Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Mine activated the next day after I applied my card. When I used it the first time (roughly 6 days later) they didn't even charge my card the full amount, the $15 was deducted on the app. The balance was charged to my card.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:16 pm

thanks. I'll call Amex to complain
Old May 7, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
So quite odd I have always had the most up to date UberEATS and Uber app. Uber instantly had(few weeks ago) credit from the Platinum card as something I could use. The EATS app has not(looked about once a week). I went to order food tonight and suddenly it is there.

Placed an order and it was on there as a credit.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:05 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
FWIW, I do not have the Uber app (having an old iPhone) and I still got the $15 credit.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:42 pm

Another month arrives, and yet again I have trouble with the Uber-Amex benefit. Same problem as last month: I still have a non-expiring credit balance from Uber, and Uber again took from the non-expiring credit balance rather than from the expiring Uber monthly credit. Really infuriating.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Troopers
I think patrick.barnes was referring to your comment of "It's a shame that using this credit has to be so complicated for many FTers"...so, were you referring to the decision to split the benefit as so complicated?
It does make it ridiculously complicated to use for people who only occasionally or never use Uber, doesn't it? For occasional Uber users, maybe they take a long ride once every few months, but that ride can't use up more than $15 of credit. For people who never use it, they have to order small items on UberEats every single month, rather than a single nice meal. So yes, it makes things complicated (for us). But it also makes us repeat customers of Uber/UberEats, which is what Uber wants.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by STS-134
It does make it ridiculously complicated to use for people who only occasionally or never use Uber, doesn't it? For occasional Uber users, maybe they take a long ride once every few months, but that ride can't use up more than $15 of credit. For people who never use it, they have to order small items on UberEats every single month, rather than a single nice meal. So yes, it makes things complicated (for us). But it also makes us repeat customers of Uber/UberEats, which is what Uber wants.
Bolding mine.

Nobody is forcing you to only order small items. You could order one nice meal once a month and just pay the difference - at worst, the $15 covers the delivery fee + $10 of food, and the remainder is whatever you'd have paid anyway if you had just ordered directly from the restaurant or picked it up yourself. FT is full of great ideas, but I don't think any of us have figured out a way to not have to eat.

I rarely use Uber when I'm home, and I've been travelling a lot less lately, so that means I'm putting this credit toward EATS. But I never feel like someone's twisting my arm to only order certain things from UberEats or that I'm getting a bad deal out of it. I can get a very nice meal for Mrs. Lee and I, with leftovers that carry into at least lunch the next day, for $40 or so *before* the credit.

Yes, the credit is making me use UberEats when otherwise we might have just gone to a restaurant or ordered directly from the restaurant or something. But UberEats also delivers from restaurants that don't deliver
themselves, and after the $15 credit we're talking $25 for 4 meals and a nice night a home. Hardly a bad deal, and I'd have spent just as much feeding myself otherwise.

There's a big difference between people who don't value the credit because they don't have a need for Uber and don't have access to Eats in their area vs. those who are annoyed because they for some reason can't bear to spend a single cent out of pocket to capture what can be a very real benefit/savings.

/rant
Old May 11, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes why order a bunch of small items on UberEATS?

I did sushi from our favorite local spot. Was 62 dollars and took off 15.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Is it really ridiculously complicated, or you just don't like it?

If it is really ridiculously complicated, it's because FT'ers make it complicated in attempts to extract maximum value. Consider the CSR $300 annual travel credit...it can't be any easier to use, right? Yet, there is a healthy long thread about what qualifies, when is credit applied, year end credits, etc.

