Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA Amex PERSONAL charge cards "please pay by" date is now a "due" date.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Amex PERSONAL charge cards "please pay by" date is now a "due" date.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
... Is it 2 weeks after the statement date, or 25 days? Or another length of time? .
First report in post 12.

We have a statement dated 12.26.2016, due 1.20.2017.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by mia
First report in post 12.

We have a statement dated 12.26.2016, due 1.20.2017.
Thanks, I had the awkward timing of my December statement being due the 1st of January, so I wasn't sure if that was going to be my actual date going forward with my current monthly statement close date, or if that was simply due to the effective date of the new policy being the 1st of January. Looks like mine should be the 1st of the month going forward (will report of course what happens with my January statement just for certainty here). Important for some of us floating "funding" monthly for other purposes .
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
I can't get too worked up over this change but it does reduce the convenience of holding the card. It also does not appear to have made its way to my Business Platinum card.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Thanks, I had the awkward timing of my December statement being due the 1st of January, so I wasn't sure if that was going to be my actual date going forward with my current monthly statement close date, or if that was simply due to the effective date of the new policy being the 1st of January. Looks like mine should be the 1st of the month going forward (will report of course what happens with my January statement just for certainty here). Important for some of us floating "funding" monthly for other purposes .
My statement closed on the 6th, was issued the 7th. Payment due date is the 1st of February.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:04 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amex further shortens payment terms for Plats (and Cents?)

It must have been in the small print somewhere, but I missed it.

When I became a Plat member, you were allowed two billing cycles to pay. Sometime a few years back, it was reduced to one billing cycle.

Effective in January, 2017, it was further reduced to (according to Plat reps) 25 days from the time the cycle closes -- more like 18-20 days from receipt of the paper bill. Be two minutes overdue and a late charge is assessed.

The supervisor I spoke to said that Amex has reduced all cards to the same cycle. I asked if that meant Cent too and he said it was for all cards, but who knows if that was right.

Given that Amex has not added any significant new benefit in the past several years, with yet another takeaway, I am increasingly beginning to wonder if the card is worth having compared to a cheaper Amex.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
How did you realize / get notified of this change? I always thought the actual deadline was anytime before the next statement closing date, and that the "please pay by" date was a meaningless "suggestion". I have the business Plat but haven't put any spend on it so far in 2017, so haven't paid any attention to dates.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I usually choose the last date shown in the payment calendar. Is that now too late?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:43 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mh4ll
How did you realize / get notified of this change? I always thought the actual deadline was anytime before the next statement closing date, and that the "please pay by" date was a meaningless "suggestion". I have the business Plat but haven't put any spend on it so far in 2017, so haven't paid any attention to dates.
Any changes to card benefits or terms are listed on the card statement.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yep, Cents had the change too. But I was told that it's never going to be an issue for me if I happen to be late every once in a blue moon.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:30 am
mia

Originally Posted by mh4ll
...have the business Plat but haven't put any spend on it so far in 2017, so haven't paid any attention to dates.
The change has not (yet) been made for business charge cards.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:56 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Yep, Cents had the change too. But I was told that it's never going to be an issue for me if I happen to be late every once in a blue moon.
Yeah, they'll waive it most likely, like they did for me -- but I bet you have to waste time calling to get it to happen.

This strikes me as incredibly stupid on a card costing $450 a year but completely insane for one costing $2500.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Yeah, they'll waive it most likely, like they did for me -- but I bet you have to waste time calling to get it to happen.

This strikes me as incredibly stupid on a card costing $450 a year but completely insane for one costing $2500.
One of the good things about Centurion is they answer on the first ring and always respond with a "i'll take care of it right away sir" type of response. So calling in is not a pain and does not take much time at all.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:22 am
mia

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This strikes me as incredibly stupid ..
Sorry, I don't see how requiring customers to pay within terms is burdensome, nor why anyone would pay late in view of the automated payment options.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
nor why anyone would pay late in view of the automated payment options.
Ooohh, you've struck a chord there. Perhaps it is a divide between millenials and us older folks. Many people have had very bad experiences with automated payment services. I hope it is all working better these days, but I am not interested in it.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:40 am
mia

Originally Posted by stimpy
...Perhaps it is a divide between millenials and us older folks.....
Perhaps, but I think not (Member Since 1977).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.