Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge new policy 2 guests ONLY (ends exception for immediate family).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Beginning March 30, 2017, The Centurion® Lounge guest policy for Platinum Card® Members will change. All Platinum Card® Members will be limited to two total guests at no additional charge. One-day passes for any additional guests, including immediate family members, may be purchased.
-- http://thecenturionlounge.com/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge new policy 2 guests ONLY (ends exception for immediate family).

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Is offering/soliciting entrance by means of this thread, when clearly they wern't flying with the cardholder part of the problem? That will or will not cease next month?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-thread-7.html
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mhdena
Is offering/soliciting entrance by means of this thread, when clearly they wern't flying with the cardholder part of the problem? That will or will not cease next month?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-thread-7.html
Part of the problem, sure. I am not participating in that thread because it doesn't seem right for me to express concern about crowding in one thread and then guest in perfect strangers via another. But if the wiki is indicative of the volume of guests it produces, it probably is a drop in the bucket.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by kthpence
I was raised going to lounges with my parents, so perhaps they taught me from a young age how to speak quietly and not disturb other people trying to relax / get work done. I think that many parents now believe their child is "perfect," and can do no wrong ("Look at Johnny putting his hands all over the food, isn't he so cute?"). Some parents are simply bad parents, and undoubtedly lounge workers should reprimand bad parents if their children are causing an issue.

On the flip side, I also have seen some pretty terrible adults too. A man at the SFO lounge the other day was wearing a "Hillary for Prison 2016" shirt that I find totally inappropriate, and I don't think people should be admitted to the lounge wearing attire like that. There are also of course people who speak loudly on the phone, but I don't understand why people don't do what I do, and just ask them to keep it down. A lot of people are unaware of how loud they are.

I hope though that the cutting back on lounge members should reduce the crowding a little bit. Hopefully a family of five will now have to think about whether or not it's worth it to pay $100 to admit their two young children. Should be interesting to see...

I agree. I have been going to lounges since before any Tom Dick and Harry could get in. I started flying with my parents in the '60's It was a different time then and behaviour in general was better for both children and adults but for children typically parents had a strict be seen and not heard policy.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Slightly off topic question here, but in the event I forget my Amex card.. Can I still get access to Centurion lounge?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by BarryL
Slightly off topic question here, but in the event I forget my Amex card.. Can I still get access to Centurion lounge?
Ya, just call amex, they'll know what to do.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Shocked no one beat me to it. Yes, they can get you in but likely will hear:
"Don't leave home without it!"
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Shocked no one beat me to it. Yes, they can get you in but likely will hear:
"Don't leave home without it!"
What are you talking about
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
What are you talking about
8 Of The Most Successful Ad Campaigns Of All Time
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by hiima
Ya, just call amex, they'll know what to do.
I called them today, said card was required. I have an Authorized User who's flying tomorrow, but I haven't had time to get the card to her.

Maybe I need a different Amex agent?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
I called them today, said card was required. I have an Authorized User who's flying tomorrow, but I haven't had time to get the card to her.

To clarify, did you forget to bring your existing primary card or do you have a new authorized user who has hasn't received her card?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

I'd take a photo of the AU card front and back and text it to your AU. Maybe that will be enough. She can say she left it at home.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Even though I have a teen myself, I would be a-ok with nobody under 18 allowed in the lounge. I fly out of SFO so that's the one I'll frequent and I've seen kids manhandling all the food in the buffet, not long ago I saw a little boy repeatedly running behind the bar and grabbing at things.

The bartender tried to be a good sport but the mom looking up from her phone just laughing in the "Oh, he wants to be a bartender!" tone and the father not even looking up from his laptop.

Last time I was there I was sitting in the back area reading the paper because it was crowded and a family with two parents and 6(!) kids that didn't really look related, I think maybe it was cousins? Each bringing in bags, pillows, blankets, backpacks and luggage and just piled it up in the lounge hallway because there was nowhere to sit. Everyone had to step over their stuff to get in and out of the back seating area.

Good riddance. I'd happily accept no guests allowed or $50/additional and just use it for solo travel use. I don't think it's appropriate for some families. I know some want to bring in all your offspring but you can thank others for ruining it for you. You decided to have all those kids.

Take your $550/year and spend it on Cinnabon, they will probably have a better time.
I think you are equating kids with lounge idiots. I have taken my kids into lounges since they were 6-7 years old, and they know how to act. If anyone does not know how to act in a lounge setting, they can just ask them to leave, regardless of their age.

And if everyone is worried about overcrowding, maybe plat members get one guest and a few extra passes per year. Cent members could get two guests and have family access. If the problem is overcrowding from card member guests.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I had trouble finding my card once at SFO. Lounge agent told me that she could look it up if I was unable to find it. Then I found it.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by drwilliams
And if everyone is worried about overcrowding, maybe plat members get one guest and a few extra passes per year. Cent members could get two guests and have family access. If the problem is overcrowding from card member guests.
And yet, no matter how many times people want to rehash it in this thread, that is exactly NOT the solution Amex chose to move forward with.

But I guess it's fun to keep saying it over and over.

Regards
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by scubadu
And yet, no matter how many times people want to rehash it in this thread, that is exactly NOT the solution Amex chose to move forward with.

But I guess it's fun to keep saying it over and over.

Regards
And it's apparently fun for you to keep telling those of us who support the limited number of passes idea to shut our traps. Yes, it's not what Amex chose to do thus far, but maybe Amex will revisit the idea if overcrowding continues to be a problem (which I think it will). Regardless, this is a discussion board and the passes idea is germane to the discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.