Wiki Posts
Search

How does Amex Norway work?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

How does Amex Norway work?

Do I need to connect my amex card with an existing bank account or is amex a standalone service. I am planning to get two cards for my parents and let them use them as I harvest miles. Can I do this simply by ordering an amex green card?

Thank you
Falcon
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:07 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Standalone.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
You can make your Amex payments through your regular on-line banking service in the same way as you would pay any bill such as utilities. Some Amex cards offer free supplementary cards that you can give to your parents, some have a fee (just go to the Amex site and read the terms of the different cards). Either way, you would still be liable for paying the bill for their charges.

Last edited by Low Roller; Feb 26, 2017 at 6:32 am
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Are you applying for the Amex card in your name and intending to give a card each to your parents? These are then known as supplementary cards. Some Amex cards charge for each supplementary card, but I don't think that all allow them, you should check. Amex has nothing to do with your bank account. It would be useful to know what country you are in.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
... It would be useful to know what country you are in.
This information is essential. In some countries American Express cards are issued by a bank under license from American Express, and they could link the cards to a bank account.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I from Norway. So, do I get a sort of an account and can I limit the usage of it, say can my parents fill it up with 10 000 krones and then make sure that only that much is used or how can I limit the usage of it in a proper way.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:34 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Falconflight
I from Norway. So, do I get a sort of an account and can I limit the usage of it, say can my parents fill it up with 10 000 krones and then make sure that only that much is used or how can I limit the usage of it in a proper way.
I don't think you want an Amex in that case. Are you planning to open it in your name? Do you have a good credit history in Norway? If not Amex may reject your card application.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:33 am
Suspended

Your parents can't fill up an Amex account (and neither can you). It is a charge card (some of them are credit cards). You apply for a card, and if you have a good enough credit rating, you will be issued a card and have an Amex account set up for you. You (and any supplemental cardholders you designate) can spend up to your monthly limit that Amex has given you. At the end of the 30-day billing cycle Amex will deduct from you bank account what you have spent (in the case of an Amex credit card you pay a minimum amount or more). You cannot pre-pay. I don't specifically know how Amex works in Norway, but I suspect it is the same as in the rest of Europe.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

So that means litterly that my if I am issued a card, my parents can use up to a sum of say in this case 20 000 krones a month, then at the end of the month before the end of the 30 day billing cycle, transfer 20 000 krones to my account so that when amex perform their deduction I remain on the same sum I was before. say if my account is 0 is remain on 0. Would this work?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:52 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Falconflight
So that means litterly that my if I am issued a card, my parents can use up to a sum of say in this case 20 000 krones a month, then at the end of the month before the end of the 30 day billing cycle, transfer 20 000 krones to my account so that when amex perform their deduction I remain on the same sum I was before. say if my account is 0 is remain on 0. Would this work?
Yes it would work, assuming you are actually eligible for the card and set up an automatic payment.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:14 am
Suspended

Yes, this would work. Even if you are eligible for a card you may not be eligible for any supplementary cards, so you may only have one, in your name, which your parents could share. This depends on the card you apply for and your credit rating of course. If you have no real credit history and a bank account that never has more than a few NOK in it (sorry, I am making an assumption which could be completely wrong), you will probably not be approved by Amex but there's no real harm in applying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.