Can a US citizen apply for a UK credit card?

Subscribe
Hello,

Can a US citizen apply for a UK credit card without actually living in the UK? Reason is to purchase a rtw fare leaving the UK, having problems with US credit card because AA and BA don't accept US cc's over phone?

Thanks for any advice.
Quote: Hello,

Can a US citizen apply for a UK credit card without actually living in the UK? Reason is to purchase a rtw fare leaving the UK, having problems with US credit card because AA and BA don't accept US cc's over phone?

Thanks for any advice.
I would say yes, as long as you have a bank account in the UK, I actually have German Credit Cards, but with a Canadian adress, but I am German and live in Canada currently, but still have a German bank account, but no German adress anymore.... but they will need to get Credit history about you
Quote: I would say yes, as long as you have a bank account in the UK, I actually have German Credit Cards, but with a Canadian adress, but I am German and live in Canada currently, but still have a German bank account, but no German adress anymore.... but they will need to get Credit history about you
how about a bank account (I have double citizenship US/EU, but my residency is in the USA)?
Quote: I would say yes, as long as you have a bank account in the UK, I actually have German Credit Cards, but with a Canadian adress, but I am German and live in Canada currently, but still have a German bank account, but no German adress anymore.... but they will need to get Credit history about you

What are the rules about opening a bank account in UK? Would you have to be there in person or could it be done in the US branch?

Thanks!
Quote: What are the rules about opening a bank account in UK? Would you have to be there in person or could it be done in the US branch?

Thanks!
If there is a US Bank, who has business in the UK, maybe, but normally you have to be present, but if you have enough money to invest, could be easier
UK money laundering restrictions are now exeptionally strict. To open a bank account, you need to supply copies of utility bills showing your name and address.

Why not ring BA in the US and pay with a US credit card? They can issue the same ticket. Alternatively (and if you posted on the BA board we would have told you this) ring BA in the UK and have them put together your routing and price it. Don't pay for it, but get reservations to put it on hold and give you a reference. You then ring BA in the US, give them the reference, they will pull up your routing and you can pay BA with your US card. It should not reprice.
Quote: Hello,

Thanks for any advice.
Nor do they accept UK cards over the phone anymore.
Quote: how about a bank account (I have double citizenship US/EU, but my residency is in the USA)?
Isle of Man Barclay's has an international division and you can get a Current Account (checking) and Savings and Credit Card through them. It will take you a year or two of history on the current account a letter from your personal banker (VP of branch), utility bill, passport and three references to open the current and savings, then do your time and you can get a credit card.
Quote: What are the rules about opening a bank account in UK? Would you have to be there in person or could it be done in the US branch?

Thanks!
In person with certified documents with the exception of Isle of Man which will do it by post/phone.
Quote: If there is a US Bank, who has business in the UK, maybe, but normally you have to be present, but if you have enough money to invest, could be easier
Yes both Barclays and HSBC are in the US but they are not connected with the operations any where else internationally. You would have to be present and put significant deposits regularly in your account to acquire a card.
Quote: UK money laundering restrictions are now exeptionally strict. To open a bank account, you need to supply copies of utility bills showing your name and address.

Why not ring BA in the US and pay with a US credit card? They can issue the same ticket. Alternatively (and if you posted on the BA board we would have told you this) ring BA in the UK and have them put together your routing and price it. Don't pay for it, but get reservations to put it on hold and give you a reference. You then ring BA in the US, give them the reference, they will pull up your routing and you can pay BA with your US card. It should not reprice.
Much better suggestion, or just use a TA @:-)
Quote: having problems with US credit card because AA and BA don't accept US cc's over phone?

huh

AA had no problem charging my CC over the phone for lots of $ in the last few months.
Fairbain in a good option too. They give multi-currency accounts and a visa card, all UK compatable. Easy to open an account with them and their customer service is excellent
Quote: Fairbain in a good option too. They give multi-currency accounts and a visa card, all UK compatable. Easy to open an account with them and their customer service is excellent
You'll have difficulty finding that bank without the correct spelling, but it looks to be a good idea. Try this link:
http://www.fairbairnpb.com/default.aspx
Quote:
Has anyone reserved a OneWorld rtw before with BA before in the US? AA was no help and told me that i would have to pay the US price (over $1000 USD higher than UK fare) if i wanted to pay in US.

So you think if the reservation was made in UK then it would be a different story? I'll give it a shot.

Thanks