge on the Gold card.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by SteveT
I briefly tried to follow up on this, but it seems that $500 with Ameriprise will NOT net you a free Gold Card. Do you have any evidence to the contrary.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by newyork4me
I briefly tried to follow up on this, but it seems that $500 with Ameriprise will NOT net you a free Gold Card. Do you have any evidence to the contrary.

Actually you do. But with 500$ you wil have to pay quarterly fee of 20$ i.e. 80 pa, hence it will end up being the same!
Old Apr 7, 2007, 4:17 pm

So I fianlly opened the fidelity account and applied to the amex plat card by going through the apply for a visa check card and then amex deffered debit yesterday. I got a message saying that fidelity will forward the application to amex. I did not have to fill a thing (?). I checked the amex check status page today and nothing does any one have recent experience with the whole procedure? I will update if and when I get the plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.