FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   AMEX denies admin fee, tax, and loss of use on rental coverage. help requested (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/454942-amex-denies-admin-fee-tax-loss-use-rental-coverage-help-requested.html)

slow Jul 21, 2005 12:38 pm

AMEX denies admin fee, tax, and loss of use on rental coverage. help requested

I just made a claim with the starwood card.
AMEX did not pay sales tax (unless required by law; I am in CA), administration fee, or loss of use. All of these exclusions are in their contract.

Looking through a few VISA and MC contracts, most of them do not have these exclusions except occasionally for tax.

I expected AMEX to best VISA.

Is the renter legally responsible for items like administration fee? In my case 150. The company also fixed preexisting damage on hubcap . The total unpaid amount is around 500.

amartin1979 Jul 21, 2005 1:47 pm

anyone have success getting the $150 admin fee paid for?

Fly2005 Jul 22, 2005 4:43 pm

There have been a few threads on this in the past couple weeks--do a search for "insurance" in this forum. I think (but can't promise) a few people suggested talking to AmEx as they often deal with this situation and might be able to exert some pressure on the rental company to reduce or eliminate fees.

QuietLion Jul 24, 2005 2:22 pm

When they did that in my case, Avis was happy with what AmEx paid them and considered the case closed.

QL

RichardInSF Jul 24, 2005 7:44 pm

When Amex used to pay for loss of use, and it was requested, they asked for proof that the company was at least 80% booked to establish that they WOULD have otherwise rented the car. You might try doing the same to contest that charge, at least.

amartin1979 Jul 24, 2005 8:11 pm

I also got a letter from AMEX telling me my $150 admin fee was declined. They said they needed documentation from Enterprise to pay it. I never received a bill from Enterprise asking for the $150, so I havent followed up on it. If Enterprise does not see fit to bill me for the Admin fee, is the case closed?

piyush Jul 25, 2005 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by QuietLion
When they did that in my case, Avis was happy with what AmEx paid them and considered the case closed.

QL

Amex settled with Enterprise and I didn't have to pay anything, but I'm not sure Enterprise was happy with what they were paid. They will now never rent to me again!

alanh Jul 26, 2005 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by piyush
Amex settled with Enterprise and I didn't have to pay anything, but I'm not sure Enterprise was happy with what they were paid. They will now never rent to me again!

So you had the best possible outcome. :D Seriously, Enterprise and Alamo are on my "never use" list due to problems I've had renting from them. I don't care how much cheaper they are, it's not worth it.

owie69 Jul 27, 2005 9:23 am

Originally Posted by piyush

Consider that a good thing. Enterprise is horrible.