Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 12:53 pm

Anyone have a DP on american airlines gift cards? My annual fee hit on the Platinum and I need to cancel it, but I want to grab some AA giftcards.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bobloadmire
Anyone have a DP on american airlines gift cards? .
This is the United Airlines thread. Look here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-aa-only.html
Old May 31, 2017, 8:14 am

I charged $200 to the UA gift registry w/ amex plat. It posted 5/28 and I got the credit 5/30.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:12 am

AmEx Platinum, is UA Registry still an option?

Last year I was too late turning my AmEx bonus credit into GCs. But I was able to do a registry and obtain $200 UA gift credit. Does anyone know if this is still an option?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:38 am
mia

Moderator option

Originally Posted by Irka
... still an option?
I moved your post into the thread discussing this topic. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the thread, and also recent posts reporting successful Registry reimbursements.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:35 pm

Has anyone tried to use the UA Registry for fight change?
Or where on the UA's website can I find the terms & conditions for the UA Registry use?

Thank you.

Michaelmorio
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:51 pm
mia

Originally Posted by michaelmorio
Or where on the UA's website can I find the terms & conditions for the UA Registry use?
Here, i think:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...tRegistry.aspx
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
interestingly, and at odds with this, if I google "united gift registry expire", the first result is this page, which states:

Account has an expiration date of 24 months of inactivity.

Now, when I navigate to the gift registry from UA.com, I do see the 5 year verbiage, so am guessing that's the current one and the 2 year one is outdated.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP G, CZ *G, UA *S, AC *S, Hilton D, Marriott T, IHG S
Red face

Charged $75 Fee on 04.01, and $21.6 Tax on 04.02, got $21.6 credit on 04.03.

Charged $13.1 Tax on 05.28, no credit.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:53 am

My brother needs to purchase E+ for an upcoming ORD-MUC award flight. I doubt he has used or even chosen an airline for his wife's Amex Plat. It sounds like he can choose United - set up a gift registry and charge $200 to it. Then he can use these funds for the E+ seat upgrade.
Is that correct?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by italdesign
interestingly, and at odds with this, if I google "united gift registry expire", the first result is this page, which states:

Account has an expiration date of 24 months of inactivity.

Now, when I navigate to the gift registry from UA.com, I do see the 5 year verbiage, so am guessing that's the current one and the 2 year one is outdated.

I noticed that as well. Anyone know the correct expiration? And if the ticket costs more than the gift amount the rest can charged on a card right? One of the T&c said something about not being able to use this card in combination with other forms of payment.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Thanks to all those who posted about being able to change the airline selection. I came to this thread to see if I should make one $200 charge or smaller charges and saw your posts. I then got on chat and got my selection changed to Southwest. Was just minutes away from buying a UA gift registry.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:21 pm

Another data point, because I know I was wondering! -

UA gift registry bought $200 in one transaction 6/18, posted on 6/20ish, reimbursed 6/21.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CherylD
My brother needs to purchase E+ for an upcoming ORD-MUC award flight. I doubt he has used or even chosen an airline for his wife's Amex Plat. It sounds like he can choose United - set up a gift registry and charge $200 to it. Then he can use these funds for the E+ seat upgrade.
Is that correct?
he can simply charge the E+ upgrade to the plat card and it will reimburse. There are some conflicting reports, but I am sure Amex will reimburse if one calls it in.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:09 pm

Is there a way to but a United gift card either directly using the Platinumj card or through MPX and get the reimbursment? I have a cash travel voucher and you can't use both the voucher and the travel bank on the same ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.