Why isn't AmEx promoting restaurant spend ?

Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Discover IT offers 5% cash back (up to $1500 in spending) on restaurants for 3mo, and 5% at Amazon for 3mo every year. The other two quarters are usually fuel and home goods. I get that those points aren't convertible to air miles as FT'ers often prefer, but they're good bonuses.

I can't answer why Amex isn't giving incentives on restaurants, if they even did 2 MR/$ I'd be more likely to spend on it (compared to 3% cash from Costco's Citi)
Completely agree. Discover IT and Chase Freedom each have the 5% category for restaurants. In some years, they don't overlap in the earning period, so you basically get 5% back for half a year.

This with rotating gas categories is the major reason to hold both the IT and Freedom card.

The added benefits with both cards is the outsized redemption benefits. Chase Freedom is part of UR points systems, so it's a no brainer to hold as an "anchor card" to keep your points when you cancel your Sapphire and Ink cards.

The Discover IT redemptions have outsized gift card redemptions, usually $45 for $50 type redemptions. When you make big Home Depot or Williams Sonoma purchases these bonus redemptions adds up.

If earning 5% for half a year isn't good enough, another free card that'll give good dining bonus is the Citi Double Cash card to get 2% off all categories

Originally Posted by 4aks
that's a big rebate, but not gonna convince me carrying a Discover is worthwhile
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
If 5% cash back is "a big rebate", why isn't carrying a Discover card worthwhile?
customer service is important to me ... granted last time I had Discover was late 90s ... but I don't trust them to resolve problems without causing me big headaches ... one of the main reasons I still pay AMEX $550 , regardless of dilution of benefits each year ... AMEX will fix problems no hassle ...
I think you need a new perspective on customer service with Discover. They've improved it a lot. Direct dial zero to talk to live person based in the USA. I have never had ANY issues dealing with customer service for both my Discover IT card and my Discover online savings account.

I too have been paid out on a POS LG tv with Discover's purchase protection, IIRC, my coverage was good for up to 1 year.

Last edited by mdosu; Jul 24, 2017 at 3:28 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Technically five:
  • American Express® Gold Card for Ameriprise Financial
  • Gold Card from American Express
  • Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express
  • The Mercedes Benz Credit Card from American Express
  • Morgan Stanley Credit Card

...plus Blue Business Plus which earns 2X everywhere.
If you add Blue Business, then might as well add the EveryDay and EveryDay Preferred Cards too. If you're eating out 7 times a week, you'll easily earn the 1.20-1.50 MR based on the # of dining transactions alone
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:21 pm

While at it, what's with the restriction of only US restaurants, supermarkets, etc.?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:33 pm

Yes! I jumped on the CSR bandwagon, and now all my restaurant/cafe purchases go on the Chase to get the 3x points. As do my hotel/transportation spend (other than airfare). I would love if Amex did something with dining.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by suziemay
Yes! I jumped on the CSR bandwagon, and now all my restaurant/cafe purchases go on the Chase to get the 3x points. As do my hotel/transportation spend (other than airfare). I would love if Amex did something with dining.
As mentioned above, USA AMEX PRG, Gold, MB and MS versions do offer a dining bonus, just may not be on the 3x level. The PRG has it as a 2x for example.

Last edited by mdosu; Jul 24, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by mdosu
As mentioned above, USA AMEX PRG, Gold, MB and MS versions do offer a dining bonus, just may not be on the 3x level. The PRG has it as a 2x for example.
I wish Amex Canada would offer something
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
Doesn't the Hilton Honors Surpass card also offer 2x for US restaurants?
No, the Hilton Honors Amex Surpass card gives 6x (yes, 6) for restaurants. 12x at Hiltons, 6x at gas stations, restaurants and supermarkets (huge - covers almost every which way you can eat!), and 3x everything else.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
No, the Hilton Honors Amex Surpass card gives 6x (yes, 6) for restaurants. 12x at Hiltons, 6x at gas stations, restaurants and supermarkets (huge - covers almost every which way you can eat!), and 3x everything else.
Divide by two (since Hilton points are generally valued at .05 cents apiece) and it becomes 3X dining, gas, and supermarkets.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Divide by two (since Hilton points are generally valued at .05 cents apiece) and it becomes 3X dining, gas, and supermarkets.
Sure, but that's as good or better than any other card mentioned here, and it's for things I use the most. And it answers the title question of "why isn't Amex promoting restaurants spend?"
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by txpenny
Citi Advantage Platinum Select has a small promo running right now for restaurants, grocery, gas and drugs (2X bonus plus 1X spend). 2500 bonus points max.
Thanks. Where do I sign up for this? Looking at my account online, I don't see any links to do this.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
My AMEX Plat has encouraged me to spend $20 a month at restaurants I wouldn't otherwise patronize. There are pesky delivery fees however...
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Thanks. Where do I sign up for this? Looking at my account online, I don't see any links to do this.
Citi offers are generally delivered by postal or email.

EXAMPLE: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...ed-2500-a.html
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
customer service is important to me ... granted last time I had Discover was late 90s ... but I don't trust them to resolve problems without causing me big headaches ... one of the main reasons I still pay AMEX $550 , regardless of dilution of benefits each year ... AMEX will fix problems no hassle ...
I've had a Discover since the mid 90s though it sat unused until a couple of years ago. Since then, I've been using it mostly on the bonus categories. So far, in that period I only had to call them once and the issue (a duplicate charge) was resolved promptly and without fuss.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
I wish Amex Canada would offer something

well move to the land of the orange president then!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
These seem to be targeted

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.