Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK Amex - No Offers Due To Low Profitability & High Risk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Amex - No Offers Due To Low Profitability & High Risk

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Unhappy UK Amex - No Offers Due To Low Profitability & High Risk

Hi all,

I've had my UK Amex Plat charge card for 2 years and have gone through a couple of other cards (BA/SPG).

Around 8-10 weeks ago, I stopped received the American Express offers on all of my 3 cards (Plat Charge / Plat Credit / SPG). Phoned Amex who raised a tech ticket. Few weeks after I chased and they read back the notes, maybe by mistake which said the customer has low profitability and high risk. Confused I asked this to be raised to which another agent took it over. Another few weeks, no update so I called today rather annoyed. A manger has taken this under his wing now and is finding out what the issue is because I am currently not eligible for offers. The manager disagrees as I spend around £40,000 a year on my card which he said is a lot than many others. For reference, I don't actually churn the Amex cards.

Wondering if anyone has any light?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:43 am

Have you recently missed a payment? Seems to affect this.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
Hi all,

I've had my UK Amex Plat charge card for 2 years and have gone through a couple of other cards (BA/SPG).

Around 8-10 weeks ago, I stopped received the American Express offers on all of my 3 cards (Plat Charge / Plat Credit / SPG). Phoned Amex who raised a tech ticket. Few weeks after I chased and they read back the notes, maybe by mistake which said the customer has low profitability and high risk. Confused I asked this to be raised to which another agent took it over. Another few weeks, no update so I called today rather annoyed. A manger has taken this under his wing now and is finding out what the issue is because I am currently not eligible for offers. The manager disagrees as I spend around £40,000 a year on my card which he said is a lot than many others. For reference, I don't actually churn the Amex cards.

Wondering if anyone has any light?
So you are a "low profit" customer, who spends £40K a year on the card, and also gives them £450 a year plat fee ? Isn't one of the advertised features of the card, that you ARE PAYING FOR, that they give you offers from time to time ?

It seems something weird is going on.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:00 pm

Wow, I really like Amex... and they've been very good to me, but they sure have some explaining to do for this one...
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Reply moved down.

Last edited by Ryanfozzie; Dec 22, 2016 at 2:28 am Reason: Wrong order
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
Have you recently missed a payment? Seems to affect this.
Never missed a payment
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tangey
So you are a "low profit" customer, who spends £40K a year on the card, and also gives them £450 a year plat fee ? Isn't one of the advertised features of the card, that you ARE PAYING FOR, that they give you offers from time to time ?

It seems something weird is going on.
It turns out that offers are not guaranteed...
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Wow, I really like Amex... and they've been very good to me, but they sure have some explaining to do for this one...
I feel rather disheartened to this. I also love or maybe loved amex and didn't churn the charge cards as I actually valued the product and service. The agent basically said if I had churned, I would have been more likely to recieve the offers!
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:28 am
Original Poster

So an update for everyone....

Firstly I have been told offers are not guaranteed, however I will explain their reason.

Over the past 2 years, I have had 17 adjustments and 3 complaints on my account. The adjustments included 3 recent shop small issues where the merchant didn't accept Amex, I called Amex and without asking, they offered me the statement credit. A lot of the other ones are points that didn't credit, referrals that never posted etc. etc. They stated that means the merchants didn't want to offer me any offers. They said I should have not accepted the first line agents offers of points or money and should have insisted on making formal complaints to be upheld and these do not have a negative effect. The agent said I could make a complaint, but that would just make things worse. He said nothing can be done and we are at a standstill. I said okay then, clearly as such a bad customer, I will close my 3 accounts, he said oh we don't want you to do that though as we value you as a customer due to your high spend etc. In short, if you have issues that are Amex's fault, if you let the first line agents resolve the issue without complaint, this will have detrimental affect to your account and ability to receive offers.

So it seems I am being punished for issues that are no fault of my own. Does that seem fair? To me certainly not...

The agent said as a exception I could speak to the first line exec team later today without making a complaint....
Old Dec 22, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Amex Platinum
Interesting. Thanks for posting, sounds like a 6 month break from the platinum card is in order!

Do you currently have any other Amex issued cards?
Old Dec 22, 2016, 7:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
...17 adjustments and 3 complaints on my account... no fault of my own. Does that seem fair? ....
Fault and fairness are not programmed into the algorithm that flagged your account. It would be little different at any other issuer. No individual customer is important to any mass market company. Each of us is an instance of a type of customer, and your complaints have placed you in a category that is, on average, unprofitable.

You are expecting American Express to evaluate your individual complaints on their merits, but they only see the pattern. They will listen to you, but nothing will change if you persist in complaining about trivial discrepancies. I know that sounds harsh, and it doesn't match how you see yourself, but that's the way their model sees you.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is an important insight, not just as to Amex, but as to any service provider (including air carrier or hotel program).

Time spent on the phone, email, or other means responding to individual issues is a costly but necessary aspect of doing business. It is particularly necessary for credit card issuers because it involves financial services and consumers have specific rights.

But, when those rights are exercised routinely for smallish issues, even a seemingly profitable customer becomes unprofitable.

Large financial institutions track profitability carefully. It was unusual that Amex was as candid as it was here. Few are. Generally, all that would be said is, "sorry, these are not guaranteed and our decision is final." OP would never have known.

There is tremendous financial pressure in this industry and OP really has two choices. First, let things ride as they are for several years. Do not make comlaints about anything small. Resist the temptation to contact Amex about anything that is not a major event just because one may do so. Second, close the accounts, move on and start a new relationship with a clean slate and resist the temptation to become a "pen pal" of the new financial institution.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

A further update. Out of the blue (I haven't called them back yet because I have been busy) this morning received a call from one of the executive team. He stated the agent who I spoke to was 100% completely wrong. He said how can we penalise a customer who has had issues and we have offered to fix it, it is absurd. He said he doubts it would be legal for them to restrict benefits if a customer has made complaints. He also said, if you were offered points or money, take them, who wouldn't?!

I mentioned the note that the tech team who added the note that the customer is high risk or not profitable. He is still very confused about that and is going up the chain to get this fixed. He couldn't have been more sorry!

The story continues....
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hanrahantom
Interesting. Thanks for posting, sounds like a 6 month break from the platinum card is in order!

Do you currently have any other Amex issued cards?
The original guy I said to that would make do difference. I have the Plat Charge, Plat Credit Companion, SPG and BA.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Fault and fairness are not programmed into the algorithm that flagged your account. It would be little different at any other issuer. No individual customer is important to any mass market company. Each of us is an instance of a type of customer, and your complaints have placed you in a category that is, on average, unprofitable.

You are expecting American Express to evaluate your individual complaints on their merits, but they only see the pattern. They will listen to you, but nothing will change if you persist in complaining about trivial discrepancies. I know that sounds harsh, and it doesn't match how you see yourself, but that's the way their model sees you.
Yeah for sure, I totally understand, however it seems what I was told is complete BS. The executive that called me back saying how could they punish a customer for having genuine issues (he has looked into them) and said it is not legal for them to do that. I've never heard anyone so sorry on the phone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.