Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
I find the dismissal of Millennials here to fit the general attitude of most older people. "Oh they're just shallow, silly, and undisciplined. Glad I am better than them."

In some ways I'd agree, but because it makes sense. People who are younger tend to have fewer critical expenses, and have priorities based on more free time and more energy (in general). They are less likely to have children, much less a house or a spouse. So if they are more frivolous, it's partly because they can be.

Additionally, it's not like older generations: a) were oh-so-much-smarter when we were young, or; b) are super financially disciplined now. It's not Millennials who were using their houses as ATM machines 10 years ago, and who went belly up across the nation (and world) with interest-only mortgages they couldn't pay back. It's not Millennials who are within a few short years of retirement with nothing saved.

So maybe the answer isn't that Millennials are shallow. They have priorities, and they are marketed to just as we older people were/are. If they all want the CSR but aren't necessarily going to get the full value of its benefits, that would probably be true of the AMEX as well. If Chase's marketing is more effective, well good for them. There's a reason 80s songs started showing up in commercials for luxury cars: Gen Xers are now the target market, and are apparently "shallow" enough that marketers think they'll perk up when they hear them.

(Spoken as a Gen Xer with a CSR and an AMEX SPG...but no luxury car.)
That's a broad stroke of that issue. Sure it happened but it wasn't a huge cause. Mortgages to people who literally had very little chance of affording should the rate change at all(or really not being able to afford it at all. IE paycheck to paycheck) was a much larger cause.

Not that that has anything to do with this thread though.

Originally Posted by Explorer789
I am a millennial who has both Plat and CSR...I'm only giving my opinions based off of personal observations of the people I know (friends, classmates, coworkers, etc). I'm basing this off the fact that the school system teaches you absolutely nothing about finance to prepare you for handling things like credit or saving in general. Just look at /r/personalfinance to see the types of questions that just get repeated over and over. So I do not think that the dismissal of the younger generation is misguided.

Millennials tend to like low effort rewards and instant gratification that comes with short attention span. If it is too difficult to understand what we get, we just avoid all together. The whole article tries to make the idea of having premium cc's like CSR/Plat as a status symbol type thing. In reality, it has nothing to do with shallowness and more of a cc benefit war. If you want millennials to sign up, you need to offer something they care about. Amex is losing because 5x air/hotel is useless for most people who do not have much savings to travel more than once a year, while 3x dining/travel is straightforward and more applicable to daily use.
Agreed on that point.

And also agreed on the dining. "Oh everything I eat gets points".

Also on the flossed I have found I have a lot of millennial friends that are absolutely and completely financially stupid. Some without their family support would be in major trouble and others running low credit scores and continuing piling on more CCs with annual fees and carrying large balances. Just to be able to 'keep up with the jones'. So I guess marketing to this group can be great. Can either carry balances and get interest fees or lots of swiping eating out.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Explorer789
I'm basing this off the fact that the school system teaches you absolutely nothing about finance to prepare you for handling things like credit or saving in general...

...Millennials tend to like low effort rewards and instant gratification that comes with short attention span. If it is too difficult to understand what we get, we just avoid all together.
Neither of those things are unique to Millennials. Tell me when the school system wholeheartedly invested in teaching everyone financial discipline. And when people didn't want to cut corners for the easiest benefit they could get.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of your comment. Give people benefits they are interested in, and they'll follow. I'm a big believer in marketing as well though. There's a reason the CSR is "$450 fee, but $300 travel credit" instead of "$150 fee." They are segmenting the potential buyers. If Millennials were somehow unique in not wanting the extra effort, wouldn't that be a huge disadvantage for the card that they are supposedly gaga for?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Neither of those things are unique to Millennials. Tell me when the school system wholeheartedly invested in teaching everyone financial discipline. And when people didn't want to cut corners for the easiest benefit they could get.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of your comment. Give people benefits they are interested in, and they'll follow. I'm a big believer in marketing as well though. There's a reason the CSR is "$450 fee, but $300 travel credit" instead of "$150 fee." They are segmenting the potential buyers. If Millennials were somehow unique in not wanting the extra effort, wouldn't that be a huge disadvantage for the card that they are supposedly gaga for?
I am 33. My HS had a class that we literally learned to balance a checkbook, what APR on a Credit Card actually meant and unique/creative/real budget setups. Probably rare to have that experience/learning in HS. I have friends that are ~20-25 and they don't even know what a checkbook is or how much money they really have(let alone how they would balance it to know how much money they truly have).

"Online says I have 2K".
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat

Fair enough. Even if school doesn't teach that, fewer parents are. It's just "hey mom/dad, can you borrow your credit card to buy this" without actually knowing how it works.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by STS-134
If it's something you could have done yourself, I don't see how this really adds value, .
There is a lot of things people could do themselves but don't.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Did the rep actually do something that you couldn't do yourself? Like could you have gotten this reservation on your own, by going online, calling the restaurant, etc? If it's something you could have done yourself, I don't see how this really adds value, but if it is not, then I think it's valuable.
I've used various CC concierge services a number of times. Yes, I could find my Skype password, call restaurants in (say) Tokyo, hope whoever answers the phone speaks English and repeat that process until I find a reservation.

