Should I keep my Delta Platinum Amex?

Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Should I keep my Delta Platinum Amex?

I was just approved for the Chase Reserve and I plan on making that my primary card. I also am planning to get the companion pass for SW. My question is should I keep my Delta Platinum Amex? It costs $195 a year and the only real perks at this point are annual companion fare, priority boarding and free checked bags. I fly at least once a month and Delta is my preferred airline however once I get the CP I will be flying mostly SW domestically. Any other perks for Amex that I'm missing?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:46 am

Probably depends on how often you'll fly Delta and check in a bag. If you regularly check in bags, and say you fly Delta even twice a year, that's $100 round trip. Couple that in with the companion certificate and it seems like you would come out ahead.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:06 pm

You could consider downgrading to the Delta Gold - also has priority boarding and free checked bag, but no companion ticket or MQM earning. Annual fee is $95.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bodiddely
You could consider downgrading to the Delta Gold - also has priority boarding and free checked bag, but no companion ticket or MQM earning. Annual fee is $95.
I'd advise against this unless the OP has already had a Gold card, because it would stop him from getting the sign up bonus.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:51 pm

The delta platinum is also good for the bonus miles and Mqms if you do $25,000.00 annual spend. If you put $25,000 annual and it helps with elite status is say that's more valuable than everyday spend on the new reserve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.