If you don't like it, you have choices and can free yourself of Amex.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gooselee
Nobody is forcing you to only order small items. You could order one nice meal once a month and just pay the difference - at worst, the $15 covers the delivery fee + $10 of food, and the remainder is whatever you'd have paid anyway if you had just ordered directly from the restaurant or picked it up yourself. FT is full of great ideas, but I don't think any of us have figured out a way to not have to eat.
lol at the bolded. I am willing to bet my use of this credit will be 50/50 organic Uber rides and eats. Also I'm fine with that because if I order or go out for lunch at work, it's going to be $10ish bucks. So I'm basically paying $5 for $10 bucks worth of takeout that I don't have to go pick up.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I order 1 large firehouse sub and a cookie for about $10.87 + $4.99 DF. So a sandwich and a cookie a month is my new benefit LOL. Kidding aside, 3 of my favorite restaurants have Ubereats and their menu price is the same, they didnt have delivery before so its like a $10 credit every month on my favorite places
Old May 14, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Yes why order a bunch of small items on UberEATS?

I did sushi from our favorite local spot. Was 62 dollars and took off 15.
I think the point is that if the full $200 was available January 1, that would have been a $0 meal, not a $47 meal.

I had no problems using my credit for the first time. My $31.94 ride home from the airport was $1.94 after $15 Uber and $15 for the 'first time credit'. Looking forward to trying it with UE next month.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:04 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Gig103
I think the point is that if the full $200 was available January 1, that would have been a $0 meal, not a $47 meal.

I had no problems using my credit for the first time. My $31.94 ride home from the airport was $1.94 after $15 Uber and $15 for the 'first time credit'. Looking forward to trying it with UE next month.
Really, isn't it obvious this is marketing? They want to get you into the habit of using Uber monthly.

(If I was upset about something, I would be upset that Amex seems to be playing games with authorizations for Lyft. It seems they are failing them for no good reason at least in my case. NBD because I can use a different credit card for Lyft but I would prefer to have all my "transportation" expenses on Amex.)
Old May 16, 2017, 5:49 pm

Uber Credit Not Posting

I've been going back and forth with Uber all day over the fact that my Amex credit didn't post for a ride I took this morning.

First they claimed that it was because I'd booked the ride under a Family Profile. I informed them I hadn't created a Family Profile. They claimed I had and sure enough when I went to look there was a profile only no one was on it. Apparently if you accidentally click on the link but don't actually create a profile it creates one anyway so that then the next time you call for a ride your credit won't credit.

When I complained that it was a bit odd to create a profile with a single click and invoke it even though no family members had been added and then make that the default profile they then responded that actually the reason I didn't get the credit was because the default payment I'd selected wasn't the Amex.

When I noted that the terms and conditions specifically say that the form of payment didn't have to be the Amex they responded that I had to turn the switch on allowing the credit to be used.

When I noted that the switch was on and had been on when I ordered the ride they responded with how the Amex program was great since it gave me $15 credit every month except during December when I would get $20.

So to those who are hoping to offset the $100 increase in the annual fee by using the Uber credit I can only say that Uber certainly has gone to some lengths to trip you up. They've set the defaults so that on any given ride you don't get the credit. On top of that they are apparently requiring that the form of payment be Amex even though the terms and conditions clearly state that isn't the case. Furthermore there is no phone number to call to resolve a problem and emails go to a random agent so having a conversation is impossible because it's like Groundhog Day. Every email is as if all the prior emails you've send never happened.

I'm beginning to suspect that none of this is accidental. The harder they make it to claim the credit when you book a ride and by making it impossible to get the credit when it wasn't credited properly the less credits they have to give. Given what I'm reading in the news I'm not surprised this is how Uber runs this program but why Amex would allow this kind of thing has me puzzled.

Is anyone else having problems getting their Amex credit?
Old May 16, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Hmm I would complain to AMEX about this. I've used the credit twice now and neither time did I use my AMEX to pay for it.

It basically just shows up in my account as a "promotional credit" and then debits the $15 from my total, there's no "credit" that post like an AMEX Sync Offer does (it just subtracts $15 from the total like a standard Uber promo would).

I just used this month's a couple days ago and on my CSR it showed the following:

$19.57 (Uber)
-$19.57 (Uber)
$4.57 (Uber)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.