Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree
TPG is reporting that the Biz Plat will also get an expansion of the MR travel redemption rebate from 30% to 50%:

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/10/amex...um-5x-airfare/
That's actually a really nice benefit, especially with the coming devaluation of TYPs for paid airfare. 2 cpp with your preferred airline. I'll definitely be keeping my Biz Plat card open regardless of retention offer next year. Spend will still go mostly to EDP though
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:04 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by roundtree
TPG is reporting that the Biz Plat will also get an expansion of the MR travel redemption rebate from 30% to 50%:
He is also reporting that Business Platinum will not earn 5X on airfare.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
I'm not sure that 5x MRs is enough for me to accept the lack of delay insurance. The last ticket I booked on Platinum (to meet minimum spend) was a delay/cancellation/rebooking nightmare.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:15 pm

5X points ONLY if you booked directly through the airline.. Thats nots a deal at all...at least for me. How is this going to compete with Reserve card from Chase? I have no idea..
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cubbies2016
Meh I don't really use that feature.
Well in that case it's clearly worthless

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
5X points ONLY if you booked directly through the airline.. Thats nots a deal at all...at least for me.
Do you buy your air travel through OTAs? Or is 5x on airfare just not desirable.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:19 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
5X points ONLY if you booked directly through the airline...
American Express does not know how you book, only if the transaction is submitted by an airline. Most (not all) tickets purchased through agencies are billed by the carrier. How do you want to be able to book?

In any event, the pattern of these announcements suggests that American Express is not focused on the churners who pursue signup bonuses or pay for tickets with miles.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:23 pm

Too soon to speculate if this means,

1. Transactions occurring on/after October 6
2. Transactions posting on/after October 6
3. Transactions posting in the billing cycle that includes October 6?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Or you could put it on your Freedom Unlimited since UR >> MR
Try to pay a $100k+ invoice with a freedom card... the open platinum is the only card with such limits. So getting extra 50,000 is really nice!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
He is also reporting that Business Platinum will not earn 5X on airfare.
Didn't the earlier announcement say "all charge cards." Biz Plat is a charge card.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:34 pm

Didn't the earlier announcement say "all charge cards." Biz Plat is a charge card.
The tweet said "eligible" charge card, which some took to mean all charge cards. But AmEx did not say that.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by CaroPalms
The Seattle Times reported that AMEX scheduled a media event for tomorrow that "would make traveling with American Express Platinum better than ever before."

There may still be more to come (I hope).
Or it's going to be a really short event
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
With all the negative changes and devaluations to loyalty programs and reward credit cards, it is refreshing to see a positive development for the American Express Platinum. The airline spend benefit enhancement give me reason to actually put spend on the card for something; I had little reason before.

It would be better if there is more to be announced than just 5 MR points on airline spend, as the card will stay at home for most everything else. I also hope this new benefit doesn't come with an increased annual fee.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

While this is a great benefit for those who pay cash for tickets, I'm struggling to see how it makes sense for Amex. At 5x, even if you value MR at 1 cent each, that's 5% back. There's no way their swipe fees are that high, so this is a loss leader for them. The point of a loss leader is to get people to also buy other products that they can make money on, but I don't think this will increase spending in other categories. People will put their airfare on the card and continue to use other cards for everything else. Perhaps a few people who fly often will sign up for the card specifically for this benefit, but they are likely to cost Amex a lot unless the benefit is capped. I'm just not seeing how this is going to be sustainable.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
I'm just not seeing how this is going to be sustainable.
Chase's 5% (cat. bonus) is sustainable, so I don't see why amex won't. People obvious use their cards outside the bonus category even if there are better cards for the purchase.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gsxsilver
Chase's 5% (cat. bonus) is sustainable, so I don't see why amex won't. People obvious use their cards outside the bonus category even if there are better cards for the purchase.
Chase's category bonuses are sustainable in part because they're capped at $1500/qtr.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.