Baggage Insurance...on award tix?

Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Baggage Insurance...on award tix?

Is there any way Amex baggage insurance covers award tix if there is a charge for the ticket, even if that charge is only for tax, handling, fuel, or int'l fees - would that count as "paid for"? They charge the insurance premium automatically on that amount (as an assumed airline ticket)...
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:30 am

Programs: BA, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt,
I have recently spoken to Amex re this question and the answer is no insurance. Please see other thread in this forum for more than you probably want to know: Caution: Car Rental Coverage. If anyone wants baggage insurance on an award ticket and knows where it could be obtained at a reasonable cost, I think we would all like to know.

Last edited by VA747; Jul 11, 2005 at 10:32 am Reason: wording
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Since most of the "payment" you are making is with award miles, AMEX will undoubtedly not insure your baggage, calling it a split payment.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:43 am
Suspended

For 10 bucks per ticket you can get premium baggage insurance which includes award tickets as long as taxes are paid with amex card.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by sithlord
For 10 bucks per ticket you can get premium baggage insurance which includes award tickets as long as taxes are paid with amex card.
On most award tickets the passenger doesn't pay anything, including taxes. I have redeemed several tickets through United and Northwest, and never paid any taxes etc...
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sithlord
Interesting...so this would be like the premium car rental insurance I guess...thx for the info
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:07 am

Part Miles / Part Cash

As part of BMI Frequent Flyer scheme, you can pay part miles and part cash. I booked our trip to Costa Rica wit this scheme as follows using my AMEX card.

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/src/html/d...pendmiles.html

2 1st Class out
Biz class tickets back
for 87.500miles and 608

Does this mean that im not covered by the UK Centurion policy?
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:42 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
yes

you are not covered.

dp
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:53 am

Programs: WN A+CP, UAL, Marriott LTPPE
Question I have been told Yes

Originally Posted by tdo-ca
Is there any way Amex baggage insurance covers award tix if there is a charge for the ticket, even if that charge is only for tax, handling, fuel, or int'l fees - would that count as "paid for"? They charge the insurance premium automatically on that amount (as an assumed airline ticket)...
I have asked AMEX CSR the same question. I was told that if only the tax portion of a ticket shows up as a charge you must call AMEX Insurance and they will issue the insurance on a case by case basis. You will be charged the agreed onpon premium rate.I will double check this with them later today and post iwhat I am told.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by glbremner
As part of BMI Frequent Flyer scheme, you can pay part miles and part cash. I booked our trip to Costa Rica wit this scheme as follows using my AMEX card.

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/src/html/d...pendmiles.html

2 1st Class out
Biz class tickets back
for 87.500miles and 608

Does this mean that im not covered by the UK Centurion policy?
The UK Centurion policy has two halves. The first is 'bonus' cover when you pay with the card, the second is the cover when you dont.

With a UK Centurion card I travelled on an Air Canada flight last year, but the flight was paid for by someone else on their Mastercard.

My wifes bag went missing, and we still claimed under the delayed bagage clause no problem (the bag turned up 5 days later).

Just got back on a flight where the bag was destroyed. The airline did not take Amex so we had to pay be Mastercard, and again we had no problems getting a refund for the damaged bag. The limits are lower than the 'bonus' cover, but the cover is still there and seems to be the same sort of limits you would get from any other 'off the shelf' travel insurance policy.

What you dont get is the enhanced insurance, and it is UK Centurion only - if you have a US Centurion card I understand the rules for travel and car hire are different, they have a different policy.

Last edited by byoni; Jul 12, 2005 at 11:39 am
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75
Originally Posted by Kyle53719
On most award tickets the passenger doesn't pay anything, including taxes. I have redeemed several tickets through United and Northwest, and never paid any taxes etc...
You are the most seriously mistaken my friend....
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:34 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Please do not reply to threads which have been inactive for more than two years. This thread dates to 2005, and much has changed in the intervening decade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.