Reload this Page >

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by garykung
DEN is a UA hub with limited international routes. It is not a surprise that UCs are what DEN has.
Amex Plats, of course, also have DL SC access at DEN when flying that airline.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Gig103
I hope Chase has mass defections and downgrades from folks who showed up for the 100k UR points and double-dip on the $300 travel credit (both of which are gone now). Defections might help things settle down. But the long lasting effect, whether or not Chase succeeds, is the change to the guest policy.
Nobody forced Chase to give out a 100,000 point bonus and two $300 bonuses for their cardholders. Chase is the only one to implement a rule as extensive as 5/24, but didn't use common sense when bringing out the Reserve, not anyone's problem but theirs.

Originally Posted by WWads
Hopefully they lose Marriott to Amex. Not sure where WN or BA would go in the unlikely event. Maybe Barclays?
Chances are AMEX loses its partnership with Starwood, which is why they were so hungry to steal the remainder of the Hilton portfolio from Citi.

If Marriott is moving to AMEX, Chase is also losing Ritz-Carlton because Marriott owns that brand too. I see Chase going above and beyond to keep Ritz.

I would say they have a better chance of losing IHG to Barclays since their point system is worthless anyways. Chase likes quality partners.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Jul 31, 2017 at 4:47 pm
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:38 pm

There are several reasons why there is practically no lounge in OAK.

1. City of Oakland is unwilling to invest on the airport, while both SFO and SJC have been making significant investments at the same time. Even BART's OAK extension was not funded by the city.

2. The largest airlines @ OAK is WN. FWIW - those who travel with WN do not need perks like lounge access.

3. OAK's international exposure is the worst among all 3 airports.
The Port of Oakland runs the airport, not the city. And have you been through Terminal One in the past year+? It's been a giant construction site. Phase one of the new international arrivals expansion just opened http://www.oaklandairport.com/oaklan...onal-arrivals/

Of course it'd always be nice to have more investment, but things cost money and take time. After the precipitous drop in traffic after the 2008 crash, the Port should rightfully be conservative about expansion.

And I haven't run the numbers but I would think by the time Paris and Rome flights start up next year OAK may be doing more international traffic than SJC.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
I am double G with Star Alliance but I have PP from Visa Privilege (top of the line card in Canada, not sure if you have it in States). I use it rarely in emergency where Star Alliance lounge is not there or when local dragons make it unavailable. Recently PP saved my day in Paris when some dragon refused me an entry to SAS lounge upon arrival and insisted I go to Air Canada departure lounge 90 minutes away! My sugar was low and all I asked for was a glass of juice. I have been offered a glass of water or paramedics! Based on Princess Diana experience I opted out of paramedics! lol! In my book PP is for emergency only but not a premium/reliable travel tool! Luckily in my recent case it worked!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Chances are AMEX loses its partnership with Starwood, which is why they were so hungry to steal the remainder of the Hilton portfolio from Citi.

If Marriott is moving to AMEX, Chase is also losing Ritz-Carlton because Marriott owns that brand too. I see Chase going above and beyond to keep Ritz.
Given the Marriott/Starwood merger, I would expect both programs to go to the same partner. I don't remember when exactly the Rewards and SPG will be merging into one, but I don't think it's that far off now.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Nobody forced Chase to give out a 100,000 point bonus and two $300 bonuses for their cardholders. Chase is the only one to implement a rule as extensive as 5/24, but didn't use common sense when bringing out the Reserve, not anyone's problem but theirs.
Chase was relying on people running up large balances and making wads of money on the interest charges.

However, with the hefty $450 annual fee, that weeds out a lot of people who aren't financially responsible enough to pay off cards in full.

The person who is able to throw down $450 upfront and bank the rebates later via the travel credits is not the same person who will then struggle to pay off their cards. The person who is able to thrown down $450 upfront is also probably savvy enough to know to put travel and dining charges on this card and use some other card for grocery stores, gas stations, and other categories...
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
The Port of Oakland runs the airport, not the city.
The Port of Oakland is an independent department of City of Oakland, run by its Board of Port Commissioners.

And have you been through Terminal One in the past year+?
No. T2 only. And I hated it.

It's been a giant construction site. Phase one of the new international arrivals expansion just opened http://www.oaklandairport.com/oaklan...onal-arrivals/
Bravo to OAK wasting tons of money for nothing.

Seriously - when WN has the overwhelming market share @ OAK (~73%), does focusing on the 27% make any sense?

And I haven't run the numbers but I would think by the time Paris and Rome flights start up next year OAK may be doing more international traffic than SJC.
You will be surprised by SJC's international traffic.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I hate Chase, so I was being sincere when I said I was hoping that CSR backfires for them.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Chase was relying on people running up large balances and making wads of money on the interest charges.

However, with the hefty $450 annual fee, that weeds out a lot of people who aren't financially responsible enough to pay off cards in full.

