Does Amex Platinum make Uber trips more expensive?

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG P100, DL DM, B6 Mosaic
Does Amex Platinum make Uber trips more expensive?

Hi!

I've noticed recently that my Uber trips consistently cost ~15% more, despite traveling at the same time to the same place. This behavior approximately correlates to linking my American Express Platinum card to my Uber account.

Wild theory, but we know Uber differentiates price based on what they believe your income/willingness to pay is. Having an Amex Platinum card is a pretty good predictor of being willing to pay more--seems like Uber is getting the $15/mo benefit back, and then some...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by gDolan
Hi!

I've noticed recently that my Uber trips consistently cost ~15% more, despite traveling at the same time to the same place. This behavior approximately correlates to linking my American Express Platinum card to my Uber account.

Wild theory, but we know Uber differentiates price based on what they believe your income/willingness to pay is. Having an Amex Platinum card is a pretty good predictor of being willing to pay more--seems like Uber is getting the $15/mo benefit back, and then some...
Me too - in a different way - I have a Work Amex that is Green, and Personal Plat. If I have it set to the Work Amex Green, the realize it's a personal trip (before even picking the car), I change it to Plat Amex and it goes up $5. I thought it was surge at that exact moment a couple of times, but am wondering now.....
durche63 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT
You can change the payment method during your trip, after the price has been locked in.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG P100, DL DM, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by linglingfool
You can change the payment method during your trip, after the price has been locked in.
Not sure that's enough -- Uber's claim to a competitive advantage is simply that their data since is that much better than their rivals. I don't think switching payment profiles going to cause their algorithm to forget that I happen to have a card that's a pretty good marker of price insensitivity
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by gDolan
Not sure that's enough -- Uber's claim to a competitive advantage is simply that their data since is that much better than their rivals. I don't think switching payment profiles going to cause their algorithm to forget that I happen to have a card that's a pretty good marker of price insensitivity
sfcaFLYER's post makes it sound like he has both cards linked to his account and only notices a difference when he switches to his Plat for the payment method.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:33 pm

I'm going to have to test this out...
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
I was waiting for this!

I switched to Amex Plat from PGR about 3 weeks ago and linked it to my Uber account, I take Uber once a week to make a trip to the same place at roughly the same time of the day (way off-peak, 10PMish) and when I compare what I have been paying for the past 6 months using my old card I strangely found it cheaper by an amount ranging from 13% to 17% compared to what I'm getting charged now using the Platinum.

Looks like the advertised credit is a trap.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:48 am

Shouldn't Amex have a "most favored nation"-like clause in their contract with Uber? I can't imagine Amex would have intentionally entered a contract where their cardholders end up charged more than their competitors' cardholders.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by sfcaFLYER
Me too - in a different way - I have a Work Amex that is Green, and Personal Plat. If I have it set to the Work Amex Green, the realize it's a personal trip (before even picking the car), I change it to Plat Amex and it goes up $5. I thought it was surge at that exact moment a couple of times, but am wondering now.....
I am going to be so pissed if this is true. Have 2 phones and just did a side by side comparison running uber off amex plat and citi double cash. Plat estimates $17.06 while double cash runs 16.92. Less then a 1% difference I can work with, but am going to pay more attention to my charges now.

Edit test 2... f-ing hell.
amex 14.06 pool / 17.09 uberx
double 12.82 pool / 16.95 uberx

The phones are right next to each other
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
WOW. another amex computer glitch.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by gsxsilver
The phones are right next to each other
Just to be clear: these are 2 different phones logged into the same Uber account requesting the same trip using 2 different cards?

My daughter uses my monthly Uber credit, but charges all rides to her own Visa card, so she wouldn't notice the increase.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like we should all do one Uber (or Uber Eats) each month and the rest Lyft.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:25 am

Best way to test this is two different phones with two different Uber accounts. Open Uber and request ride at the same time, side-by-side. One has the Plat as a payment method in their account, and the other only has "normal" cards in their account.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Sounds like we should all do one Uber (or Uber Eats) each month and the rest Lyft.
I do, regardless if Uber is more expensive due to the Plat or not.
Seabilly likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ouch. they may claim credits offset it.

btw uber black is never under $35 is it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.