Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by duhmel
Is there a way to but a United gift card .
As explained in the Wikipost at the top of the thread, United Airlines no longer sells gift certificates or gift cards.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:49 am

I have 3 tickets to buy; will the ticket cost reimbursed? Please advise.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:54 am
mia

Originally Posted by troyhouse
....will the ticket cost reimbursed?
If the tickets are inexpensive, say less than ~$100 each, the system may mistake them for fees and reimburse, but the terms of the benefit have always excluded ticket purchases.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by mia
If the tickets are inexpensive, say less than ~$100 each, the system may mistake them for fees and reimburse, but the terms of the benefit have always excluded ticket purchases.
thanks for the quick reply. Tickets are 74 each and i will do it in 3 different transactions. Will have to try it out.

did anyone else try this and got reimbursed?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by troyhouse
thanks for the quick reply. Tickets are 74 each and i will do it in 3 different transactions. Will have to try it out.

did anyone else try this and got reimbursed?
Why don't you setup a gift registry and fund it $200. Then when you buy your tickets you use the registry + credit card
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:19 pm

$200 to gift registry in one transaction on 7/5
Posted on 7/7
Reimbursed on 7/8
Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:50 pm

Could I fund a UA gift registry for my wife? I don't normally fly UA. She is an authorized user and I'm the primary Amex Plat holder. I understand that the annual $200 credit is only available to the primary card holder. Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:53 pm
mia

Originally Posted by PTFlyer
Could I fund a UA gift registry for my wife?...
Yes, the recipient of the gift can be anyone.

understand that the annual $200 credit is only available to the primary card holder.
Incorrect. The credit is capped at $200 per account, not per card, but the qualifying purchases can be made with either card.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:06 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by Orion_1
Datapoint: Purchased E+ for $204, 2 days later I was reimbursed for $100 (Amex Gold)
Posted as: PREFERRED SEAT UPGRADE
^ Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:10 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Anybody have data point on United FareLock fees being reimbursable?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:15 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Post United EWR > MIA

Another POSITIVE data point for United E+ reimbursement. :-:

I booked roundtrip E+ for my son (since 1st two were covered as a UA Gold) at the same time as my tickets through on 7/12 and today (7/15) I see it was reimbursed up to my remaining balance (~ $90) on my Premier Rewards Gold Card.

Until next year....
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:28 pm

I recently had success getting credited for the United gift registry. $100 Posted July 9th, Credited on the 11th. This was with my PRG.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:26 pm

Amex plat $200 gift registry credit:
- 7/17: $200 gift registry purchase with Plat card (single purchase)
- 7/18: posted
- 7/19: reimbursed
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:49 pm

Does the United gift registry code as 5x for the Plat?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 3:22 pm

Hi all, been searching through the forums...question:

1. If I purchase an Economy ticket, AND at the same time pay the fee for Economy Plus upgrade, will it be possible for me to get reimbursed from AmEx (I will charge it to Platinum, and I plan to designate UA as my preferred carrier for this year).

2. OR, should I purchase the Economy ticket first, and wait till sometime later to purchase the Economy Plus upgrade?

3. Forgive my ignorance, I'm trying to determine the distinction between "seat upgrade" vs. "ticket upgrade" which was described earlier as being important to using the $200 airline fee credit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.