The person who is able to throw down $450 upfront and bank the rebates later via the travel credits is not the same person who will then struggle to pay off their cards. The person who is able to thrown down $450 upfront is also probably savvy enough to know to put travel and dining charges on this card and use some other card for grocery stores, gas stations, and other categories...
Chase should have known better.

Most of the applicants for their card are churners and those who travel. A non-traveling cardholder with some common sense would never apply for a $450 a year card in the first place.

So with that, we agree. I can't feel bad for a multi-billion dollar company who's given their shareholders plenty to brag about over the last 7 years. Chase has grown into a great bank, and hopefully they don't derail some of their products because they're usually the best in the industry, at least if you have some money in your account. Their basic checking and savings accounts are pretty mediocre, but they give $300 coupons to get people to sign up, which is also an industry best.

Originally Posted by WearyBizTrvlr
Given the Marriott/Starwood merger, I would expect both programs to go to the same partner. I don't remember when exactly the Rewards and SPG will be merging into one, but I don't think it's that far off now.
It's a Marriott/Starwood/Ritz-Carlton merger. I would expect Starwood to move over to the bank who already holds cards with two of those programs (Chase).

Originally Posted by Gig103
I hate Chase, so I was being sincere when I said I was hoping that CSR backfires for them.
I used to hate Chase too. They wouldn't lower credit card interest rates for me, wouldn't open a checking account for me (the second time I tried), and closed my first checking account automatically due to non-funding.

However - one trip to a local branch (something I never did before) solved it all. They were able to open a checking and savings account for me (with a $300 bonus), and then they decided since my credit improved, they'd give me my largest card limits at the time.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Aug 1, 2017 at 6:19 am
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:30 am

The Port of Oakland is an independent department of City of Oakland, run by its Board of Port Commissioners.
Yes, independent, as in not run by the city. Look for airport items on city council agendas and you won't find them. Mayor nominates Commissioners and city council approves them but after that they run the Port independently, which includes investment decisions on airport improvements.

No. T2 only. And I hated it.
T2 is too small for its traffic during peak periods but otherwise is a pretty standard, functional, modern terminal.

Bravo to OAK wasting tons of money for nothing.

Seriously - when WN has the overwhelming market share @ OAK (~73%), does focusing on the 27% make any sense?
I don't agree that doubling international arrivals capacity, in addition to the other needed T1 improvements, is "nothing."

You will be surprised by SJC's international traffic.
Well what is it? Is it higher than OAK's traffic now? What about next year after Rome and Paris are started?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
What does this have to do with the PP benefit rapidly deteriorating?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Yes, independent, as in not run by the city. Look for airport items on city council agendas and you won't find them. Mayor nominates Commissioners and city council approves them but after that they run the Port independently, which includes investment decisions on airport improvements.
No, it is a part of the City. Simply they have independent authority under the City Charter does not mean they are fully independent. At the minimum, the City Council has the right to remove a sitting board commissioners.

Also - the Port still needs the help from the City in matters related to the Port but outside the Port.

I don't agree that doubling international arrivals capacity, in addition to the other needed T1 improvements, is "nothing.
Increasing international arrivals capacity is not a bad idea per se. However, given SFO's position, any related investment will be risky, especially given the low international traffic OAK has (less than 10% of total traffic). On the other hands, T2 has a bigger need and the traffic justifies the investment.

Doesn't it sound wiser to invest on T2 first and then others?

Well what is it? Is it higher than OAK's traffic now? What about next year after Rome and Paris are started?
Almost double (73% more) for 2016.

Rome and Paris will do minimal as SJC has new international routes as well.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:43 pm

No, it is a part of the City. Simply they have independent authority under the City Charter does not mean they are fully independent. At the minimum, the City Council has the right to remove a sitting board commissioners.

Also - the Port still needs the help from the City in matters related to the Port but outside the Port.

Increasing international arrivals capacity is not a bad idea per se. However, given SFO's position, any related investment will be risky, especially given the low international traffic OAK has (less than 10% of total traffic). On the other hands, T2 has a bigger need and the traffic justifies the investment.

Doesn't it sound wiser to invest on T2 first and then others?

Almost double (73% more) for 2016.

Rome and Paris will do minimal as SJC has new international routes as well.

As Eastbay1k mentions above, we're getting quite a bit off-topic so I'll let this discussion end.

Edit: OAK international traffic up 106% YOY for June, so doubtful that 73% greater number for 2016 will hold for 2017. http://www.oaklandairport.com/oaklan...traffic-gains/

Last edited by ucdtim17; Aug 2, 2017 at 11:24 am
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS
Alaska lounges now allowing guesting with Priorty Pass card holders. 1 guest per card holder or card holder and family members.
New changes as of August 7, 2017 per Priorty Pass website.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Subject to availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.