Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX SPG Personal & Biz 35k 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by konoyaro
It would be disappointing if Amex is interpreting tax payments as "fees or interest charges".
Those are only two of the excluded categories:

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents
...but tax payments are not excluded. The agent is simply making up an explanation because s/he does not know why the points have not posted.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
An update to Post #76:

• Completed $3K spend: 5/13
  • Completed additional $1K spend: 6/30
  • Statement closing dates: 5/19, 6/19, 7/19, 8/19
  • Starpoints for monthly spend posted: 20th or 21st of each month
  • Starpoints for $3K spend (25K points) posted: 8/25
  • Starpoints for additional $1K spend (10K points) posted: 8/25

All's well that (eventually) ends well.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by silver02accord
I filed a compliant with CCFB and received the 35k SPG points about 4 days later. I don't know if it was coincidence or not, haven't received further communication from amex or CCFB.
Still nothing for me. The CSR I talked to just now said to check back next weekend. We'll see if that helps I guess.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Just one other point - when / if they do give you the points, they may be visible on the Amex site, but won't be available on SPG.com until your current billing cycle closes...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Still nothing yet for me either. The online chat person I talked to yesterday told me to check back next week too. I don't really want to file a CFPB complaint but maybe I need to.
I filed one recently, but haven't heard anything from it yet. I was successful in getting a rep to give me 3,000 points for my troubles.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:04 am
mia

Moderator action

Discussion of delayed bonus posting moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ver-month.html
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:47 am

Anyone do the "add AU cards for 2,500 each up to 10k total for 4 cards"? I didn't see a separate thread for this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Beginning 1 November, AMEX will delay "bonus" Starpoints for up to 12 weeks on the SPG AMEX:

"Bonus Starpoints received from your Card will be posted to your SPG account up to 12 weeks after the end of each month. Your account must not be cancelled or delinquent at the time of bonus fulfillment."

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-...e-for-rewards/
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Beginning 1 November, AMEX will delay "bonus" Starpoints for up to 12 weeks on the SPG AMEX:

"Bonus Starpoints received from your Card will be posted to your SPG account up to 12 weeks after the end of each month. Your account must not be cancelled or delinquent at the time of bonus fulfillment."

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-...e-for-rewards/
It sounds like they're taking something that's actually currently in effect:
but having to give 30 days notice before it becomes "official".
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I didn't file a CFPB complaint but my 35,000 bonus points are finally showing up on my AmEx online account. 4 months altogether from when I met minimum spend.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they finally showed up, but it shouldn't have taken that long in the first place. It's also something that will make deciding to keep the card more difficult, unfortunately.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:09 pm

Looks like AmEx is once again offering an increased 35K sign-up bonus for the SPG Business Card, until November 1st.

..."Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints after you use your new Card to make $6,000 in purchases within the first 3 months and an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints after you make an additional $4,000 in purchases within the first 6 months. Offer ends 11/1/2017.

$0 Introductory Annual fee for the first year, then $95."

http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...est/index.html

Last edited by mia; Oct 6, 2017 at 5:08 pm Reason: Clean link
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ebraaheem
Looks like AmEx is once again offering an increased 35K sign-up bonus for the SPG Business Card, until November 1st.

..."Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints after you use your new Card to make $6,000 in purchases within the first 3 months and an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints after you make an additional $4,000 in purchases within the first 6 months. Offer ends 11/1/2017.

$0 Introductory Annual fee for the first year, then $95."
Yes, except they're increasing the minimum spend required every cycle!

Last time they had 35k on the business is was $5k in first 3 months for 25k and $3k additional within the first 6 months for the extra 10k.

Now instead of $5k + $3k = $8k they require $6k + $4k = $10k! Ouch!!! I'm glad I got it the previous time, it was tough enough (with all 'organic" spending except $1.5k with Plastiq needed to turn a normally-debit/checking-only insurance payment into a credit card payment.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I just finished MSR on SPG Personal for which I found a 30K/3K offer (Incognito trick.) Bonus posted to my SPG account within 3 days of meeting the MSR - first statement hasn't even closed yet. ^
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:21 am

The small print states that if you have ever had the Starwood card before you are not eligible for another signup promotion.

I have had both the personal and business Starwood cards before.

What is the experience of users who have tried churning these cards, and how strict are they about churning? Can it be done?

Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:35 am
mia

Originally Posted by protagonist
What is the experience of users who have tried churning these cards, and how strict are they about churning? ...
The rule is enforced. However, if you closed your most recent SPG card 7+ years ago it will probably not be detected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.