Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No AmEx Hilton Points on my card due to GCs???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:58 am
Original Poster

No AmEx Hilton Points on my card due to GCs???

Hey, I am having a little bit of an issue that I was hoping you guys could help me brainstorm. My Hilton Honors AmEx has not given me the 80K bonus and after contacting them I was told that GCs do not qualify towards the bonus. That would have been nice to know earlier, since I have contacted them 4 times about this already and they said they were investigating why I haven't been awarded the bonus....now they are saying that it's because I bought GCs.....

First off, I have never had that happen. I always buy GCs on giftcards.com via TCB and i have always received the welcome bonus with no issues. So is this a new rule? Or just something that has always been in place with these credit card companies, and I have just been able to slip by?

Secondly, now I have to meet the $2000 requirement in 6 days.... I am not sure how to go about doing that. Could I make a large purchase and cancel it? would that work and would the points stick after the cancellation?
Or maybe you have other ideas of what I can do here? Id hate to waste a hard hit on my credit and the 80K point opportunity. So I am open to any ideas.

Thanks!!!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Irka
Hey, I am having a little bit of an issue that I was hoping you guys could help me brainstorm. My Hilton Honors AmEx has not given me the 80K bonus and after contacting them I was told that GCs do not qualify towards the bonus. That would have been nice to know earlier, since I have contacted them 4 times about this already and they said they were investigating why I haven't been awarded the bonus....now they are saying that it's because I bought GCs.....

First off, I have never had that happen. I always buy GCs on giftcards.com via TCB and i have always received the welcome bonus with no issues. So is this a new rule? Or just something that has always been in place with these credit card companies, and I have just been able to slip by?

Secondly, now I have to meet the $2000 requirement in 6 days.... I am not sure how to go about doing that. Could I make a large purchase and cancel it? would that work and would the points stick after the cancellation?
Or maybe you have other ideas of what I can do here? Id hate to waste a hard hit on my credit and the 80K point opportunity. So I am open to any ideas.

Thanks!!!
Make an estimated tax payment.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!!!
Yes, if you had read the T&Cs carefully, you wuld have seen that Amex has for a long time been saying that "cash-equilavent" stuff like gift cards don't count. Their enforcement of it is inconsistent, but if you want to be safe you should never do it "obviously". So that's why you have to "hide" the fact that you're buying gift cards, if you're going buy gift cards. Buying them at giftcards.com is way too obvious. (As is buying them at the Amex site.)

Buy gift cards at grocery stores or office supply stores, etc, not online. (Store gift cards, including Amazon, will have no activation fee; Visa/etc gift cards are likely to have $6ish activation fee.) And if doing $500ish purchases of gift card(s), get some random grocery item (at grocery stores) or random computer/printer supplies item (at office supply stores) on the same checkout so it doesn't like as much to Amex like a round gift card purchase plus activation fee.

Ie, think of every way that Amex might guess (without itemized receipts) that it might be a gift card, and try to make it not look like that.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 7, 2017 at 11:58 am
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Taxes was a great idea? But unfortunately my city doesn't take AmEx

Are there any grocery stores that sell $500 Visa GCs? I guess I can do 4 of those, if the activation is still $6?

Last edited by mia; Jul 7, 2017 at 12:34 pm Reason: Combine conseutive replies
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Taxes was a great idea? But unfortunately my city doesn't take AmEx
I believe the suggestion is to make a Federal Estimated Income Tax payment, as discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...edit-card.html

Last edited by mia; Jul 7, 2017 at 12:51 pm
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: AOPA
Refundable airfare.... cancel it after you get the points.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... stores that sell $500 Visa GCs? ...
Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l-500-gcs.html
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Simon mall gift cards, should not be a problem.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I wouldn't go this route unless you're able to then make valid purchases within the next billing period so you have an argument for keeping the bonus points. If this was the last couple of hundred dollars instead of the bulk/full purchase for to reach the minimum spending it'd probably be ok but not a large chunk.

An estimated tax payment.
Large gift card purchase for services you'll use.
Ask any friends if they have a big purchase coming up you can make for them.

Originally Posted by teddy25
Refundable airfare.... cancel it after you get the points.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great ideas!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:18 am

Will amex not award points on the purchase of its own giftcards? That's never been my experience but it has been awhile.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Yes, if you had read the T&Cs carefully, you wuld have seen that Amex has for a long time been saying that "cash-equilavent" stuff like gift cards don't count. Their enforcement of it is inconsistent, but if you want to be safe you should never do it "obviously". So that's why you have to "hide" the fact that you're buying gift cards, if you're going buy gift cards. Buying them at giftcards.com is way too obvious. (As is buying them at the Amex site.)

Buy gift cards at grocery stores or office supply stores, etc, not online. (Store gift cards, including Amazon, will have no activation fee; Visa/etc gift cards are likely to have $6ish activation fee.) And if doing $500ish purchases of gift card(s), get some random grocery item (at grocery stores) or random computer/printer supplies item (at office supply stores) on the same checkout so it doesn't like as much to Amex like a round gift card purchase plus activation fee.

Ie, think of every way that Amex might guess (without itemized receipts) that it might be a gift card, and try to make it not look like that.
FYI, this is a recent transaction details shown on my 3 years old SPG Biz card - as you can see, office stores transaction is as clear as day and night on what you purchased.

OFFICE DEPOT

VISA,FASHION,$20-200
INCOMM FEES 2

Reference: 320171590203668634
Category: Business Services - Office Supplies

Originally Posted by satman40
Simon mall gift cards, should not be a problem.
AMEX does know what it is (mentioned by an account manager during a phone call), but so far it has not enforced it.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:39 pm

Me and my SO both had a hilton amex.

In April 2017, i got bonus points using amex gift cards bought online.
In May 2017, my SO did not get bonus points using amex gift cards bought online.

So .... YMMV?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomii
Me and my SO both had a hilton amex.

In April 2017, i got bonus points using amex gift cards bought online.
In May 2017, my SO did not get bonus points using amex gift cards bought online.

So .... YMMV?
How about AMEX changed policy starting May?

Unless it is the other way round timeline-wise, or someone reported getting bonus on the same type of purchase AFTER May, the only logical explanation is AMEX may now choose to enforce the wording in the T&Cs.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
How about AMEX changed policy starting May?

Unless it is the other way round timeline-wise, or someone reported getting bonus on the same type of purchase AFTER May, the only logical explanation is AMEX may now choose to enforce the wording in the T&Cs.
Amex doesn't need to be consistent on its enforcement, and thus assuming that datapoints (from others or from your own past experience) about gift cards posting means your gift cards will post on your newest card too can be a dangerous assumption, as the OP has found out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.