AMEX Canada launches Platinum Holt Renfrew card

Subscribe
http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...1,18788,00.asp

Same benefits as regular platinum card + Holt Renfrew benefits for CAD$399 per year.

I am still wondering when/ if the centurion card will come to Canada.
This one comes as a bit of a surprise in that it trumps the traditional Platinum Card in total benfits for the same fee. I thought there might be some exclusions somewhere (maybe MR) but after looking at it MR Holt Renfrew level has access to everything (including Aeroplan transfer) of the other, in addition to the Holt-specific awards. And the fees are the same, right down to the foreign currency conversion. The AeroplanPlus Plat card can't even say that.

I don't have much use for the Holt stuff, but the missus might. And this card would appear, unless I am missing something, to be the "best" card out there.

Weird...
Quote: This one comes as a bit of a surprise in that it trumps the traditional Platinum Card in total benfits for the same fee. I thought there might be some exclusions somewhere (maybe MR) but after looking at it MR Holt Renfrew level has access to everything (including Aeroplan transfer) of the other, in addition to the Holt-specific awards. And the fees are the same, right down to the foreign currency conversion. The AeroplanPlus Plat card can't even say that.

I don't have much use for the Holt stuff, but the missus might. And this card would appear, unless I am missing something, to be the "best" card out there.

Weird...
It looks like the only difference between the two is that the regular Plat card comes with the fee free Aeroplan Plus Plat card??
That is not a published benefit though. And as I understand it, it also isn't equally granted. Some people are getting it (AP+ Plat) "free for life", others fee-free only in year 1. Or so I've heard anyway.
Interesting about the duration? I have the free AE Plat and was never told anything about 1-year ... do you have any other details?
PB, like I suspect yours is, mine was given "free for life". But a little while back when the card was launched and we all started getting it comped (and talking about it in the AC forum), I was in private correspondence with a FTer who was relaying to me how he was given the card free for only the first year and would be required to cough up the $399 starting in year 2 if he wanted to keep the AP+ Plat. We were comparing the processes by which we "applied" and received the card, as well as our own histories with AMEX (which seemed markedly similar), to see if there was any way to get his similarly "free for life". Sadly, I never did hear back on the resolution.

After this came about, I phoned AMEX to verify that what I had been told was actually true (free for as long as I keep my original Platinum Card account open, in good standing, and pay the annual fee). Funny thing was the CSR I talked to was also a Platinum Card holder who'd been offered the card free for only the first year and was shocked to find out that I was telling them that mine was free for life. After putting me on hold to confirm, they came back and told me that mine was as I'd understood it, and proceeded to ask me how I'd done that!

From that point onward, I became pretty convinced that this "unpublished benefit" wasn't equally applied.

Sorry to Flyaway for dragging this thread OT.
No problem pdj...
Quote:
I am still wondering when/ if the centurion card will come to Canada.
I doubt it will.
I am having trouble convincing AMEX Platinum line about the unpublished benefit of getting the AeroplanPlus Platinum for free.

What did you guys say to the agents to obtain the benefit?

Happy Holidays.
Quote: I am having trouble convincing AMEX Platinum line about the unpublished benefit of getting the AeroplanPlus Platinum for free.

Happy Holidays.
I just asked. Amex called back to confirm that it was allowed. The agent I spoke with actually suggested that I only use it for the Aeroplan benefits. She went on about points etc.
Quote: I am having trouble convincing AMEX Platinum line about the unpublished benefit of getting the AeroplanPlus Platinum for free.

Happy Holidays.
One recommendation I'd make to you (and most of us who've been through this will likely concur) is to ask immediately for the Aeroplan rep/department when you call the Platinum Card CS number. It was through the Aeroplan staff that you will get the straight scoop on your eligibility for the AP+ Plat card.
Neiman Marcus???
I'm sort of mad that they don't have this for neiman marcus in the United States. NM is on par with Holt and NM only accepts AMEX. It only makes sense that a Plat card exist at this level with added benefits.

I suppose the only draw back would be the words "HOLT RENTFREW," "NEIMAN MARCUS," or "THE PENINSULA" on the card. i guess that does mar the face of the centurion....
If you have a Centurion, then having NM on it is distracting.

A lot of people in Canada with Platinum cards are switching over to the Holt card because you pay the same price for more benefits.
Free For Life?????
PDJ,

is it the charge card? i cannot believe it would be free for life?

-ktp

Quote: PB, like I suspect yours is, mine was given "free for life". But a little while back when the card was launched and we all started getting it comped (and talking about it in the AC forum), I was in private correspondence with a FTer who was relaying to me how he was given the card free for only the first year and would be required to cough up the $399 starting in year 2 if he wanted to keep the AP+ Plat. We were comparing the processes by which we "applied" and received the card, as well as our own histories with AMEX (which seemed markedly similar), to see if there was any way to get his similarly "free for life". Sadly, I never did hear back on the resolution.

After this came about, I phoned AMEX to verify that what I had been told was actually true (free for as long as I keep my original Platinum Card account open, in good standing, and pay the annual fee). Funny thing was the CSR I talked to was also a Platinum Card holder who'd been offered the card free for only the first year and was shocked to find out that I was telling them that mine was free for life. After putting me on hold to confirm, they came back and told me that mine was as I'd understood it, and proceeded to ask me how I'd done that!

From that point onward, I became pretty convinced that this "unpublished benefit" wasn't equally applied.

Sorry to Flyaway for dragging this thread OT.
Quote: PDJ,

is it the charge card? i cannot believe it would be free for life?

-ktp
Yup.

I have (and pay for) the original Platinum Card for myself as well as a companion copy for the better half. In addition to these, I have the new AP+ Platinum charge cards (for each of us) for which I never pay a fee so long as I keep the other accounts open and in good standing. That was the arrangement when I was offered them. The annual fees for the AP+ Platinum cards are ordinarily the same as those for the original Platinum Card ($399/$175).

Like most others in my boat, I don't use the AP+ cards for much other than airport functions (check-in, lounge). I did throw a charge or two on mine in the summer for the Aeroplan partners promo, but that was basically it.

It's been almost a year exactly since the launch of the AP+ cards, and if they were intending to slide a fee in there, it would be right about now. But while I'll be watching to ensure that there isn't one, I also don't expect to see one either. The arrangement was clear, and many of us have the same deal and have reported it on FT that further gives me confidence that everything was on the up-and-up.

Edited: I just noted your locations. Remember that the AP+ cards and the offer we are referring to here are both with AMEX Canada.