Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
... make sure they are valid purchases or valid for the promotion.
Originally Posted by C W
You can chat online and the customer service rep can tell you your progress.
A rep is not going to make a binding determination of whether individual transactions are qualifying purchases. If there is a problem this would be done, after the fact, as part of an audit.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:43 pm
mia

Moderator action

Discussion of NYT article moved to separate thread, for now:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-snob-war.html
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Just jumped back on the Amex Platinum bandwagon after a few years off.

My card arrived today and the Cardmember Agreement dated "as of 4/18/17" shows an Annual Membership Fee of $450 still.

I had a quick look back through the thread but didn't see anyone else mention this. I somehow doubt I could contest the $550 fee when it gets levied because I agreed to it at application but wasn't sure if someone with a more legal background in consumer finance knows how binding the Cardmember Agreement is.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
Just jumped back on the Amex Platinum bandwagon after a few years off.

My card arrived today and the Cardmember Agreement dated "as of 4/18/17" shows an Annual Membership Fee of $450 still.

I had a quick look back through the thread but didn't see anyone else mention this. I somehow doubt I could contest the $550 fee when it gets levied because I agreed to it at application but wasn't sure if someone with a more legal background in consumer finance knows how binding the Cardmember Agreement is.
I think you went under the radar. The old fee is good until renewals starting this September.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:44 pm

Can I be reimbursed for precheck if I already have been reimbursed for global entry (wait time is MONTHs in advance)?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mr_rogers
Can I be reimbursed for precheck if I already have been reimbursed for global entry (wait time is MONTHs in advance)?
Why would need to? Global Entry comes with TSAPre.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mediahound
Why would need to? Global Entry comes with TSAPre.
I'd like precheck in the meantime while I wait for the global entry appointment
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:39 pm

No. You're allowed one of the two once every four years. The renewal period is five years, but you can renew a year in advance.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:49 pm

I'd like precheck in the meantime while I wait for the global entry appointment
Where are you located? You can probably just do a walk in appt. to speed up the process.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong place

Travel frequently,and so the Amex Platinum card would be fantastic, relatively new to the States so building up my credit score ,have a Delta Gold card since March (4k) and a Capital One Credit card (Nov 2016- 1k) FICO currently 691.

Should I wait a bit before applying for this card?
Old May 15, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
A trip I just completed really hammered home how much AMEX Plat lags behind CSP and Citi Prestige and really has made me question whether to keep it when up for annual fee (previously I was planning to keep) and shows why AMEX is having trouble competing in this category.

We had a few things go FUBAR during our trip (DL left girlfriend's bag in ATL instead of putting it on our ATL - LHR flight and didn't arrive in time for the wedding we were attending so she had to buy new wedding clothes) and then our JTR - FCO flight got canceled so we had to scramble to get FCO for our flight home from FCO.

In both instances I used my AMEX Plat for the 5x on airfare instead of CSR or Citi Prestige. Therefore in both cases there is no travel delay reimbursement coverage that I can claim for the added expenses.

Had I used the CSR or Citi Prestige I would have been entitled to compensation for both issues in particular the expensive new flights and hotel to go JTR - ATH - FCO after our flight was canceled.

I understand ultimately that's on me for booking with the AMEX instead of CSR or Prestige (and wanting those extra 2x) but these events just killed any future interest in putting my (considerable) travel spend on AMEX and will instead push it all to CSR for the added safety and security of insurance even if it costs me 2x.

So instead of adding stupid Uber credits (with annoying US only restrictions and limitations to Uber only) and increasing the annual fee, perhaps AMEX should consider adding benefits that actually provide value and encourage airfare spend.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
A trip I just completed really hammered home how much AMEX Plat lags behind CSP and Citi Prestige and really has made me question whether to keep it when up for annual fee (previously I was planning to keep) and shows why AMEX is having trouble competing in this category.

We had a few things go FUBAR during our trip (DL left girlfriend's bag in ATL instead of putting it on our ATL - LHR flight and didn't arrive in time for the wedding we were attending so she had to buy new wedding clothes) and then our JTR - FCO flight got canceled so we had to scramble to get FCO for our flight home from FCO.

In both instances I used my AMEX Plat for the 5x on airfare instead of CSR or Citi Prestige. Therefore in both cases there is no travel delay reimbursement coverage that I can claim for the added expenses.

Had I used the CSR or Citi Prestige I would have been entitled to compensation for both issues in particular the expensive new flights and hotel to go JTR - ATH - FCO after our flight was canceled.

I understand ultimately that's on me for booking with the AMEX instead of CSR or Prestige (and wanting those extra 2x) but these events just killed any future interest in putting my (considerable) travel spend on AMEX and will instead push it all to CSR for the added safety and security of insurance even if it costs me 2x.

So instead of adding stupid Uber credits (with annoying US only restrictions and limitations to Uber only) and increasing the annual fee, perhaps AMEX should consider adding benefits that actually provide value and encourage airfare spend.
Confused. I thought AMEX Platinum does come with travel delay reimbursement coverage. I've used it before for a misrouted bag to HNL instead of LHR and a cancelled flight out of ATL. Am I missing something here?
Old May 15, 2017, 10:06 am
mia

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
I thought AMEX Platinum does come with travel delay reimbursement coverage.?
It does not. All USA Platinum benefits are listed here.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...w-all/platinum

There is a benefit for lost, damaged, or stolen baggage, but not for delay.

Originally Posted by Duke787
...compensation for both issues in particular the expensive new flights...
I don't recall that that either card would pay for the new ticket.

Last edited by mia; May 15, 2017 at 10:40 am
Old May 15, 2017, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by OPENROAD
Apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong place

Travel frequently,and so the Amex Platinum card would be fantastic, relatively new to the States so building up my credit score ,have a Delta Gold card since March (4k) and a Capital One Credit card (Nov 2016- 1k) FICO currently 691.

Should I wait a bit before applying for this card?
Not sure if your score is high enough yet, but regardless, I would wait for a really good bonus offer before applying for the personal Platinum. As you can see in another thread, it is very likely that you will only get one bonus in your lifetime per card type. I'd wait for at last a 75,000-point bonus offer, and maybe even 100,000.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by mia
It does not. All USA Platinum benefits are listed here.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...w-all/platinum

There is a benefit for lost, damaged, or stolen baggage, but not for delay.

I don't recall that that either card would pay for the new ticket.
Good point...I never noticed it...AMEX is in the pits..I am canceling in next few days before AF hits first week of June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.