...or I can just call Amex or Chase, give them a list of restaurants and dates and let them do it.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Where are you going that doesn't take Amex? Even international. 10 days in Japan and I had to use Chase cars one time at the Shanghai airport. Everywhere that took cards in Japan took AMEx.

And locally I can't remember the last time. Even hole in the wall eateries have Square or similar. All Amex.
I have a minimum spend I'm trying to hit, so amex is my first choice whenever possible.

Costco Canada is MasterCard only.
Loblaws (multiple grocery chains, a dominant player that competes head to head with Walmart super centres) is MasterCard and visa only.
6 times in the last month I've had to fall back to visa because Chinese and other Asian restaurants in Vancouver don't accept AmEx.
My dentist doesn't accept AmEx.
My wife's chiro and massage therapist doesn't accept AmEx.

AmEx acceptance is a problem, that's just a fact of life.

Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Let's say we have different standards.

Also this thread may contradict with your impression.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...2015-a-21.html

And this latest post

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28179572-post302.html

Last time we flew out MIA it was the same thing. Luckily we could use the Premium lounge that QR used for their business class passengers - during the QR time slot, the foods/drinks all are better than what were offered in the Centurion, more options, better quality. Most importantly, far more seating areas available for a quiet meal without having people mulling around you.
I agree with Happy. Our visit to DFW Centurion last month was underwhelming. Crowded, few places to sit, kids running around-just like out on the concourse. Food was just ok, and buffet was not well kept up.

Some lounges are great-Qantas in HKG. But it seems to me that a lot of the heavy breathing about lounges is the idea of getting something special, rather than the reality.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I agree with Happy. Our visit to DFW Centurion last month was underwhelming. Crowded, few places to sit, kids running around-just like out on the concourse. Food was just ok, and buffet was not well kept up.

Some lounges are great-Qantas in HKG. But it seems to me that a lot of the heavy breathing about lounges is the idea of getting something special, rather than the reality.
Yea, I don't think millenials are into packed in buffets like Amex Centurion lounges. And you visited probably the best Centurion lounge.

If Amex is trying to be classy, Centurion lounges definitely are not.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Where are you going that doesn't take Amex? Even international. 10 days in Japan and I had to use Chase cars one time at the Shanghai airport. Everywhere that took cards in Japan took AMEx.

And locally I can't remember the last time. Even hole in the wall eateries have Square or similar. All Amex.
I can't even use Amex in my home. Both my gas and electric companies do not take Amex. They both do take Visa and Master Card.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by crimsona

I would agree with this. We went to France a few years ago and even in Paris I found our Plat Amex all but useless. When we got home I canceled and explained the reason. Two years later I have a Plat again and head off to Greece in a few days..... my guess is I will find the same issue I did 2 years ago....maybe even more so being in Greece.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:28 am

I can't help but think this change (and in particular, the Uber benefit) was part of a misguided attempt to try to get Millennials to sign up for the Plat: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/b...e-reserve.html

It's as if someone at one of Amex's corporate meetings asked: "What do Millennials spend their money on? What do Millennials buy, what do they use?" And someone else stood up and said "Uber! They take Uber all over town!" And therefore Amex decided to provide Uber benefits, without addressing the issues that still hold back the Platinum: A far less useful points earning structure and fewer transfer partners than the CSR. Millennials want a card that provides a good ROI for their spend as well as rewards that are easy for them to use.
Or Uber came to Amex in an attempt to market/attract everyone who is not a millennial to use Uber more often...
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jgoodm
Or Uber came to Amex in an attempt to market/attract everyone who is not a millennial to use Uber more often...
I read that Uber lost 2.2 billion dollars last year.... it may be both companies need each other.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david55
I would agree with this. We went to France a few years ago and even in Paris I found our Plat Amex all but useless. When we got home I canceled and explained the reason. Two years later I have a Plat again and head off to Greece in a few days..... my guess is I will find the same issue I did 2 years ago....maybe even more so being in Greece.
I think you may find lower credit card acceptance overall in Greece.

But, for sure, Amex will be a problem.

Frankly, I think any business that doesn't take Amex is paying attention to their costs, and potentially making a smart decision. In the US, it's harder to not accept Amex, but in Greece? Any merchant is pretty sure their customer will have a non-Amex with them. I can't see any US traveler going abroad with only an Amex.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by bigbuy
I can't even use Amex in my home. Both my gas and electric companies do not take Amex. They both do take Visa and Master Card.
Originally Posted by crimsona
I have a minimum spend I'm trying to hit, so amex is my first choice whenever possible.

Costco Canada is MasterCard only.
Loblaws (multiple grocery chains, a dominant player that competes head to head with Walmart super centres) is MasterCard and visa only.
6 times in the last month I've had to fall back to visa because Chinese and other Asian restaurants in Vancouver don't accept AmEx.
My dentist doesn't accept AmEx.
My wife's chiro and massage therapist doesn't accept AmEx.

Guess I just have better luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.