Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Expensive Item charged to your Amex Card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Most Expensive Item charged to your Amex Card

I have been told that it is possible to charge a car to an american express card. I have been told that the dealership will only charge a certain amount and not the entire car. Im wondering what is the most expensive item you ever charged to your American Express Card. Will Amex approve a $2.6M house purchase? Since the item needs to be paid off in 30 days im guess the hype about lear jets being purchased on the card is far fetched. How high was your item!
Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:35 am

If you are signed up for online access you can determine the highest amount AMEX will routinely approve. On my card it seems to top off at about $40,000-$50,000 depending on what is already open on the account. Not to say they wouldn't approve something higher with a call, but those amounts would go through routinely. I think the most I have charged on one charge was about $25,000 for some business equipment. Car dealers routinely refuse to put more than $500-$1,000 on the card in my experience.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:40 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
I met people who did a Radisson Seven Seas world cruise, we were only on the ship for 9 nights, and they charged it all to their Amex card. Probably close to 300K for the big suites for a couple!

But this is nothing, I guess you should call and ask. A Quantas flyer I read about charged a AUD 2M building to his Diners Club card!

[This message has been edited by flamboyant 1 (edited Jan 11, 2004).]
Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:56 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/001097.html
Old Jan 11, 2004, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Not on mine but one of my Dads work colleagues needed a car while in Georgia so bought a $50,000 Mercedes on his AmEx. one call to AmEx to authorise and it was done
Old Jan 11, 2004, 3:19 pm
Suspended

About $6500 on 2 last minute tickets by SWISS air from LAX to BOM and back.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 7:23 pm

If a car dealer allows you to charge your entire purchase onto a credit card, you can rest assured they'll be taking that into account when negotiating the price of the vehicle. Assuming the dealer is losing 3% to AmEx on every transaction, that's $1,500 out the door on a $50,000 car.

With my most recent lease in February 2003, the dealer allowed a maximum of $2,000 on the card. This was their standard chargeable limit on vehicle purchases; I'm assuming they would have allowed more for repair work.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:00 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
$30K for Series EE Savings Bonds (though it had to be done in six $5K transactions).
Old Jan 12, 2004, 2:06 am
Uli

... the room bill at the burj-al-arab for a 10 days stay
Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:18 am

Programs: AmEx Plat, VS AG, SPG Gold, Priority Club/IHG Plat Ambassador, HHon Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Uli:
... the room bill at the burj-al-arab for a 10 days stay </font>
ROFL, but I bet you enjoyed it at the time?

------------------
Bazz
Still Flying
Old Jan 12, 2004, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
When I bought my wife her engagement ring I wanted to put it on Amex but knew I should probably call ahead. This was quite a princely sum.

I called PCS and was on hold for about 10 minutes after which I spoke to someone who clearly didn't do too well in maths at school. I got so fed up I called Diners Club (the old BA Executive Club DC) who approved within about 15 seconds.

I walked out of Tiffany's with some heart palpitations but one hell of a lot of miles!
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:17 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Uli wrote a great trip report if I recall correctly!
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
When I bought my wife her engagement ring I wanted to put it on Amex but knew I should probably call ahead. This was quite a princely sum.

I called PCS and was on hold for about 10 minutes after which I spoke to someone who clearly didn't do too well in maths at school. I got so fed up I called Diners Club (the old BA Executive Club DC) who approved within about 15 seconds.

I walked out of Tiffany's with some heart palpitations but one hell of a lot of miles!
</font>
Not even love would stand in the way of you and your airmiles
Old Jan 12, 2004, 1:22 pm

I am helping my friend with his upcoming wedding. The deal is that I get to charge it on my Amex. The charge should be around $62K. I just need to find a way for Amex to approve it.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 6:16 pm

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
I have bought my last 3 cars for around $20,000.00 to $25,000.00 on my amex. If the dealer refused to take it, I walked. Fortunately I live in an area that has at least 8 chevy delers with in an hour drive and the same amount of Nissan and Honda dealers. You can always find a car dealer that will work with you when they need to move inventory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.