Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Lounge front desk staff vs hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Centurion Lounge front desk staff vs hotel

After a week of staying in mid-level hotels, it was such a surprise checking in to the Centurion Lounge in Houston. The lady didn't flinch when I said I forgot my platinum card, looked it up and got me in. She smiled and was very pleasant.
Whereas at the hotels they look at you like if you're from Mars when you ask a question like "can I leave my luggage?" or respond with "I'm not sure that can be done" after "I'm here for two nights. They're on separate on reservations. Can you combine them?"

Why are the people so much more pleasant in the Amex lounge? Is it because their place looks nicer than these hotels, and so feel classier? Is it because they are paid more (I have no idea how much people make in comparison, but neither of these groups gets tips)?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:38 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the AMEX Forum. Please follow there.
Thanks....
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Amex has always been a cut above every other CC issuer in terms of CS to me.
Same as Nordstrom, Costco.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
AMEX is about relationship building...as well as the money...

Others? Money...and strictly money...
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: *G
i like oranges because theyre more sour than apples
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by deniah
i like grapes because theyre more sour than apples
FIFY
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:06 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I think it has a lot to do with the clientele they work with. Not to sound elitist or anything, but people who have lounge access at airports are usually at least middle class or higher, and the lounge has an aura of exclusivity around it. Once-a-year travelers probably won't be using lounges. Hotel desk clerks, on the other hand, are dealing with everyone from all walks of life, and therefore may get jaded and cynical quickly.

I've generally found lounge attendants to be more pleasant than any other employees I encounter at a given airport.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
I think it has a lot to do with the clientele they work with. Not to sound elitist or anything, but people who have lounge access at airports are usually at least middle class or higher, and the lounge has an aura of exclusivity around it. Once-a-year travelers probably won't be using lounges. Hotel desk clerks, on the other hand, are dealing with everyone from all walks of life, and therefore may get jaded and cynical quickly.

I've generally found lounge attendants to be more pleasant than any other employees I encounter at a given airport.
A lot of people have basic Amex cards though. I wonder how many pony up for lounge access.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Just wondering though since my amex platinium has not been activated yet, can they still search for the card in their system?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by happyvoid
Just wondering though since my amex platinium has not been activated yet, can they still search for the card in their system?
You have to have the physical card. The lounge will run the card to verify.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Perhaps not...

Originally Posted by s0ssos
.... checking in to the Centurion Lounge in Houston. The lady didn't flinch when I said I forgot my platinum card, looked it up and got me in. ....
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I was able to get in to the SFO lounge holding a Gold card that had been upgraded to Plat but I hadn't received the new piece of plastic yet.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
That's not true for US, Canadian or UK cards. (Other cards need to be presented in person as they can't look them up).
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
It's my recollection that American Express added my card to Samsung Pay immediately upon approval. If I had needed it, I would have asked them nicely if they would let me try once to swipe the slot and if it came up as recognized, I would then asked to be admitted.

Just an odd data point . . .
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

depends on the hotel company and hotel..

1 hire by attitude (really, not just claim it)
2 training, supervision, ops where not rote/SOP/inflexible/robot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.