Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Nov 13, 06, 8:55 am   #1

Holiday Retail - Double MR Points (Nov 1, 2006 - Dec 31, 2006)

Another FT member (singlemalt) just posted this in another thread. Again, as a courtesy to everyone, I'm starting a new thread with a nice clear title.

There is a second "double points" promotion running from November 1, 2006 through December 31, 2006. I called AMEX MR customer service and confirmed that you can indeed be enrolled in this promotion even if you already enrolled in the prior "points" and "earnpoints" promotions (which run from October 1, 2006 through December 31, 2006). The agent said that this one applied to Green, Gold, and Platinum cards. Also, i inquired as to the meaning of "retail", and she said pretty much everything except cash advances would fall until that category.

https://www109.americanexpress.com/d...=holidayretail

Enjoy!
cyrdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 06, 9:29 am   #2
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
To give credit where due this offer was first mentioned by monster on November 7...

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....1&postcount=24
mia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 06, 12:35 am   #3

I'm not having any luck with any of these double promos, tried quite a few links in the various threads and no luck on personal MR gold or Biz Platinum.
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 06, 12:41 am   #4

Programs: UA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrdog
I called AMEX MR customer service and confirmed that you can indeed be enrolled in this promotion even if you already enrolled in the prior "points" and "earnpoints" promotions (which run from October 1, 2006 through December 31, 2006).
Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but what would be the point of enrolling in both? The other 10/1-12/31 promo covers every purchase, and maxes at 100,000 pts, while this promo seems more "narrow" and is limited to 50,000 points. Am I missing something?
andol469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 06, 1:56 am   #5

Programs: American, Southwest, United, USAirways (Silver), Hilton (Silver), IHG Rewards (Platinum), Starwood,
Quote:
Originally Posted by andol469
Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but what would be the point of enrolling in both? The other 10/1-12/31 promo covers every purchase, and maxes at 100,000 pts, while this promo seems more "narrow" and is limited to 50,000 points. Am I missing something?
The reason people are saying to sign up for both if you qualify is that the promotions are mutually exclusive. Thus you will get the bonus points for the one promotion on all purchases and the bonus points on the select categories additionally. Thus for some purchases you will be getting 3 membership rewards points (1mr point for using the card plus up to 2 bonus points depending on if the transaction qualifies for both promos or only the one that has no restrictions).
Joe1690 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 06, 3:17 am   #6
mia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I'm not having any luck with any of these double promos, tried quite a few links in the various threads and no luck on personal MR gold or Biz Platinum.
I would not expect to be able to register a business card in a promotion for personal cards, but have you tried this one...

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620214
Old Nov 14, 06, 9:37 am   #7

So only people with Gold can sign up for both?
lmz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 06, 9:49 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one of the promos is for plat for a change.

anyone know anything about what is eligible? the way it was worded sounded like it was limited to certain things at the various places it said :|
Kagehitokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 06, 10:25 am   #9
mia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmz00
So only people with Gold can sign up for both?
Green or Gold. Platinum has typically not been included in these offers, hence the excitement that the "retail" promotion does apply to Platinum accounts.
Old Nov 14, 06, 11:16 am   #10

Programs: UA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1690
The reason people are saying to sign up for both if you qualify is that the promotions are mutually exclusive. Thus you will get the bonus points for the one promotion on all purchases and the bonus points on the select categories additionally. Thus for some purchases you will be getting 3 membership rewards points (1mr point for using the card plus up to 2 bonus points depending on if the transaction qualifies for both promos or only the one that has no restrictions).
Wow! Didn't know you could get both. Enrolled my Gold Rewards Plus.
andol469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 06, 3:41 pm   #11

Excellent, just enrolled in this one as well as enrolling in the other one last week.

(although this one does say it's only open to "solicited Cardmembers only", and I certainly haven't rec'd anything)
Nickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 06, 3:49 pm   #12
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
I hope that they do not cancel you out of the previous triple points promotion when you enroll in this one. It has happened before.
drbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 06, 3:58 pm   #13

It took my Centurion card too. It's been a long, long time since I could sign up a promo on it...
EliteMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 06, 4:48 pm   #14

Restaurants, Hotels, and Airline tixs will not, in my opinion, qualify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrdog
The agent said that this one applied to Green, Gold, and Platinum cards.

True, this is the ONLY one that ever took my Plat card.

Also, i inquired as to the meaning of "retail", and she said pretty much everything except cash advances would fall until that category.

Uh, I don't doubt what you were told but I think that the agent is clerly wrong.
The intent of this promo is to encourage HOLIDAY GIFT BUYING with the AX card.

They want people using charge instead of credit.

cause Beckles has a special relationship. They want people over extended at the holidays.

Restaurants, Hotels, and Airline tixs will not, in my opinion, qualify. ( But what do I know

those catogories are clearly lodging, transportation and Dining/retail.

Thanks for sharing this and that to the OP who you graciously credited.

However go figure. my spending will be light, it was not the last 6 months.

When I had $7000 monthly bills, I could not get a promo to save my life

Murphys Law.

https://www109.americanexpress.com/d...=holidayretail

Enjoy!
writetorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 06, 11:21 pm   #15

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH, Marriott
How soon after the doubling period do the points actually post in your MR account? This is the first one I qualified for and I'm already planning on spending the points.
nemloc is offline   Reply With Quote