Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Interesting. Could be a good new development since booking the refundable fares required under the old program was a non-starter to me.

Could prove to be particularly useful during the TATL fare wars we see from time to time which are often Z fares on DL (which based on the above appear to be eligible)
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bedelman
... They do and they must, if the agent is correct. And if the agent is telling customers things that are incorrect, well, Amex will have to make that right through a dispute resolution process.
I doubt that American Express (or their outsourced benefit provider) train their staff to know the nuances of any frequent flyer program. All they mean is that these are not award tickets. The number of miles earned, and eligibility for elite credit, will not be something they can discuss.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:28 am

If agents don't know, they should say they don't know. Weaseltown says "The rep was adamant that IAP tickets confer all of the same mileage earning benefits as tickets purchased straight from the airline." Assuming that Weaseltown correctly summarizes the conversation, the agent would be very much out of line in making those commitments if not trained accordingly.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Add me to curious about how this will work out. I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone that books an IAP ticket and can unwrap the specific fare codes used, which will help us a bit until we start seeing data points re earning of RDMs and MQM/PQMs, etc.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Sigh, another reduction in value in the 5 months I've had the card. Their corporate offices seem to be conspiring to convince me to not renew.

The IAP is the program that finally convinced me to enroll, and it saved me several thousand dollars. I was going to be calling for a quote for my next trip and am sad to see it is no longer an option.

I have to admit I'm not giving up hope, as they are now offering non-refundable tickets and if they are at a > $38 discount (to offset the booking fee) and still get the 5x miles, I would have the option. And it could mean the program is expanded to more carriers. To folks with families (like my friend) it is an improvement because he would need 3 tickets for a flight and so IAP used to not help him.

Originally Posted by weaseltown
Don't know, we didn't get quite that detailed. The rep was adamant that IAP tickets confer all of the same mileage earning benefits as tickets purchased straight from the airline.
The old system did not officially, although it was my experience that some airlines would apply the miles because they see the Fare Code and not the detailed ticketing information. The new one specifically says "Still get miles from the airline" (Source)

My question about the program is - in the event of IRROPS, would I have to call Amex, or would the airline customer service be able to help?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
After hitting submit I had another thought... Maybe it's a goal to eliminate the platinum travel desk long-term, by making programs like this unfavorable.

A reason to skip the new IAP is that, if we're buying nonrefundable tickets now, using my Citi card for 3% cash back might be worth it since it also includes trip insurance.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Major improvement with the potential for some good savings.

Just priced an August LAX-CDG-MAD/BCN-CDG-LAX trip in Air France La Premiére. Google, ita and Air France were all quoting $6,344 roundtrip First. Platinum travel quoted $5,556 roundtrip, which converts to only 250,000 net Amex points using Business Platinum and Pay with Points. And you earn 36,000 Flying Blue miles, good enough for FB elite status.

Last edited by SFO777; Jun 17, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Originally Posted by SFO777

Just priced an August LAX-CDG-MAD/BCN-CDG-LAX trip in Air France La Premiére. Google, ita and Air France were all quoting $6,344 roundtrip First. Platinum travel quoted $5,556 roundtrip, which converts to only 250,000 net Amex points using Business Platinum and Pay with Points. And you earn 36,000 Flying Blue miles, good enough for FB elite status.
Thanks for posting, I had a similarly great experience. Was looking at SFO -> EU fares for a work trip and Amex was ~$500 cheaper in J and ~$1000 cheaper in F for Air France.

They also had BA F ~$600 cheaper than published rates.

@gooselee - I was just telling the agent about the fare codes I wanted i.e. F = discount first on AF, not P (full fare first on AF), and he was able to pull those up properly. He also said these earn points like normal, though with AA I think they still get booked as "special fares" i.e. earn % of distance as PQD.

Anyways, I'm thrilled with this change. I never used the program before because I usually travel alone if in a premium cabin. Literally 1 booking through this will pay my card's annual fee for years to come. Way to go Amex!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777

Is that a restricted/nonrefundable fare? Because for two people you will be paying $11,112, and it sounds like previously it would have been $6,344 plus the second ticket's taxes.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Originally Posted by Gig103
Is that a restricted/nonrefundable fare? Because for two people you will be paying $11,112, and it sounds like previously it would have been $6,344 plus the second ticket's taxes.
That is definitely a restricted F fare. Full-fare on Air France (P fare code) is ~$10,000 more than the discounted F fare.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:37 pm

Do all of the tickets earn redeemable miles, qualifying miles, qualifying dollars if booked using this revamped IAP program?

Also, can you mix-and-match with participating airlines? For example, NZ LAX-LHR outbound, VS LHR-LAX inbound.... ?

Last edited by mia; Jun 18, 2017 at 5:03 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Do all of the tickets earn redeemable miles, qualifying miles, qualifying dollars if booked using this revamped IAP program?
Appears that way. See here:

http://iap.americanexpress.com/
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Since I just upgraded to this card, I'm going to ask a stupid question. But would these fares also apply to a F fare for Mexico or the Caribbean?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Is this global? I am UK based and was quoted £2400 for a flight last week (matching BA website). I went to issue this week and it had gone down to £2200 but online still showed the higher price wherever I looked...... If this is the case, this is an excellent benefit for Plat/Cent - truly valuable and a reason to have the card in itself.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by YClass
Is this global?
Available for U.S. Platinum Charge Card Members and U.S. Centurion® Members only, and excludes Platinum Credit Card Members such as Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Card Members who are not also U.S. Platinum Charge Card Members or U.S. Centurion® Members. Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.