Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 8:47 pm

I've open a dispute with Amex but mostly I posted this so that others were aware that 1) having a Family Profile, even if it is empty, will result in the credit not posting unless you are very careful to make sure than when you book a ride you don't invoke that profile and 2) if you have a Business Profile then unless you manually indicate that you want to use the credit it won't be applied.

The only way to be assured that your credit will post without you having to do anything special is to make sure that your account does not show either a Family or Business Profile.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:28 pm

I have had problems strikingly similar to what the original poster sbededelman reports. 10-message customer service threads with a different Uber rep each time. Uber reps saying crazy things contrary to promo terms. Groundhog Day would be a big improvement -- this is a total bust.

My posts detailing a portion of my unsatisfying experience: 1, 2, 3.

OP, if you manage to make any progress, please let me know. I'd love to talk to the Amex rep who designed this promo or oversees Uber's execution of it.

Failing that, perhaps a travel blogger might want to write this up? The long support threads are priceless -- as OP says, ten messages with ten different Uber reps, who vary between not understanding the problem, offering crazy arguments in support of Uber's position, and denying that anything is wrong at all.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:07 pm

If you want to get Amex's attention there is a pretty straightforward way to do so.

Google "amex arbitration clause."

This will bring you to page where you can choose the flavor of Platinum card you hold. Click to view your agreement.

Search for the phrase "sending a claim notice" and read that section.

Amex is a very smart company. They require that before beginning a lawsuit, mediation or arbitration that you give them notice that you are going to file a claim. They even give you a link to a sample claim notice to help you out. Requiring that you give them notice gives them a chance to work things out with the customer without incurring the cost associated with a lawsuit, etc. The people who get these notices are smart, well trained individuals. If they receive bunch of notices from people making claims against the company as a result of their inability to make use of their Uber benefit that is going to get noticed.

I don't think Amex wants this program to be a source of ill will. Exactly the opposite. They just have no idea what's going on, how widespread it is and how angry it is making their best customers.

The higher ups at Amex just need to be made aware of what is going on. I'd suggest the best way to do that is to file a claim for the Uber credits you have been unable to use or otherwise lost because of the problems.

If that doesn't work we can all call the New York Times. Imagine the heads that would roll if they run a small piece about how Platinum cardholders were up in arms about a $100 fee increase that was touted as a great thing because of the $200 Uber credit that got rolled out only Uber is making it so you can't really use it. If that were to happen and it came out that people at Amex knew about the problem and didn't fix it I wouldn't want to be the guy who was responsible for that little mistake.

Amex is not doing well. Their claim to fame is their superior service. Once the top brass gets wind of how this being perceived by their top cardholders something is going to happen.

Before beginning a lawsuit, mediation or arbitration, you and we agree to send a written notice (a claim notice) to each party against whom a claim is asserted, in order to provide
an opportunity to resolve the claim informally or through mediation. Go to americanexpress.com/ claim for a sample claim notice. The claim notice must describe the claim and state the specific relief demanded. Notice to you may be provided by your billing statement or sent to your billing address. Notice to us must include your name, address and Account number and be sent to American Express ADR c/o CT Corporation System, 111 8th Ave., NY, NY 10011

Last edited by mia; May 17, 2017 at 12:12 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old May 17, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbedelman
The only way to be assured that your credit will post without you having to do anything special is to make sure that your account does not show either a Family or Business Profile.
Too bad members are learning this now.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I've open a dispute with Amex but mostly I posted this so that others were aware that 1) having a Family Profile, even if it is empty, will result in the credit not posting unless you are very careful to make sure than when you book a ride you don't invoke that profile and 2) if you have a Business Profile then unless you manually indicate that you want to use the credit it won't be applied.

I have a Personal and Business profile and have not had a problem getting the credits to apply.

They are not defaulted on for the Biz profile, but that makes sense because I wouldn't want to use the credit on a work trip. But it does automatically turn on for Personal and is quite easy to toggle on/off on either.

So yes, some manual input is required, but it's not an enormous obstacle.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:01 pm

You are correct. One only has to be careful if one has a Business Profile to make sure to click the button to apply the credit. The real problem is if you have a Family Profile.

While it makes sense that a member of your family can't use the credit when they call for a ride what's not very user friendly is that if you call for a car and accidentally use the Family, rather than your Personal, Profile then you can't use it either. Once you have called for a ride there is no way to fix the problem

I'm not sure why anyone would knowingly use their Family Profile rather than their own but if there is a good reason to have the option it should at least be set up so it's not so easy to do so inadvertently given that once you've hit the button you are SOL.

While I get that opinions may differ as to what is a good user interface what anyone who's tried contacting them will say is not in dispute is that Uber's customer support is below abysmal. They gave conflicting and erroneous reasons why my credit didn't post with every email and the way each communication was as if none of the prior ones had occurred was surreal.

Having thought about how to reduce the chances of having to go through this mess again I'd reiterate that if you don't need a Business Profile, don't set one up. If you do be careful to confirm the credit is being applied when the time comes.

Unless you really, really need it don't set up a Family Profile because as I said you cannot use the credit and once you call for the car there is no way to back out other than to cancel the ride. Ugh. If your family wants to have a profile much better to let another individual who doesn't have an Amex Platinum and therefore doesn't have the Uber benefit set up the profile instead.

Finally one additional suggestion. Make Amex your only method of payment. From my last conversation with them it appears they are very aware of the problems and are working to fix them. In the meantime if you charge a ride to Uber and the credit doesn't post they are empowered and willing to issue you an on the spot credit but can only do so if there is a charge.

