Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:39 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Or does the 5x only apply to domestic transactions (e.g. domestic airlines) only?
No nationality restrictions in the terms:

https://www.americanexpress.com/travelterms

You will get one point for each dollar charged for an eligible purchase in each billing period on your Platinum Charge Card from American Express. You will get 4 additional points (for a total of 5 points) for airfare on a scheduled flight charged directly with passenger airlines or through American Express Travel (Platinum Travel Service or amextravel.com). Charter flights, private jet flights, flights that are part of vacation packages, tours, or cruises, and flights booked with Platinum Travel Service on airlines that do not accept American Express are excluded. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include ticketing service or other fees, interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not qualify for additional points if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not qualify for additional points. A purchase may not qualify for additional points if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.

Seller of Travel
American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc.,when acting solely as a sales agent for travel suppliers, is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. We want you to be aware that certain suppliers pay us commissions and other incentives for reaching sales targets or other goals, and may also provide incentives to our travel counselors. For more information please visit www.americanexpress.com/travelterms
California CST#1022318, Washington UBI#600-469-694, Iowa TA#669.

Membership Rewards Program
Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards program apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276) for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice.

The value of Membership Rewards points varies according to how you choose to use them. To learn more, go to www.membershiprewards.com/pointsinfo.

Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
MPX is not posting as 5x.
Anyone has a screen shot of the Amex MR points showing 5x for MPX? I am waiting for my November personal platinum MR points to finalize (they are showing as pending for over a month) before posting a screen shot here.

P
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by peterrudy
Anyone has a screen shot of the Amex MR points showing 5x for MPX? I am waiting for my November personal platinum MR points to finalize (they are showing as pending for over a month) before posting a screen shot here.

P
My recent statement did not have 5x MR for MPX purchases. I switched cards to the CSR, which is getting 3x UR.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:49 am

I chose Delta as my airline in 2016 and purchased 4 Delta gift cards. They all earned 5x bonus points in my final MR statement (see PDF). I guess I will stick to Delta as my airline choice for 2017.

Interestingly, airline seat fees from SAS & KLM also earned 5x points.

P
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Amex MR 5x travel.pdf (29.0 KB, 70 views)
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:53 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

... They all earned 5x bonus points in my final MR statement...
Interestingly, airline seat fees from SAS & KLM also earned 5x points.
Any purchase from any airline should earn 4 bonus points per dollar. This feature is NOT tied to your Airline Fee Reimbursement choice, nor is it restricted to domestic carriers.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Any purchase from any airline should earn 4 bonus points per dollar. This feature is NOT tied to your Airline Fee Reimbursement choice, nor is it restricted to domestic carriers.
Right, though I assume that requires the merchant code to be "Travel - Airline" or something similar, right? Always pays to confirm that from DP here on FT!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA*G
Any data if booking with personal platinum through Amextravel.com still rewards the 1 extra point
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:15 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by yul7075
Any data if booking with personal platinum through Amextravel.com still rewards the 1 extra point
Doesn't look like it:
5X Air
You will get one point for each dollar charged for an eligible purchase in each billing period on your Platinum Card from American Express. You will get 4 additional points (for a total of 5 points) for airfare on a scheduled flight charged directly with passenger airlines or through American Express Travel (Platinum Travel Service or amextravel.com). Charter flights, private jet flights, flights that are part of vacation packages, tours, or cruises, and flights booked with Platinum Travel Service on airlines that do not accept American Express are excluded. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include ticketing service or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not qualify for additional points if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not qualify for additional points. A purchase may not qualify for additional points if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.
My emphasis
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:22 am

Does anybody know if they can redeem .02 for other user beside the card holder? Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle

P
I tried twice in Nov/Dec. Neither MPX purchase got 5x points NOR a statement credit (which is what I was hoping for as united is my airline of choice).

I have had the Amex plat for years and years and have never gotten the full 200.00 value of the selected airline credit. As I am United Plat, I have no baggage fees and mostly fly international business so no need for purchasing onboard food/drinks/entertainment. I usually can get maybe 50.00 value out of this benefit a year for my occasional domestic inflight purchases. Really would like to find out how to maximize this!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:51 am
mia

Originally Posted by cece4
... Really would like to find out how to maximize this!
Read the Wikipost at the top of this thread with particular attention to the Registry, deposits to which are reliably reimbursed:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-ua-only.html

Last edited by mia; Jan 23, 2017 at 8:03 am
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by karstenth
Does anybody know if they can redeem .02 for other user beside the card holder? Thanks!
Yes; have done it several times.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mia
Read the Wikipost at the top of this thread with particular attention to the Registry, deposits to which are reliably reimbursed:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-ua-only.html

OMG - What rock have I been hiding under??
Easy...peasy...especially if it actually works!

Only problem was that (like others) I could not find myself and had to go back in to add a goal before it found me in the registry once I was ready to fund it.

Thank you so much!^
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cece4
OMG - What rock have I been hiding under??
^
Clearly in a dimension far far away from Flyertalk!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA*G
Originally Posted by United747
Doesn't look like it:

My emphasis
This is not a data point

I would appreciate if someone could confirm if they recieved or rather didnt recieve the 1 extra point for booking through amextravel.com with the platinum card since the earning changed to 5 X for travel

The extra point for booking through amextravel.com typically posts to MR 30 days after your booking

Last edited by yul7075; Jan 23, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.