Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge new policy 2 guests ONLY (ends exception for immediate family).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Beginning March 30, 2017, The Centurion® Lounge guest policy for Platinum Card® Members will change. All Platinum Card® Members will be limited to two total guests at no additional charge. One-day passes for any additional guests, including immediate family members, may be purchased.
-- http://thecenturionlounge.com/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge new policy 2 guests ONLY (ends exception for immediate family).

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by swise
It's silly to have this limit when the lounges advertise children's rooms within the lounges.
It will be interesting to see if those rooms are removed or scaled down.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by swise
It's silly to have this limit when the lounges advertise children's rooms within the lounges. What's the point of having these types of accommodations for families if the admission cap prevents families from entering and taking advantage of them?
Family of three (two adults, one kid) -> kid room still useful
One adult, two kids -> kid room still useful

And people can still pay for additional kids if they value the lounge enough.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
I like the idea of a yearly pass system. It's the same for GoGo usage. I know which flights to burn a pass on versus which ones I will eschew internet access.

Perhaps the number of CL passes could be granted by what AMEX cards are owned in conjunction with the Cent/Plat, spend levels, or some combination.

Once the yearly passes are consumed, then charge a small fee.

Lounge overcrowding is real, and anything done to alleviate is around the edges an enhancement in my book. Only AMEX knows what would best benefit them, though.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:24 pm

I'm for the change. If it's enough of a problem for some people, they'll presumably cancel their memberships and Amex will get the message. If the benefits of the card still outweigh the loss, they'll keep the card and Amex will still get their money. This might not be the best solution, but it may very well be worth a shot.

As for the notice issue, it would have been nice to receive more of a heads up. But other than leaving a comment with customer service, there really isn't much that can be done about that.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Oformula
I'm for the change. If it's enough of a problem for some people, they'll presumably cancel their memberships and Amex will get the message. If the benefits of the card still outweigh the loss, they'll keep the card and Amex will still get their money. This might not be the best solution, but it may very well be worth a shot..
Agreed.

It's a good start. The over-crowding has accelerated to a point (especially during peak times at SFO) where Amex should try tinkering with the admissions policy to see what changes may reduce congestion.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Oformula
As for the notice issue, it would have been nice to receive more of a heads up. But other than leaving a comment with customer service, there really isn't much that can be done about that.
I called the platinum customer service line 800-493-8468 and shared that I think the change was made without proper notice--both the communication medium (remember we found out about this via a random passer-by posting here) and the timing (21 days notice). As of me writing this, the family benefit is still marketed on their website about the Platinum Card.

I feel for the person (yes, maybe only one) who is making a decision today to get a Platinum card based on the marketing info still plastered all over the American Express websites. For sure this was poorly executed.

To me the issue is not pro or con on the benefit but rather American Express needs to be clear about its benefits and not change them without proper notice to their customers. This is something that should all get our attention because it could be your favorite benefit up for modification without proper notice next time.

I would encourage us all to drop a line to Platinum Customer Service 800-493-8468 to let them know you expect more notice in the future.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:05 pm

I agree with the change 100% personally, but it's a moot point for me as I will be canning the card in a few months with the new increased fee, and idiotic "benefit enhancement" that makes an already fairly uncompetitive card even more so.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I was originally planning to have two kids, but this kills the deal. Guess I can only have one kid now!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:07 pm
mia

Originally Posted by antonius66
...in a few months...
When is your account anniversary?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
I was originally planning to have two kids, but this kills the deal. Guess I can only have one kid now!
I love your sense of humor. Good to have a little levity amidst all the brooding.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I was just told by the checkin agent at DFW Centurion Lounge that as of Mar 30 only two guests (including immediate family), meaning only two of my three kids can enter with me. Please tell me agent was incorrect. Is this another benefits change? Terms say:

"What is the guest policy?
Centurion® Members and Platinum Card® Members who receive complimentary access may enter with either up to two guests or immediate family (spouse or domestic partner, and children under 18) at no additional charge. Guest or family access is per Card Member, not per Card. Family and guests may not enter or remain in the lounge unless accompanied in the lounge by the Card Member."

UPDATE: yes it is true. Just saw sign at checkin. Agent said announced today.

DFW Centurion has a sign posted at check in stating that as of March 30, each Plat member can guest 2 people. No more "immediate family" option. If you have a spouse and more than 1 child, you will have to pay for the other children.

Agent said AX Centurion announced it today and the policy will be across the network and "will match the 2-guest access for PP."
Thumbs up for this change! I would have expected it not to apply to Cent holders but once again Black is the new Plat.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Hyatt Exp.; Hilton/Marriott Gold; CSR; Citi Prestige; Amex Plat, EDP, Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
For me it's a value increase if it makes it more likely that I can find a seat (because some people with >2 guests decide to not come to the lounge).

I have never had more than one guest (most of the time I am alone).
I certainly respect that point of view. Indeed, if I am traveling alone I would value getting a seat and some peace over having an unused option to bring my wife and kids. For me, it means the annoyance of not being able to use the lounge when with my family and, worse, probably buying a meal in the terminal instead.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:02 pm
mia

Originally Posted by JeffMIA
... annoyance of not being able to use the lounge when with my family and, worse, probably buying a meal in the terminal instead.
It's not that you cannot use the lounge. You can, but you need to weigh the cost of the visit versus the cost of that meal.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by mia
It will be interesting to see if those rooms are removed or scaled down.
The one in SFO is pretty small. I hope they keep it, for everyone's sake. That's exactly the sort of space that helps prevent a little kid from melting down, and if it still happens, they can close the door and not disturb others. Even with this restriction, there will be little kids in the lounges.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:43 pm

I don't care for the change in terms as I mostly travel alone but yes there is an issue with overcrowded lounges, whatever the underlying reason may be.

Maybe AmEx should offer two options to the Cardmembers:

- 6x annually 'Family Pack' (Cardmember + all immediate family members)

OR

- Unlimited 'Cardmember only' Access (not even +1)

As with other benefits (Choice of Airline, GE/PreCheck, etc) ... let the Cardmember choose whatever suits their lifestyle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.