That's very nice of them and for me drives home why I keep the card. Amex representatives aren't perfect. A few of them aren't even very good but the vast majority of them are excellent and the company empowers them to do what needs to be done when there's a problem. This is nice when it's a little problem like this but a literally a matter of life and death if you should ever need evacuation.

That their people have the knowledge and authority to spend the money and effort to get me to proper medical care if something terrible happens to myself or my family gives me great comfort and goes a long way to make the card a keeper.

So to those of you having problems, give Amex a call and ask for a credit. I didn't even have to ask, they volunteered it (along with the comment that they knew there were problems).
Old May 17, 2017, 7:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National

Beware - I had an issue with last December's AmEx/Uber Airport ride offer. AmEx chargedback and then Uber wouldn't allow me to use their service until I paid the amount. I deleted the uber app after a similar groudhog day customer support issue that you describe and used lyft exclusively. I finally just gave up and paid it so that I could take advantage of the Platinum uber credits.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Beware - I had an issue with last December's AmEx/Uber Airport ride offer. AmEx chargedback and then Uber wouldn't allow me to use their service until I paid the amount. I deleted the uber app after a similar groudhog day customer support issue that you describe and used lyft exclusively. I finally just gave up and paid it so that I could take advantage of the Platinum uber credits.
Uber is just shady all around. I only intend to use Uber just to make use of the credit. Lyft gets the rest of my business. Not only are their rates more reasonable, they are more ethical and pay their drivers better.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Uber is just shady all around. I only intend to use Uber just to make use of the credit. Lyft gets the rest of my business. Not only are their rates more reasonable, they are more ethical and pay their drivers better.
I wish we had Lyft here in Houston, but they decided they weren't going to comply with the City's new rules governing Uber/Lyft, so we're stuck between Uber and the Yellow Cab mafia. I think Uber is the lesser of two evils in that case, especially from the consumer perspective since taxis here are just awful.

That being said, the usually useless Texas state government that spends its time worrying about bathroom bills and other useless legislation, the state Senate just passed a resolution which would bring ridesharing regulation to a statewide jurisdiction rather than the current patchwork law BS that leads you to having certain apps in one city, not in others, and the extremely bizarre situation that used to exist in San Antonio where Uber could pick up in the cities that happened to be completely surrounded by San Antonio (such as Olmos Park), but not SA itself. http://abc13.com/traffic/texas-senat...-lyft/2004679/

Last edited by krazykanuck; May 17, 2017 at 10:36 pm
Old May 17, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
That is me as well. Before the Amex credit I pretty much only used Uber overseas where Lyft wasn't available. I have no idea if Lyft is any less evil than Uber but they if are, they are not so obvious in their evilness. So I'll use Uber till the credit is gone and switch to Lyft. Then decide next year when I have to pay the increased AF.

And Delta just announced partnership with Lyft. Not that SkyMiles are all that valuable but they are free pennies.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Uber is just shady all around.
No argument there.

Lyft gets the rest of my business. Not only are their rates more reasonable, they are more ethical and pay their drivers better.
How do you figure? Lyft's rates are identical to Uber's in Chicago: $1.40 booking fee, $1.70 base fare, plus $0.20/minute and $0.95/mile. Both have prime time/surge pricing.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:38 pm

Jesus christ are we really throwing around arbitration over $15? Not to stir the pot, but I can see why Amex is losing their ... over such price sensitivity--a far cry from the founding ideaology behind their premium cards...

Just after reading the last two pages, I'm astounded how many are losing their minds over a $15 credit not posting.

1) don't assume it will post for UberEats. take this as a gift if it does. you are not entitled to $15 worth of food monthly. you are however entitled to $15 worth of rides. Wouldn't be surprised if Uber immediately offered separate merchant codes for the two products.

2) ensure your Uber account is being billed to the "Personal" profile (opposed to Family or Business)

3) credit will not kick in if you ApplePay the ride to the enrolled platinum card--the card has to be enrolled directly within the Uber app as the payment source of record.

My first credit kicked in the first week in May, but I got the "enrollment" email from Amex on Monday of this week.

I get it, the higher annual fee isn't exactly great, and I can see how that infuriates some that the credit isn't posting. But let's be honest, this is a gimmick designed to stem the outflow of Platinum cancellations--not some legendary game-changing benefit to drive new signups
Old May 18, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
I get it, the higher annual fee isn't exactly great, and I can see how that infuriates some that the credit isn't posting. But let's be honest, this is a gimmick designed to stem the outflow of Platinum cancellations--not some legendary game-changing benefit to drive new signups
You first statement makes sense. But why should the same people care about what kind of gimmick it is? They are concerned about their own wallets, not Amex's bottom line.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:25 pm

The math for me is very simple. If UberEats continues to count to use the credit = good chance I keep the card. If UberEats stops counting = zero chance I keep the card with over inflated annual fee and idiotic "enhancement" of monthly Uber credits.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
Jesus christ are we really throwing around arbitration over $15?
I don't think you understood my post.

First I said file a notice of intent to file a claim. As I'm sure you know line agents are not in a position to fix problems only compensate for them. Filing a notice brings the problems to the attention those are in a position to make changes.

Second, making improvements to how the credit works isn't about one $15 credit or even a year's of credits, its about making the system work better for everyone.

I'll not apologize for wanting a credit that is part of a product for which I pay a yearly fee of over $500 but I'm certainly not embarrassed to file a notice of claim, or a claim, with the intention that Amex be made aware there are problems so they can rectify them.

You don't begrudge me or anyone else for spending our time in that manner do you?

Last edited by sbedelman; May 18, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.