Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: Blue Business Plus, 2X ALL spend, cap $50k/yr. $300 Dell,FedEx,Docusign credit.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Please do not post referral offers or links in the thread or in this Wikipost. You may post offers (without links) in the dedicated REFERRAL THREAD.

TARGETED application link: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...us/index1.html

This is a link to a targeted 20,000 point offer for Blue Business Plus. The landing page shows an expiration date of 12.31.2017, however if you click [Apply Now] and then Offer Terms you see that the offer is valid until 12.31.2018. You will be required to login to apply. If you are not targeted the system will display an error: This offer is no longer available..."

Original application link (expired): https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/151/44960

Second application link (Expired): https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/151/44961
Print Wikipost

USA: Blue Business Plus, 2X ALL spend, cap $50k/yr. $300 Dell,FedEx,Docusign credit.

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 1:03 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by esf
So Amex thinks they can afford a 2X everywhere no AF card, but not a convoluted 50% back on a $450 AF card?
A problem is that it wouldn't be one or the other, it would be both. The Pay with Points refund benefit can be stacked with this type of bonus, because Membership Rewards are pooled. If you have both Business Platinum and Blue Business Plus you can spend $50,000 and redeem 100,000 points for $1,500 airfare (35% refund). If they had left the 50% refund in place it would be $2,000.

Last edited by mia; May 25, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Is this considered a new card? If I've had the blue for business, can I get the bonus on this card?
Old May 25, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
Originally Posted by GeorgeLopez
Is this considered a new card? If I've had the blue for business, can I get the bonus on this card?
yes, according to omaat
Old May 25, 2017, 6:02 pm

Seems like a great card with no AF, bonus, and 2x on everything.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I opened a SPG business card about a month ago. Is there a waiting period I should observe to apply for this card?

Edit: I did more research, and it appears there is no fixed new account rule with AMEX. So I applied, and was instantly approved for $9K credit limit.

Last edited by yngdiego; May 25, 2017 at 9:11 pm
Old May 26, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Wondering about the timing of this card along with another Amex biz card I've been eyeing...

I've been tempted by the Amex PLatinum Delta business card - offer for that expires 7/5/2017.

Now along comes this Amex Blue Business Plus card (no posted expiration date that I can see).

What's the consensus on Amex's tolerance for multiple business card applications within a short time frame? Like, within 30 days (I'm heading overseas on 6/28 so I'd have just about 30 days if I move quickly).

I have not applied for any Amex card for ages (well over a year).

I currently hold 3 Amex charge cards, and 3 Amex credit cards - so I think I've got enough open slots for both of these. Assuming that's the case, would Amex give me the stinkeye if I tried opening both of these within the next month?

Thanks.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I currently hold 3 Amex charge cards, and 3 Amex credit cards - so I think I've got enough open slots for both of these. Assuming that's the case, would Amex give me the stinkeye if I tried opening both of these within the next month?
These are both credit cards. So see here:
So I suspect you'd have no trouble with whichever you do first, but you might get a hassle with whichever you do second, simply because it'll be your 5th credit card, not because of the timing.

But why do you think not only that this promo will disappear but that it will not get better? This is a brand new card, and I don't remember when the last time was that a brand new Amex card had its best promo at the start and never again.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 26, 2017 at 6:44 am
Old May 26, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by sdsearch
These are both credit cards...

So I suspect you'd have no trouble with whichever you do first, but you might get a hassle with whichever you do second, simply because it'll be your 5th credit card, not because of the timing.
Yeah, I've been working from the assumption that, unless you're one of The Unlucky Ones, five credit cards is their limit. I know some folks have hit their limit at four - but it seems the current trend is 5, although admittedly it seems the distinction Amex makes between "five card people" and "four card people" is not well understood. Your experience and theory about human- versus computer-counting is interesting. FWIW two of my Amex credit cards are ancient - I've had them for maybe a decade - so if the "pre-cap cards may help get you five" theory holds, I should be in good shape there.

But why do you think not only that this promo will disappear but that it will not get better? This is a brand new card, and I don't remember when the last time was that a brand new Amex card had its best promo at the start and never again.
Probably because I hadn't considered that. That's a valid point. Although I think we've seen that for other banks - eg Chase Sapphire Reserve 100K initial offer - but of course Amex ain't Chase.

Sounds like I should focus on the current time-limited and historic-high Delta offer first, and worry about the Blue Business Plus later. Thanks for the rational and helpful info.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:42 am

I had the same thought, that the promotion will get better not worse. That's what happened with Simply Cash Plus ($500 offer went to $1000).

Bloggers are the ones implying the promotion will disappear. Maybe it will, maybe not.
I'm sure it's just a coincidence that you can only get it through their referral links.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I did a spreadsheet comparing this new card to the PRG I currently hold and to other personal cards the Everday and EDP. With my particular annual spend in the relevant categories: airfare, gas, groceries, dining, and other, I get more value from this new card.
My anuual fee is due on the PRG soon. So. I could apply for this card first. Then call to cancel my PRG and see what kind of retention bonus they offer.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I too am thinking about cancelling my Everyday (non preferred) card. My CSR, Citi Prestige get the bulk of my spend (heavy travel/eat), while I use Freedom for bonus categories, and this Blue card looks like a good catch all for non-bonus purchases.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by esf
So Amex thinks they can afford a 2X everywhere no AF card, but not a convoluted 50% back on a $450 AF card?
What's wrong with Amex?
This card is probably the reason why they killed the 50% back -- spend on Blue Plus and earn 2x MR and then get 2 cent redemption with having a Business Platinum. You are now looking at 4 cent per dollar of spending that Amex is giving out while they earn around 2.7% in transaction fees.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by eajusa
I did a spreadsheet comparing this new card to the PRG I currently hold and to other personal cards the Everday and EDP. With my particular annual spend in the relevant categories: airfare, gas, groceries, dining, and other, I get more value from this new card.
My anuual fee is due on the PRG soon. So. I could apply for this card first. Then call to cancel my PRG and see what kind of retention bonus they offer.
^
Agreed. I came to a similar conclusion. I ran the numbers and with my spending (both business and personal) in various categories, I should be able to get more than 2.5 MR per dollar of spending if I optimize and also maximize the 50K limit.

It will be very hard for me to put spending on other cards going forward except my minimum spending requirements on the Citi Hilton and Fairmont cards to get the free room.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Few reasons why:
1) No Annual Fee
2) The card is pretty solid on it's own merits, not simply because of the sign up bonus

What's the biggest ever signup bonus for the Everyday Card? 25k maybe? But I would argue that the Blue Business Plus is the superior card so AMEX may not need to go that high to attract new customers.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeorgeLopez
What's the biggest ever signup bonus for the Everyday Card? 25k maybe? But I would argue that the Blue Business Plus is the superior card so AMEX may not need to go that high to attract new customers.
It's mostly FTers who look at a business card and personal card in the same breath. The average person doesn't even consider business cards if they don't have business expenses they can pay with a credit card. Amex may need to promote a business card like this much more than a personal card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.